Caribou Gear

CO bighorn sheep, mountain goat, and pronghorn raffles

Oak

Expert
*Thanks to @Big Fin for letting me post.

It's that time again for the Colorado statewide raffles. Buy early and often.

As usual, we have the Colorado statewide bighorn sheep, mountain goat, and pronghorn raffle licenses, as well as Swarovski optics and custom rifles. This year, there is one Weaver Rifles 6.5 PRC and one $5,000 credit with Weaver to build your own. I don't have a photo of the 6.5 PRC yet, but will add one when I get it.

Click here for more information and to purchase tickets

We're going to begin a concerted effort this year to find solutions to the mess below: 490 bighorn sheep (38 licenses this year) and thousands of domestic sheep each summer. It's going to take a lot of money.

RBS-21.jpg

Already bought some tickets! Feeing good this year… saw the email come in and new it was that time of year again.

Reactions: Oak
Please support RMBS with their fundraisers. They are doing amazing work against some terribly stacked political odds. The future of wild sheep in Colorado is terminal without @Oak and his crew giving a voice to these sheep. A look at that map shows who precarious the situation is for these wild sheep that have domestic sheep in their core ranges.

I don’t think I heard an age, and I haven’t seen a better view. It’s a nice ram.
I believe he (edit: goat hunter) shot another one last year or atleast in the last couple off the draw and that one was of similar caliber. Went to high-school with him but don’t have his number and I don’t any social media.

Last edited:
I believe he shot another one last year or atleast in the last couple off the draw and that one was of similar caliber. Went to high-school with him but don’t have his number and I don’t any social media.
I think you mean the goat.

Silly question here from a non-sheep hunter. I’d like to start getting more versed in sheep hunting… but the odds of drawing any sheep tags are so low.

With that being said, how does one decide if a person should be applying for Rocky Mountain goat or big horn?

Totally noob question, I know.

Silly question here from a non-sheep hunter. I’d like to start getting more versed in sheep hunting… but the odds of drawing any sheep tags are so low.

With that being said, how does one decide if a person should be applying for Rocky Mountain goat or big horn?

Totally noob question, I know.
Just buy lots and lots of raffle tickets!

In all seriousness though there are a few threads on the points game but if your a non resident your chances are almost impossible outside of raffles if your just getting into the game. If your a resident in a state with those animals you’ll have to dig in to it and depending on the state you could get lucky.

Just buy lots and lots of raffle tickets!

In all seriousness though there are a few threads on the points game but if your a non resident your chances are almost impossible outside of raffles if your just getting into the game. If your a resident in a state with those animals you’ll have to dig in to it and depending on the state you could get lucky.
I kinda mean, what “species”. Not really sure what the appeal is one over the other.

Super noob question… is the meat better on one over the other? Or is the fact that it’s just super rare of a hunt that makes it awesome?

I’m in Utah.

But yeah… might as well start buying some raffles!

Depending on your age you may have time to build points or their are some draws that are non point draws yes the tags are limited but to be up into those mountains with a tag in your pocket makes it worth it I have points but at my age not enough to get a tag in most states so I keep getting points and have a game plan for that, and always support RMBS in the raffles
The $ go to a great cause and think their were millions of sheep across the country at one time the effort to keep and expand heards is a huge one
Thanks again Oak

Reactions: Oak
Packed in 7 miles on mules for muzzy deer last fall smack in the middle of that map. We had two groups of domestic sheep get pushed through our camp on their way down off the forest on two different days. Conservative guess is 1,000 sheep per group. Too many sheep to push down at once, so the herders split them up into two. Mules were not fond of this, at all.

Thanks for posting this up and for the work RMBS does.

Please support RMBS with their fundraisers. They are doing amazing work against some terribly stacked political odds. The future of wild sheep in Colorado is terminal without @Oak and his crew giving a voice to these sheep. A look at that map shows who precarious the situation is for these wild sheep that have domestic sheep in their core ranges.
All but one of the allotments on that map are permitted to one of three families. I think it's important for people to know that the reason it will take millions of your dollars to resolve this issue is because a small number of permittees have more political clout than the 36,000 hunters who applied to hunt sheep in Colorado last year.

Here's another angle on the raffle ram. This herd is a direct result of a CPW trap and transplant funded in large part by auction and raffle funds. It reestablished this herd that died out decades ago. This is where these RMBS raised raffle funds go to create more herds and hunting opportunities for all.

I again will offer up 5 days of scouting or hunting help or online and phone consultation to any Hunttalk winner and I hope its you....or me! I met this lucky hunter at the RMBS Hunter Orientation and Meet & Greet this last summer. We chatted several times and he checked out this place after I suggested it might be a good place to look.... It was!

Sandbrew

2021 Raffle ram.jpg

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back