Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

CO or WY 14 points Deer (2021)

Rodzilla

If you had to choose one hunt to burn your points on this year (CO or WY), which one would you choose? I have 14 deer points for both states , I can take a week off to hunt, limited scouting (I live in California). Expectation would be to have fun hunt, hopefully passing little bucks daily in hopes to shoot 170ish or better buck (ultimately happy to take home a 170 inch buck). Leaning on CO 3rd season with the season date changes. Fear that they are wiping high age bucks big time this year. I am sure big bucks will survive 2021, but waiting for 2022 may prove slim pickings in CO?

Which one would you pick?

I think your logic is sound. Hard to look at the 2021 dates in Colorado and not get excited there. Wyoming’s dates don’t typically fluctuate much, so you can always try your chosen WY hunt on the same dates in 2022.

Agreed. Wyoming was decent last year but CO has too much change going on not to get in there sooner than later. That’s what I’m doing.

yeah, CO sounds like the safer bet. Thinking CO is going to be in many peoples mind this year; cringing at thought of point creep , I figure that if I go with CO I will have to pick 3rd season units that took 10-12 points just to draw with my 14 points. The 3rd season that intrigues me took 11-12 last year.

Just ready to cash my points in both states, maybe WY next year, coming to the realization I will never be able to get unit 130 with 1 less than max points (looking like units 90 & 87 sounds may be obtainable).

I could be way off here, but based on the later season dates in 2021, I'm fearful that in 2021, some 3rd season hunts that typically take 0 or 1 points to draw could jump to 10-12 points (the amount of points it typically takes to draw a 4th season tag in the same unit or maybe a little less based on there being alot more tags to draw) based on that fact that 3rd season 2021 dates are essentially 4th season 2020 dates. I'm dying to get my hands on a 3rd season tag in 2021 and all the past years I'd probably be a shoe in for the unit I wanna hunt with the points I have, but I think the 2021 colorado mule deer draw is gonna be a different animal.

I think the 2021 colorado mule deer draw is gonna be a different animal.
Couldn’t agree more. I think the point creep will be severe. I have 17 points and I’m sorta sweating out my choice, even though it would’ve been a slam dunk in the past. One of my concerns is that I believe there’s gonna be more than a few high-point applicants move from targeting 4th season dates to targeting 3rd season this year. Not to mention all the habitual point buyers (like me) who will jump in from the sidelines. Gonna be interesting, for sure!

One of my concerns is that I believe there’s gonna be more than a few high-point applicants move from targeting 4th season dates to targeting 3rd season this year. Not to mention all the habitual point buyers (like me) who will jump in from the sidelines.
You nailed it! I think these two things are gonna drive crazy year over year point creep in CO this year.

I will argue the reverse, draw in Wyoming cause its more predictable. Unless you have specfic zone and dates you want(in CO) and happy to spend points doing it you may want to see how apps and points fall, you may not draw or be highest point app with differences(uncertainty). I am probably the worse person for advice on this as i would of burned points 5-8 years ago and been on second or third hunt already.

Either way if you get a tag i am sure it will be a great hunt, good luck.

yeah, CO sounds like the safer bet. Thinking CO is going to be in many peoples mind this year; cringing at thought of point creep , I figure that if I go with CO I will have to pick 3rd season units that took 10-12 points just to draw with my 14 points. The 3rd season that intrigues me took 11-12 last year.

Just ready to cash my points in both states, maybe WY next year, coming to the realization I will never be able to get unit 130 with 1 less than max points (looking like units 90 & 87 sounds may be obtainable).
I think you’re dialed in. Keep in mind WY had some tough winters s few years ago. definitely CO and don’t shoot for the moon on units. creep is likely going to be 2+ pts in desired units.

I have 3 more points than required last year for 3rd rifle. I think I will put in for 2nd for less chance I get burned.

I have 3 more points than required last year for 3rd rifle. I think I will put in for 2nd for less chance I get burned.

This has crossed my mind as well; depends how lucky I feel. The 3rd season unit that I like took about 11 points; 2nd season unit only 7. It feels kinds weird burning my 14 points on a tag that usually takes 7 points. Hard decisions to make indeed. I would like to be in the Gunnison Basin this fall.

I could easily see 5 point required increases in 3rd and 4th rifle deer hunts in Colorado this year on hunts that take any points. A lot of people who have been on the sidelines (like the OP) will be jumping in to use their points. Wyoming will be predictable. If you want to make sure you hunt, apply in Colorado, then apply in Wyoming, and return your Colorado tag if you draw both. Eat the Colorado tag fee and get your points back.

I'm in a similar situation. We have 3-4 points more than what was required to draw a particular tag last year. I think we're going to try and burn them this year. It'll be very interesting to see how the point creep jumps with the later seasons.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see point creep in Colorado this year. Many may burn points thus resulting in point decrease in 2022???????? I would plan on 2 to 3 point jump this year

It will be interesting to see point creep in Colorado this year. Many may burn points thus resulting in point decrease in 2022???????? I would plan on 2 to 3 point jump this year
I tend to agree with your prediction. We'll see for sure.

If you want to make sure you hunt, apply in Colorado, then apply in Wyoming, and return your Colorado tag if you draw both.
I don't think you'll even have to do that this year. The CO 2021 draw results are supposed to be posted May 24-28 per the big game regs i received the other day. This is about a week or two earlier then years past. If CO posts their results May 24-28, you should be able to have your CO results prior to the WY deadline on June 1.

Attachments

• IMG_7153.jpg
    IMG_7153.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8

90 and 87 are excellent! You’re on the right track there.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back