Clown Show - OYOA behind the scenes

I didn't think people would have any interest in this, but given the early results of this episode I should listen to the crew.
I think you need to do more of these it looks to be a big hit. I browsed though your channel and the original video of the hunt was posted 4 years ago, and has 165k views. The recap video is a week old with 95k views.

@ol_spark check out episode 101 of Randy's Hunt Talk podcast, you'll catch most of the story there

thanks for the heads up. While listening to it my wife kept saying let’s get to the truck, get to the truck. Of course, she watches 3 channels on tv on the same time also. Not patient with punch lines either. Now I know, ”the rest of the story”. Thanks

I really enjoyed this episode and would love to see more like it. One of the things I love about Randy and his show is that it's real. Mistakes are made, screw ups happen, plans go awry, shots are missed and sometimes they go home empty handed. Sounds like an average backcountry trip for me!

Randy has described an episode where he gets stuck in the snow and the game warden pulls him out. Does anyone know if that episode is available on youtube or amazon?

Me too. Testimony to a normally calm, yet pissed off, Finlander finally reaching his breaking point.

Hey Randy I could not help but notice the three stacks of yeti coolers in the garage, have you officially changed to having yeti as your cooler sponsor? This video was hilarious by the way. Especially the cameraman using all of the satellite phone minutes talking to his girlfriend, I had a buddy like that haven’t travelled with him since. Thanks for all the great content.

I feel like hearing the full story... almost snatching victory out of the jaws of defeat and then having everything blow up again, made the story so much more compelling.

My in-laws have cable and therefore sportsmans/outdoors channels.

Even show follows the same pattern;
1. narration about hunt,
2. B-roll hiking,
3. commercial break
4. talk about some "key" piece of gear
5. commercial
6. spot animal
7.commercial
8. get ready to shoot animal
9.commercial
10.kill shot
11. commercial
12. rewind to just before kill shot, kill shot again
13. commercial
14. Discussion of "how we dropped'em in their tracts"
15. trophy shot
16. end

The setup is so factory produced you could literally toss anyone in the host roll and it wouldn't matter.

Longwinded way of saying loved the video, would definitely be interested in more content like that (the neighbors lawn work 😂 ruining shots), the authenticity has been and continues to set OYOA apart and is why I'm a fan.

Hey Randy I could not help but notice the three stacks of yeti coolers in the garage, have you officially changed to having yeti as your cooler sponsor? This video was hilarious by the way. Especially the cameraman using all of the satellite phone minutes talking to his girlfriend, I had a buddy like that haven’t travelled with him since. Thanks for all the great content.

I'm surprised how many people make a point of the cooler situation. Given so many have asked, here is the deal.

Orion Coolers decided they were getting out of the hunting space. They informed me last October. If you are a company who is not interested in the hunting space, I'm not your guy. Even though our promo code showed us to be their largest source of direct to consumer sales, they decided to go a different direction. Nothing personal, just business. I wish them the best.

You don't see them here on Hunt Talk and you don't hear about them on the podcast. You won't see them in our content going forward. Just how the gig works.

I have a lot of friends in the industry in just about every product category. My buddy Sloane at YETI told me he was sending me some goodies, no strings attached. Along comes a pile of YETI coolers. I don't have a deal with YETI. Maybe I will someday. But, for the time being I'm happy to receive them and if it helps my friends, then it is a good situation for all.

Glad you liked the video. The camera guy in reference is a great guy. He'd been in AK for over two weeks by the time we joined up in Fairbanks to head out for this hunt. So by the time the transporter issues popped up, he'd been gone for a month. The good news is the girl friend who gave him legit reasons to be concerned dumped him a while later and he is now married to a wonderful lady and has a young son. Couldn't be happier for him.

I laughed my butt off watching this. It reminds me of my own failed hunts. Some times you just can't buy good luck! Helps to put it in perspective that some times everything works against you and you eat tag soup.

I'd enjoy watching more of them.

I think this type of content is excellent distractions to life. We can laugh, insert ourselves in our own screw ups, and really see what happens on one of these extreme back country hunts, and how when you rely on others it doesn't always turn out rosie.
I encourage these videos, will always watch them and encourage my friends and family to enjoy them as i have.
Keep up the excellent content, crew and attitude. Your the best.

