Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

CO CPW Draw Process Working Group

We are taking 130+/- ram hunters out of the drawing pool every year if we are OIL, yet apps are increasing by THOUSANDS every year. Makes zero sense.

"Changing to once-in-a-lifetime ram harvest results in no meaningful increase(hundredths of 1 percent) in the chance of drawing a license. This is because of the high, and increasing, applicant numbers in the draw. In other words, the continuous removal of the number of sheep hunters who harvest a ram from the pool of applicants applying for a ram license has a negligible effect on the chance of drawing a license. This is because the number of rams harvested annually (~130 for residents) is significantly less than the annual increases in resident applicant numbers for a ram license (3,822 applicants at 0+0 preference points in 2020, 6.8% annual increase thereafter). Essentially, the high and increasing applicant numbers swamp out the draw and nullify any increased draw percentage afforded by once-in-a-lifetime ram harvest."
I personally don't think there are many getting back in the draw after harvesting then waiting 5 years then get back to 3 years worth of points to be eligible in the 9th year since harvest any longer. Many choose desert sheep after killing a Rocky. I voted no on this but was out voted for simplicity and consistency across the big 4 species. In reality anyone that harvested a ram in the last 5 years now has 15000+ applicants ahead of them and with the approx. 2000+ new apps a year there are very slim chances of repeat ram tags in anyone's future.

Sandbrew

Agree, this is dumb that we are considering this for no real benefit to the "Draw Process" the group is tasked with.
the benefit to the draw process is a nod towards ‘fairness’, but mainly it’s:

I voted no on this but was out voted for simplicity and consistency across the big 4 species.

Nowhere in the working group charter is ‘increase draw odds’ listed as a main goal of the group so that shouldn’t be a filter on decision making.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back