CO Archery Elk

elk_hunter

Gents, the time has arrived...my dad, brothers and I are headed to NW Colorado here in a few hours. We'll be filming and taking a bunch of pics...lots of memories and stories to follow for sure. Hopefully we can sweeten the deal with some kills! I'll be back online in a couple weeks!

Well guys, I'm back from the trip...cut the trip in half actually. Jacked my right knee so I'm back home nursing it instead of carrying a heavy pack and hiking miles and miles each day. Hoping to recover and get back out there to whack something with my bow. In the 11 years I've been hunting CO, it was the absolute worst by far in terms of animals. I don't know if the winter was bad last year or if the elk hadn't moved into their "fall" grounds instead of their "summer areas" or what is going on, but in 9 days of hardcore backcountry hunting, we got into maybe a dozen cows/calves. Could have taken a nice, fat lead cow at 5 yards but she had a little guy with her. Besides, I had already committed to A) a bull or B) tag soup. :D Anyway, a great trip with good memories hunting with my dad and brothers but pretty frustrating with no bugling and no bulls. Better luck next year I suppose!

Sounds like elk hunting. :D Its to bad your wrecked your knee, but it sounds like you still made some good memories and had a good time with the family. ;)

Sorry to here about your knee - I blew an ankle out several years ago on my last Elk hunt - it's not fun, I know...

Good times hunting with the family are just as memorable, and that bull you wanted will be bigger next year...

Rub some dirt on it & get after em.;)...good luck with your remaining hunts elkhunter.

I have to agree with Elk Hunter - just got back after a week in 161 saw two cows and that was it - one was really cool though - she game into my call so close I could pet her - she was within 6 feet before she turned around and trotted off. But no bulls or sounds just 80 degree weather. Will head back out tomorrow and see if I can do better. Hope your knee gets better soon. RJ

Just saving those bulls for us slob rifle hunters!!!!!!!!!!

I fugged up my knee elk hunting one year as well, it sucks. Luckily I had already killed and was out with someone else.

Still gimps up after being scoped once.

Still better than work I would guess.

I was just thinking to myself...I bet Dink and Khunter were up in that neck of the woods and probably rode around on ATVs and herded those elk down to their GMUs. That MUST be what happened, you jokers, you! :D

Elk Hunter

Ran into a couple of boys from Illinois one of which was having some breathing issues so got him out of the wilderness area and took him up near the Wyoming border where it was bit flatter and he could breathe but those were the only hunters I talked to. My camp was near Buffalo Ridge. Where were you located? I was in the Cabalas Lodge Pole tent on the creek.

Ron

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back