I laughed my butt off watching this. It reminds me of my own failed hunts. Some times you just can't buy good luck! Helps to put it in perspective that some times everything works against you and you eat tag soup.

I'd enjoy watching more of them.

This thread deserves a bump. Very good stuff.

Seeing all the successful hunts on YouTube can get a little discouraging. Like if I'm not having success I'm doing something wrong. Well, sometimes it just isn't in the cards. It's comforting to know it took a hunter like Randy 3 trips to harvest an elk. I can relax and enjoy the experience without all the pressure of filling a tag.

The next shop story is about a hunt that went so bad, it didn't even make TV. New Mexico archery elk, 2011.

I almost died of the dysentery thanks to a camera guy who quit the night before season opened, which caused me to lose three of the six days of the hunt while waiting for a replacement camera guy, which is why I was scouting the opening morning instead of shooting the big bull I called in, which somehow resulted in me getting flat tire when I got back to the traihead, which caused me to go to town to get the tired fixed, which allowed me enough time to eat some authentic New Mexico 5-alarm chili while my tire was under repair, which resulted in a week of the dysentery and almost cost me the entire season while my GI tract tried to recover from authentic 5-alarm New Mexico chili.

Had the camera guy not wussed out, the chain of events above would not have happened. I would have hopefully killed a bull in that six-day hunt.

I felt like I had "ridden bareback on a belt sander" after having to deal with the GI issues from that chili. I couldn't walk, couldn't drive, couldn't sleep, couldn't blow a diaphragm call, couldn't do much of anything.

This episode falls close to the category of "Too much information," but we've all been there with some bad stomach problem that had lasting implications. So, I figured the audience could relate.

but we've all been there with some bad stomach problem that had lasting implications. So, I figured the audience could relate.

1998, Pheasant hunt, Paxton NE. Still have flashbacks of those 3 days.

The next shop story is about a hunt that went so bad, it didn't even make TV. New Mexico archery elk, 2011.

I almost died of the dysentery thanks to a camera guy who quit the night before season opened, which caused me to lose three of the six days of the hunt while waiting for a replacement camera guy, which is why I was scouting the opening morning instead of shooting the big bull I called in, which somehow resulted in me getting flat tire when I got back to the traihead, which caused me to go to town to get the tired fixed, which allowed me enough time to eat some authentic New Mexico 5-alarm chili while my tire was under repair, which resulted in a week of the dysentery and almost cost me the entire season while my GI tract tried to recover from authentic 5-alarm New Mexico chili.

Had the camera guy not wussed out, the chain of events above would not have happened. I would have hopefully killed a bull in that six-day hunt.

I felt like I had "ridden bareback on a belt sander" after having to deal with the GI issues from that chili. I couldn't walk, couldn't drive, couldn't sleep, couldn't blow a diaphragm call, couldn't do much of anything.

This episode falls close to the category of "Too much information," but we've all been there with some bad stomach problem that had lasting implications. So, I figured the audience could relate.

I can't wait LOL

I enjoyed this very much. Laughed many times. Then remembered boat with a crap motor incident on the St. Lawrence in the 1000 Islands area with swells towering over the boat while we muck with the motor. Oh I can relate!

Thanks for putting this out there and I look forward to seeing more.

The crew has heard the old stories of how train wrecks were more common at the beginning, but TV time constraints seemed to smooth the edges off what were "clown shows" in every sense of the term. The end result is me sitting down and telling the full story, the story that TV ended up cutting out.

I didn't think people would have any interest in this, but given the early results of this episode I should listen to the crew. This is an Alaska moose episode that just needed more than 22 minutes that TV allowed. And yeah, it didn't fit the TV model that everything is supposed to go as planned. So, we give a "Shop Story" version of it and loaded it on YouTube this morning.

That's one for the memory books for sure!

The crew has heard the old stories of how train wrecks were more common at the beginning, but TV time constraints seemed to smooth the edges off what were "clown shows" in every sense of the term. The end result is me sitting down and telling the full story, the story that TV ended up cutting out.

I didn't think people would have any interest in this, but given the early results of this episode I should listen to the crew. This is an Alaska moose episode that just needed more than 22 minutes that TV allowed. And yeah, it didn't fit the TV model that everything is supposed to go as planned. So, we give a "Shop Story" version of it and loaded it on YouTube this morning.

Thanks for sharing!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back