CO DIY bull bear buck and lots of luck

Find any mushrooms?

Well since you asked. yes. This is the friend I was trying, mightily, to help get an elk (either sex), deer (either sex), bear....in other words, an if it is brown its down deal. He stopped in the midst of a run toward elk to not only pick a prime mushroom specimen for the next meal, but take its trophy photo.

And most offensive of all, note the poor taste in trophy photo form, sitting in FRONT of his quarry AND what's worse see how he is so darn cocky to be taking the hero shot even before the successful harvest.:eek: Had I not been there to see the kill, I would naturally assume the shroom wised up and bugged out.:D

No we never did hang any of his tags on any animal...but even as I write this I understand he has glitter glue and his Havalon and is making origami christmas tree ornaments of the tags as he scouts for his archery mountain goat hunt in a couple weeks. Starting to wonder if he was purposely saving those clean tags for that preferred purpose.

Ever heard the term "Some folks are just plain hard to help"? Well the food at camp was gourmet, at least, and it did not hinder my own tag-punching binge.:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 869
Last edited:
Done by October. What the heck are you going to do with the rest of the year?

Done by October. What the heck are you going to do with the rest of the year?

Wife texted me yesterday asking "When is coues season in AZ?" Now there's an idea.

Ideally someone will let me in on their hunt. I recently picked up mushroom tracking skills, know how to down animals within a half mile of truck/ATV (always a downhill packout) and a few other bad qualities.

If I get bloodthirsty(er) I will pick up a List C tag or buy a last minute Desert sheep cancellation :rolleyes:

Weather starts to turn, as it always does in late September. Focus is now deer. I look serious, no?

image-18.jpg

image-24.jpg

Did get in a single stalk on a good buck but other than that is was does and dinks that I could scrounge up all the way into the last couple days of the season.

image-26.jpg

Cool looking geologic outcrop.

image-22.jpg

Did find a buck foolish enough to let me into easy bow range. Following couple photos were taken after an arrow was buried into an aspen tree and a 2nd was buried in a buck (or was it the third arrow? cause the 2nd arrow also found a tree trunk?:eek: I have no memory of that congressman...) Maybe, if there is a hero shot, a look at the ammo in the quiver will give a clue.

image-20.jpg

image-15.jpg

]

Congrats on the great hunt. We shall see what other pictures you post up and how the rest of the hunt and hike out had to offer.

Wow, Congrats! that's one heck of good start! Very cool bear and elk pics. We found some "seaps", like you showed, on our first elk hunt last week. Are those usually good places to sit downwind from them if they have fresh sign? Do you just do that in the evenings?

All those cows walked by about 9:30-10-30 am. What i figured was this seep was on their route from night area to bedding area. They came by on way back up the mountain. I guess they may come by in the evening too. Definitely would not sit unless lots of sign. There were some fresh beds within 300 yards in this case. Seep on edge of black timber/open aspen boundary

Great job on the hunt and the pics. Those pics are real trophies.

Yes. They are for me and make it easier to pass on animals that you "bag" with camera in easy bow range. Like this one from a couple years ago.

NextBullafterHillsideShot.jpg

And this one I called in twice to 17 and then two minutes later to 24 yards but passed at full draw broadside both times. Gut wrenching decision for sure. Photo was taken after he had already stood broadside then walked past me and was headed back into the thick stuff. When I could barely see him back in the brush i decided I should seriously take another look ;) and bugled him back to me.

47107_1495944011562_4368064_n.jpg

And this flawed specimen nobody should want to take home.:rolleyes:

BrokeAt4th.jpg

Congrats on your trophies! Enjoyed the pics and story!

Great effort and a super hunting season by the looks of it...lovely country to be climbing into with tags in the pocket.

Well, here is the wrapup.

Last day forkie buck on a monthlong season.
image-10.jpg

packing deer off the hill

image-11.jpg

And for dinkshooter, the ATV convert.

image-21.jpg

The bull, bear, buck line up. Squeezed in all or parts of 15 days in the monthlong season. No whoppers (aside from the storytelling perhaps):hump:... but a trophy-class good time with some great friends throughout. Dating back to a a few sweltering days chasing lopes iin August with Dinkshooter.

774417_10201424518367893_1075481263_o.jpg

75922_10201424943138512_67779307_n.jpg

1262467_10201425000699951_840825195_o.jpg

883495_10201580717792781_1545749347_o.jpg

That's an awesome season there buddy.

I like that bear especially, congrats.

Congrats.... that is a very successful season.... no matter size, filling tags and the freezer trumps whoppers anyday or tag soup...... great memories,
Matt

awesome season very nice work with archery tackle, congrats!

Back