Colorado 1st Rifle vs Muzzleloader

So last year I hunted south central CO during the muzzleloader season on a leftover tag and will likely be going back to Colorado barring a very good luck in AZ or NM draws for some. I was fairly underwhelmed with my season/unit experience and am considering different options for this year, though I realize that in some ways the knowledge from last year makes going back a lot better odds for me in someways too.

Looking at gohunt.com odds it seems there are a lot of units you can get into with zero or a few points for first rifle season while the muzzleloader hunts are generally a lot harder to draw? Its hard to tell success rates with cross unit reporting, though they seem pretty similar in most cases. What is the take on the less desirable hunts for muzzleloader vs first rifle vs even second rifle? Do people just go for Colorado 2nd rifle because its OTC instead of applying in a lottery with high draw odds for first rifle in a lot of units or is 2nd better in some ways? It seems that first rifle would be the best season for a lot of hunters. I was very surprised by the amount of pressure bowhunters in Colorado put on the elk herds before muzzleloader season and felt there was not enough bugling to offset the weapons limitations of the rifle seasons.

Rifle over muzzleloader is definitely a plus in that I may fly to Denver this year depending on who comes along.

I'm just looking for a general take because it seems like Colorado elk season are a long slow burn of pressure and opportunity.

I think a lot of people build points and hunt OTC Rifle in the off years they aren't drawing limited units.

First Rifle is only 5 days, 1 weekend so I think that seals the deal for a lot of people.

Depending on the area elk might do a lot of migrating between muzzleloader and rifle seasons. Some of the lower units are going to be better later in the season while some of the high alpine units are going to be better during archery.

Also I would guess that generally speaking 2nd season is where you are most likely to be able to draw a deer and elk tag and a lot of people like to be able to hunt both simultaneously and don't have the time to come out twice.

Ditto on the combo elk/deer hunt for 2nd rifle.
My experience (not vast) is that there are much fewer hunters in 1st rifle, at least where I've been going in units 18/181 (NW part of the state).
2nd and 3rd rifle see a TON of orange, and most of the work is just getting away from that.
Last year was kind of strange because of the weather (really warm).
Where I've been the last couple of years, I see deer at most altitudes, elk are high in 1st rifle.
Haven't gone for muzzy yet -- hoping to do that this year.

Shoot straight and be safe.

--Dana

I prefer archery and muzzleloader because the elk are usually vocal and rutting. Usually the first couple shots in 1st season and the elk head for private land.

I like both Muzzleloader and 1st rifle. In 2014, our Muzzleloader hunting group was 50% successful. Skipped 2015. In 2016, our 1st rifle group was 100% successful. We saw lots of elk during both seasons, lots of bears, and tons of hunters. Nowadays, I prefer the 1st rifle season as that's the only break in Montana's hunting season. Getting really excited for Colorado's 1st Rifle season in 2017!

I guess I hadn't consider that 1st rifle is a shorter season that some of the others and forgot about the accumulated points in CO. I prefer a shorter season generally so I do like that.

I knew the deer elk combo was doable during 2nd season.

Last year I hunted the first half of muzzleloader season, it was warm with a full moon and I was fairly far south so bugling was minimal. I definitely would approach it differently if I go back to that unit and hunt again. Talking to the locals they were definitely most excited about first rifle elk and I was surprised that it was easier to draw.

.... Last year I hunted the first half of muzzleloader season, it was warm with a full moon and I was fairly far south...

Pretty sure it was very warm through 3rd season last yr in CO. Not sure about 4th season. I hunted 2nd season it was VERY warm.

Be Safe,

I live in South Central Colorado. I can usually draw a muzzleloader tag every 3rd year. That's my favorite hunt, as it's about 8 days, and a beautiful time to be in the mountains. Thing is, I don't think the Bulls are very fired up during this season. Most of the time, they may bugle, but reluctant to come to a call(s).
As for 1st season, many think that if you don't get a Bull opening weekend, your odds drop dramatically, as the Elk are then hard to find. I think 2nd season used to have a low hunter success rate, but that seems to be changing. Aside from a person's luck, the weather and other factors might dictate how and where the Elk are. Around here, I think both 1st & 2nd season has no shortage of orange out there. Hard to say if hunter density is significantly more for either season.
If you're able to hunt all 5 days of the 1st rifle season, you're probably tired enough to let it go at that. Hunting 2nd season, you can actually take a day off, or not hunt if bad weather hits, and still have some more time to hunt. So there's pros and cons to both seasons.

I prefer archery and muzzleloader because the elk are usually vocal and rutting. Usually the first couple shots in 1st season and the elk head for private land.

What he said.....you just never know what kind of weather muzzleloader season will bring. I muzzleloader hunt unit 41 and sometimes its crazy hot sometimes its perfect and cool. Good luck!

I would take Muzzleloader over 1st rifle. 1st rifle is easy to get even though it's a draw. Alot of leftovers/second choice tags, etc. Alot of elk get the hell outta dodge by lunch on opening day.

This'll be my second muzzleloader hunt, pending draw but I'm fine with a cow tag. I'm looking at some otc second or third season if I don't bag in muzzleloader

I've hunted mzl and 1st rifle in southern CO with about the same success, I enjoyed both hunts, but the last one was ~15 years ago. I took my granddaughter on her first elk hunt this year (1st rifle season) and she shot a bull the first morning, so that was neat.

Now I usually bowhunt because it's OTC and fits my schedule better. I guess I would prefer the mzl over 1st rifle because of the time of year and possible rut activity, but some units require an insane number of points for non-resident (4-5), while the 1st rifle hunt may only take 0-1. There are also typically fewer hunters in the woods on mzl hunt, although if you add the bowhunters back in it might not be that much different. But the mzl usually seems less crowded no matter how you count it, and I'm usually bowhunting during some of that week.

I'd pick muzzleloader. In some places elk migrate due to weather, in Colorado they migrate because of rifle season, and very soon, if not already they'll migrate because of the sheer number of people just out recreating in the mountains. The last 5 years this has become very noticeable to me at least. Places I use to think were pretty remote have a lot of human traffic now

Hunt country that isn't pretty and you won't have the recreationist problem. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back