CO leftovers

Brutal. Re-asking for your hunter ed # at the end? wtf.

Which doesn't make sense at all.. DOW told me that number doesn't mean anything and you better have your hunter ed card on you when you get checked. One year I drove all the way out there and left my card at home but had a tag from the year before and they still wouldn't sell me a tag. I told them I was an IHEA instructor and they said sorry you need to go to a DOW office. Went to the DOW office and luckily they were able to get ahold of some from Indiana DNR. The number they gave them wasn't the number of my original card and they didn't care. I got my tag and the nice people at the DOW office in Denver put my number in so I wouldn't need a card for Colorado anymore.

Which doesn't make sense at all.. DOW told me that number doesn't mean anything and you better have your hunter ed card on you when you get checked. One year I drove all the way out there and left my card at home but had a tag from the year before and they still wouldn't sell me a tag. I told them I was an IHEA instructor and they said sorry you need to go to a DOW office. Went to the DOW office and luckily they were able to get ahold of some from Indiana DNR. The number they gave them wasn't the number of my original card and they didn't care. I got my tag and the nice people at the DOW office in Denver put my number in so I wouldn't need a card for Colorado anymore.

It's a completely needless step. You have already qualified for a resident or non-resident license by providing your Hunter Ed number to CPW. What possible purpose does it serve to require that number ever again? If the thought was was for account verification, then it must be made crystal clear that this Hunter Ed number is as important as your password for account verification. Which is ridiculous because the Hunter Ed # is public information.

What I'm really mad about is it will take me 3 years to hunt a deer int he county that I live :confused: . With a smooth leftover process, I would have at least had a fighting chance. As is, I was on at 8:50AM, got booted at least 5 times, and did not get a tag.

It's a completely needless step. You have already qualified for a resident or non-resident license by providing your Hunter Ed number to CPW. What possible purpose does it serve to require that number ever again? If the thought was was for account verification, then it must be made crystal clear that this Hunter Ed number is as important as your password for account verification. Which is ridiculous because the Hunter Ed # is public information.

What I'm really mad about is it will take me 3 years to hunt a deer int he county that I live :confused: . With a smooth leftover process, I would have at least had a fighting chance. As is, I was on at 8:50AM, got booted at least 5 times, and did not get a tag.

The online residency proof step is a garbage time waster as well. The resident license holder has already jumped through the CPW hoops to prove residency. So now require them to enter an arbitrary date every time they try and buy a tag? Needless

Which is ridiculous because the Hunter Ed # is public information.

Agree with it being absurd that they require this extra step... but I don't think this is correct. My wife took hunter's safety when she was like 10... then didn't hunt for 18 years, lost the card, didn't have a CPAW account ect... getting department to cough up her hunters ed number so she could buy a MT hunting license was a nightmare... it was legitimately easier to do passport name change when we got married.

Agree with it being absurd that they require this extra step... but I don't think this is correct. My wife took hunter's safety when she was like 10... then didn't hunt for 18 years, lost the card, didn't have a CPAW account ect... getting department to cough up her hunters ed number so she could buy a MT hunting license was a nightmare... it was legitimately easier to do passport name change when we got married.

I'm sure it's different for all of the states, but mine is public. https://public.myfwc.com/hgm/huntersafety/student.aspx

Yeah in CO they are apparently... a state secret...

So i have a question if a certain unit has alot of left over tags is it because its a not so great unit and not alot hunters want ghat certain tag. I picked up a mule deet tag for unit 27/181 with no problems so was just curious

The leftover list included returned and failed payment licenses, which is why there were many options that required points in the regular draw.

Yea I fully understand the system just amazed how bad it sucks. All that and I still couldn't get a tag...

So i have a question if a certain unit has alot of left over tags is it because its a not so great unit and not alot hunters want ghat certain tag. I picked up a mule deet tag for unit 27/181 with no problems so was just curious

The game biologists give there input on how many animals per unit to maintain a healthy herd. They also help manage units for age class. People will read in all the hunting magazines, internet, watch hunting shows, and listen to the advice from the 16 year old at the Hunting store about what unit is the "best" and that will drive tag purchases. I for one try to look for the sleeper units and can hunt every year and not burn points if I don't want to. 27/181 are good units, which season did you get?

Last edited:
I got 2nd rifle redman i here the weather is bad in Colorado already im in hawaii so ill just be happy being up there hunting

So what would happen when the system works flawlessly and your info goes through lightning speed but you still don't draw a tag? What will you complain about then????

So what would happen when the system works flawlessly and your info goes through lightning speed but you still don't draw a tag? What will you complain about then????

Politics, women, the weather. The usual.
The Colorado draw system is so convoluted that the leftover list gives a ray of hope. For that system to not be up to code on usability and availability is worth bitching about because that is how developers fix their applications. I doubt CPW has a formal bug reporting or usability program, but I could be wrong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back