CO bighorn sheep, mountain goat, and pronghorn raffles

I'm sure some of you may have seen this raffle Oak snuck in before the others are drawn. Great hunt with odds and it will sell out fast.

View attachment 210961
I gotta get in on brokering these raffle type hunts up. $60k in raffle earnings for a $25k(?) moose hunt. Is this how Huntin’ Fool makes their money? 1 in 300 is 0.003% odds for $200. 😲

Last edited:
I gotta get in on brokering these raffle type hunts up. $60k in raffle earnings for a $25k(?) moose hunt. Is this how Huntin’ Fool makes their money? 1 in 300 is 0.003% odds for $200. 😲
It's a combination moose and grizzly hunt. The grizzly is an $11,900 add on to the moose hunt. We have also paid over $2,000 of the "additional costs" for the winner. Here is the outfitter's 2022 price list.

It's a combination moose and grizzly hunt. The grizzly is an $11,900 add on to the moose hunt. We have also paid over $2,000 of the "additional costs" for the winner. Here is the outfitter's 2022 price list.
I’m all for the profits going to your cause @Oak. Just saying, I wonder if it’s how Huntin’ Fool is making their money. Thanks for doing good things in the world of conservation.

Reactions: Oak
I kinda mean, what “species”. Not really sure what the appeal is one over the other.

Super noob question… is the meat better on one over the other? Or is the fact that it’s just super rare of a hunt that makes it awesome?

I’m in Utah.

But yeah… might as well start buying some raffles!
My experience is a mountain goat hunt can be physically very challenging and potentially un-alive you. Goats will find spots sometimes where when you see them you still can't get close enough to recover one if you shot that goat. Sometimes the hardest part of a sheep hunt is getting the tag in your pocket. There are some easy hunts for goats and sheep, though, and some nasty terrain hunts for each. Overall, the goat hunt may be harder on your body. You should see some awesome scenery on a hunt for a goat or a sheep. You know the superstition that a hockey player should not touch the Stanley cup until wins it on the ice? Don't touch a bighorn ram horn until you tipped it over on a hunt. That is my only caution for you as a noob. Catch the fever!!

You know the superstition that a hockey player should not touch the Stanley cup until wins it on the ice? Don't touch a bighorn ram horn until you tipped it over on a hunt. That is my only caution for you as a noob. Catch the fever!!
Uh oh. I might be in trouble. I've handled more dead rams (3) than I've seen rams in the wild (0)

1 in 6 lifetimes...
You guys are too worried about odds. If you have $200 to spend and want a chance then throw your name in. If you truly crunched the numbers on the odds I’d be shocked if these odds weren’t a lot better than most things we apply for. Worse case scenario you donate to a good organization.

With that being said. Winners happen. I won a mountain goat hunt that was 1/287 odds…

You guys are too worried about odds. If you have $200 to spend and want a chance then throw your name in. If you truly crunched the numbers on the odds I’d be shocked if these odds weren’t a lot better than most things we apply for. Worse case scenario you donate to a good organization.

With that being said. Winners happen. I won a mountain goat hunt that was 1/287 odds…
I just allocate some money in my budget for RMBS every year and see it as my donation to conservation. Hopefully I can grow that amount over time. I just saying I'm not buying tickets for the odds :)

This is where it goes, folks. Yesterday CPW transplanted 21 bighorn sheep from the Rampart herd to Beaver Creek, south of Skaguay Reservoir. These sheep will augment the remnant population that persisted following a die-off decades ago. This project was 100% funded by auction and raffle revenue generated by RMBS, except for CPW staff time.

Uh oh. I might be in trouble. I've handled more dead rams (3) than I've seen rams in the wild (0)
Don’t give it a thought. Helped a buddy with a AZ Desert Bighorn hunt, handled the heck out of his ram, then drew as a NR the next year.

Good advice. Can’t go into these things looking to win. Must look at it as a donation or you will be a sad pathetic human almost all the time.

And I will raise your 1/287 mountain goat tag to 1/2412…

Forgot to add a photo of the 6.5 PRC. This isn't the best photo, but it's all I have.

View attachment 211735

Crap. I’m a sucker for M70’s. Looks like another round of tickets coming. If I could win the credit there will be a sweet .270 homage to JOC but that ultra modern piece would do quite the trick on the mountain!

Reactions: Oak
Back