MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

collage.....

Moosie

Grand poopa
Or however you spell that place for that "Higher learnin' educational stuff". Just wondering at what age you would let your kid take a class ? I think I've mentioned this already but the more they let my oldest take tests in school the higher he's testing. He's in 4th grade now and he's reading at Jr College level. We have him in sports and he likes sports to de-nerdify him too much but that dang kid loves to learn. He's picking up German right now from my mom although I think Spanish is better for him but he wants to take higher edjikation class's.

Whats your thoughts ? (Besides that he's not my kid ;) ).

As long as he does'nt miss the day to day contact with his peers, I say go for it. It would be sorta like a Field Trip. The reason I said what I did about his peers is I see some of these Kids lose touch with there social interactions by being away from the normal Childhood stuff. Some of these Kids grow up to be Biologist who hang out in Bars and pick up Fat Chicks. John

Oscar, we are going at the end of the month to check on a program that would allow Codie(TE) to take college courses his junior and senior years of high school.
But I think your situation would be considered different. I don't know what to tell you. There are disadvantages either way plus benefits either way. :confused:

Whats your thoughts ? (Besides that he's not my kid ).

"besides that", what ever he wants....wouldnt worry about spanish, he will probably tackle that when he's done with the german.
i bet your dad wishes he had a son like that ;) congrats Oscar!

My opinion is that you really need to judge the kid and his maturity level to how hard you either want to push or how quickly you want to let him/her mature. Two examples in my own family (both nephews-different parents).

The first boy was a bright kid that didn't have many social skills. My sister even home schooled for a few years...kid ended up taking JR college classses at 12, GED'n out of high school at 14, and grauated JR college with an AA degree in computer electronics at 16. He can speak Italian and Latin, can do complex math faster in his head than most people can with a calculator and can debate "grown ups" better than Jose. Problem is he has NO social skills with kids his own age and due to his youth, isn't all that marketable in the work force. Now he's kind of a homebody recluse of sorts.

Other nephew started taking college courses at 13, stayed in public school and also played sports, when he got into college at 16 (he had skipped 5th grade) he finsihed his AA in just over a year (due to the early advanced classes) and got his BS at 19. All that aside, he just finished his 2nd tour (I've posted a pic or two on this board of him before) in Iraq as a Marine.

Two bright kids...two VERY different responses to getting a jump start in life.
Regardless of what is suggested here- You can only do what fits you child's makeup and then HOPE for the best!

Something to be said for age/grade progression & excellence among his peers Moosie. As others have stated, maturity is key for accelerated scholastic path.
As for as languages, Californyspanglish should serve him well in Idaho...meanwhile congrads on a cool kiddo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back