CO units 75/751

WildWill

My hunting partner and I will be headed to Colorado on July 28th for three days of scouting. We will be hunting the either sex OTC tag from September 4-10 and after looking at Colorado P&W hunting statistics and aerial maps we've chosen to focus on units 75/751. This will be our first elk hunt and our first hunting trip out of state and I am looking for any information on these two units. I don't want anyone's honey hole just some general knowledge of the area terrain type, camping areas, road conditions, etc. I am 26 and my partner is 37 we are both in good shape but we are complete flatlanders I'm pretty sure what we call a mountain here in Oklahoma wouldn't even qualify as a hill in Colorado. We plan on camping out of our pop up camper and using it as a base camp but are not afraid of hiking in and setting up a bivy camp to use as a sort of FOB. Any words of wisdom or encouragement would be greatly appreciated by two rookies.

I hunted in 75/751 a few years ago during first rifle near the Vallecito Reservoir. I don't remember the terrain being as bad as some of the places I've been to. I remember there being a decent amount of outfitters in the area and a lot of locals on horses. Your archery hunt will probably have less pressure than a first season rifle hunt. On the bright side, I saw about 150 elk in 5 days. I'm a flatlander like you and my best advice would be to be in the best possible shape you can be.

I've hunted the Weminuche in 751. That is some steep nasty country for sure but there are some nice elk in there if you are willing to hike in deep and go high. I'd recommend having a packer lined up for helping you pack anything you shoot out of the wilderness because you more than likely will be many miles from the trailhead.

Check out the area above and around Henderson Lake up off Missionary Ridge which is north of Durango. I saw a lot of good Elk before the big fire. That will be 2 cents please.....no PayPal. John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back