Color Variations

Elkhunter

What color bear would you want most to get and what colors have you got so far?

I would want a blonde one the most then I would say a chocolate or cinnamon. As far as what I have gotten so far, haven't yet got one so I guess I would have to say clear.

One of these years I want a glacial (blue) bear. Or maybe a kermode (sp) white bear.
So far all I have gotton were blacks but I am always keeping my eyes open. Although I live in the wrong part of the state for a blue or white bear :(

Here in az we have blacks, chocolate, blondes and cinnimon... The one I want the most is a glacier bear then the Blonde..

Delw

I just want a bear Im not too picky right now.But if I had a choice I think it would be a black one with the brown muzzle.Tomorrow it may change tho for what I want. :D

Color don't matter.... I just want a BIG one for a change :D :D

A true blond bear would be cool, but I still like the JET black with the white spot on the chest... Always a favorite to me !!!!!

i would love to get a blonde got a black and cinamon black bear, hell its just a thrill to hunt them tough since you cant use bait or hounds in washington but still fun Archer ;)

I'm not looking for any thing in particular this year. It will be my first year to activly start chasing them. If it squares out to about four feet. That will be just about right for my small house :D :D :D

If it's a bear I'm trying for it!!! I've never hunted one, yet gotten one so I'm not gonna be picky. However, sometime I'd love to have a blonde one for a rug.

lilbiggun,

As you know, the Kermode bears are extremely rare. I've been talking to Johnnie Laird (Muskeg Excusions) via e-mail, about hunting them. Basically the chance are slim to none. There's more of them in B.C. where it's illegal to hunt them, than in Alaska.

The Portland Canal, the long stretch of water going up to Hyder, which seperates much of Alaska from Canada is the only real spot to find one. Johnnie guides there quite a bit, and has only seen a couple.

I've given some thought to heading there in my boat, but that's a very long way between fuel stops. It would be a nearly zero chance hunt, with lot's of weather and boat concerns involved. I guess one could always just shoot a regular black bear, and hold out with the second tag for a Kermode.

Glacier bear are much more "doable". Still being that selective really reduces the chance of being sucessfull. I'd head toward Juneau or Gustavus area looking for one of those. There's a Glacier bear mount in the airport here. It's really not all that great looking. More like gray hair (which should look more blue in the sun) than anything else.

The areas I'm hunting next week are all regular "black" black bears. I guess there's more color variation on the mainland.

Brian,
I heard Johnny mention a few times about the kermode bears. It would be great just to see one and imagine if you actually got one in your sights. WOW.

Where I'm going next month (Tok) my buddies have a pulled a couple of cinnamons out of the area. I wouldnt mind one of those either.

lilbiggun,

I'm so glad to hear you were able to put together a hunt! I still feel bad about not being able to hunt with you next month. Nothings changed though, it's still a bad month for me to hunt, due to work issues. I may get a weekend or two, to get out locally and look for brownies, but that's all.

There was an 8' brownie taken in a nearby bay this weekend, so I guess they're starting to show up.

If I ever decide to waste my time Kermode hunting, I'll let ya know. But I'll make darn sure there's no more problems with scheduling this time!

Finding even a medium size blond bear is very difficult. Most black bears get darker as they get older. A bear that is blond when a cub quickly turns brown by the time it's a year or two old. I've only ever seen one bear over 150 pounds that was a blond phase and the guy I was showing how to bear hunt got so excited he missed it four times from about 125 yards. :D

Brian,
No problems on our hunt, After 9 years in the military, I understand how it works sometimes. Theres always some other time to get together for a hunt.

That brownie that was brought in was it rubbed? Up here tam had 1 turned in and it was rubbed pretty good. It doesnt look promising for a decent bear this spring. MAybe the bears in Tok will hit the snooze button and sleep in.

Any signs of blackies out yet. I havent heard of to many blackie sightings up here yet, just brown.

Haven't gotten one yet. Plenty of chances though.I have seen blondes, cinnamons, browns and blacks. I have heard that the drier the climate the more color phase and lighter they get. Where we usually hunt they are blonde or cinnamon, either would work just fine for me.

I have shot one bear, a blond phase bear. Would like one of another color now. I watched a show about bears and they said the habitat of the bear influences the color the most. Areas that are very dense with poor sunlight, as in the north and north east have a high rate of black and dark phase bears. The more open areas with more direct sunlight produce higher rates of color phases. For what its worth, it might influence where you go hunt if you are looking for a blond or light phase exclusively.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back