Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

CO leftover list is available

Apply for 15 years and make a mistake???let alone seeing hundreds of people make mistakes…..nah
If your sitting at 10-15 points….your in no man’s land and you’ll NEVER catch up. Furthermore, If all of your “deadbeat tag buyers” never come west of the Mississippi in their life then, it is a plausible argument that this is happening….

Return the tag, get ready, get set, now refresh, then buy….that’s how it used to be….it was happening and now it’s happening on a different level.

Don’t underestimate peoples abilities to be crafty.

At the very least, It would be VERY interesting to see who is turning tags back in.
A guy would really have to have luck on his side to pull this off is what I’m saying. As a non res with 10-15 there are certainly some pretty good tags you can draw, not top tier by any means but good enough that I don’t see just throwing in the towel for the off chance your kid scores a 3 point tag.

Your already in the tag your app fees and the qualifying license price (100.00 ish??) and that’s if you turn in before the fee period. Then you also don’t gain a point, it goes into the secondary draw and there is 20 other kids after the same tag. Your putting in a ton of effort and expense for a 3 point tag? The one tag you added to the secondary draw isn’t going to help your kids odds that much. Pick a decent unit with a bunch of available tags and put them in a cross your fingers.

The old system with the “turn in, get ready get set refresh” system you would need almost more luck on your side. I picked up plenty of tags on that and my success rate was NOT high on getting tags. Like 10 in the cart for units all over the place before I would actually get one. And I wasn’t picky. If I had been trying for the one tag my buddy turned in the week before I never would have got a tag. You had no idea when that particular tag was going to drop and 100 other guys were refreshing trying to score anything that popped up.

Not to mention eating the license cost at turn in. For a non res that’s not a cheap gamble to refresh like crazy to buy your license a second time!

If you factor in the app fees, qualifying license, the actual cost of the tag that you lost during turn in and pay yourself 10.00 an hour to refresh the list all day every day trying to pick up that particular tag you could have bought a unit wide voucher and probably saved some coin!

109 tags were reissued via the reissue list last year that required more than 5 resident pp to draw.

That does not include tags that required more than 5pts that were part of the secondary draw.
Which tags were worth more than 5 R pts in secondary? Best I can tell the highest pt tags this year in secondary, for elk, we're all 4 pointers
Ee069o1m
Em069o1r
Em851o1m
Em020o2r

The example was someone returning a tag worth 22 nr pts so their kid could pick it up on secondary. It's just simply not happening that way, those tags all go out via the 5+ route and never hit secondary or lo day, they all get snatched by other applicants via phone calls or on reissue, like you mentioned.

The highest nr pt value of those 4 is 851 at 11, the other 3 are middle single digit pt value, considerably less than 22.

Last edited:
The example was someone returning a tag worth 22 nr pts so their kid could pick it up on secondary. It's just simply not happening that way, those tags all go out via the 5+ route and never hit secondary or lo day, they all get snatched by other applicants via phone calls or on reissue, like you mentioned.
Agree, no one is dumping a tag for a kid to get. It's more a secondary effect.

@BoulderBulls my main issues is that CPW repeatedly has said "oh reissue isn't a big deal it's a handful of tags.

Sure... out of 250k elk tags it's a 1,000 or so total.

But, it's a decent percentage of the limited tags, and it's an insane percentage of high point tags, especially if you consider that for a number of units the NR quota is 1.

There are two separate issues in CO... crowding, which is a can of worms that includes non-consumptive users ( I'm crowded by backpackers in my spots waaaaay more than hunters) and point creep, which is really only an issue for the handful of hard to draw units.

Current opinion which is subject to change, as I learn and listen. Allocations should be 80/20 for all units that took 5 resident points the year before, and it floats so could shift back if resident demand decreases. As far as crowding, make all archery hunts draw and then see what that does for a couple of years.

1658947314045.png

@BoulderBulls my main issues is that CPW repeatedly has said "oh reissue isn't a big deal it's a handful of tags.

Sure... out of 250k elk tags it's a 1,000 or so total.

But, it's a decent percentage of the limited tags, and it's an insane percentage of high point tags, especially if you consider that for a number of units the NR quota is 1.

There are two separate issues in CO... crowding, which is a can of worms that includes non-consumptive users ( I'm crowded by backpackers in my spots waaaaay more than hunters) and point creep, which is really only an issue for the handful of hard to draw units.

Current opinion which is subject to change, as I learn and listen. Allocations should be 80/20 for all units that took 5 resident points the year before, and it floats so could shift back if resident demand decreases. As far as crowding, make all archery hunts draw and then see what that does for a couple of years.

View attachment 231578
I think eliminating the OTC tags west of i25 like your suggesting would radically improve the elk hunting state wide in about 5 years.

I think eliminating the OTC tags west of i25 like your suggesting would radically improve the elk hunting state wide in about 5 years.
I think another sublet move that would have the same effect would be to change OTC to unlimited but only available for purchase during the draw + no refunds.

Simply eliminate the ridiculous flexibility and leniency, no resident elk hunter is that hard up for $50 and very few other states offer refunds on tags.

Example 1: The guy who drew the EE012O1M as a NR with 22 points.....You cant honestly tell me that he had ANY intention of hunting that unit on 22 points as a NR....I bet you good money that his tag is one of the two tags that got turned back in and made the secondary list.....This is the kind of crap that I'm suggesting is happening.
I would honestly bet this guy thought he was applying for 201. Look at the code closely and it’s easy to see. He’s got all the right numbers (and that pesky O/0)in all the wrong places. It also wouldn’t surprise me if he’s hunting in 201 this fall completely clueless. Sucks to be him because falling one behind with creep at that point level is gonna cost him a few years if he catches it and turns in.

Peoples ability to screw up never ceases to amaze me. Look at Utah, even with unit names rather then numbers (Manti lasal vs Lasal mountains) they still have people drawing the “wrong” tag. I personally know of a few screwups, had a buddy put his girlfriend in for a zero point tag not knowing that her dad had put her in for points since she was 12. That one didn’t get caught until the next year when her dad mentioned that she should be getting real close to 61. Ouch.

I do think you should lose points in the secondary and if you pick up a reissue, but I don’t believe the return rate has increased that much since a few years ago when CPW simply disposed of the turn ins.

The current process hasn’t been in place long enough for these people to hatch these elaborate plans of putting grandma in so she can build points so she can draw so she can turn in so grandkid can get a tag. I could be wrong but isn’t this the first year that you could turn in without paying for the license?

It’s out now… but I guess it’s thru a Google doc that you have to request access..? 🤷🏽‍♂️

It’s out now… but I guess it’s thru a Google doc that you have to request access..? 🤷🏽‍♂️
Seems on par with CPW these days haha... web department and game department weren't on the same page ha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back