Climate Change

Anyone else notice the recent upward trend in volcanic activity? Early scientific consensus indicates that the earth is getting ready to shake us off like a mild case of dandruff. They suggest everyone should raid their retirement accounts immediately and spend it on hunting trips, as reported by The Guardian.😁
In all seriousness if you follow the PNW seismic center you are correct, there has been increased movement along the Juan De Fuca plate for the last 3 months. If it ruptures the way the Australian plate did off Indonesia a few years ago it'll be a hellvua wake up to the PNW. While I doubt it'll impact humans as a species, but it will impact many humans very negatively, (Ocean Shores and Long Beach, WA), possibly Puget Sound.

Anyone else notice the recent upward trend in volcanic activity? Early scientific consensus indicates that the earth is getting ready to shake us off like a mild case of dandruff. They suggest everyone should raid their retirement accounts immediately and spend it on hunting trips, as reported by The Guardian.😁
Have client who keeps track of such things. Tells me there is some geyser in yellowstone that is spouting off twice as much as normal, but not sure what it means.... sounds like this forum tween hunting seasons....

Will it?
life on earth 4.5 billion years, humans on earth 200,000 years. A minimum of 5 cataclysmic events that have caused mass extinction to as little as 25% and as much as 90% of species at the time of each event. 99.9% of every species that has ever existed is extinct. All of that long before the first gas engine, coal plant, or herd of farting cows came along. 125,000 years ago the polar regions were significantly warmer, sea level was 4-6 meters higher. We could stop combustion of every single fossil fuel tomorrow and the powers of the universe, a space rock, a super volcano, a few degrees of change in the axis of the earths rotation could wipe us out the next day. What evidence exists that the current or past climate is the best climate for the most diversity of species including humans?

Does any of that mean we should destroy the planet? Of course not, we should use the power of education, innovation and the free market to come up with solutions that benefit all the worlds people/creatures both economically and environmentally. We can have both.

I was taught very young that you shouldn’t bring up a problem unless you have a solution. The religion of climate change is pushing a political agenda, they have no viable solutions. By their own definitions, projections, and predictions the only logical solution would be the extermination of a large portion of the earths human population and the remaining people to forget every invention since the industrial revolution and live like cavemen.

I bet you and I have more things that we would agree upon than not on this topic. No, we should not seek to bring about harm or destruction to the earth. Yes, we should be very cognizant of the current collectivist temperament employed by many using "Climate Change" and being "Green" as a means to justify their agendas.

There obviously isn't a clear cut solution to this "problem". And I used those quotations correctly as people cannot seem to agree upon whether or not this is an issue that can be addressed or not. If by some chance the world would come together and say, "We must do X, Y, and Z to solve this issue." How do you change the hearts of man such that they'll do those things? If education is the solution we have more college graduates now more than ever. If it's innovation we need there has never been a time that the level of technology we have has been more accessible than right now. Yet for all of our education and for all of our technology we are at an impasse. This is not to imply that we should do nothing and forget the topic all together. But it should be more important how we shepherd people on into the uncertain future whilst we are awaiting revelation that will alleviate the groanings of creation.

So yes it will. Whether we save this earth or not every single person will pass. Why should we not be worried about their eternity?

Last edited:
the more you know the more you should know you don't know

Here's what I know, if you don't believe climate change is true, then go cut yourself a load of giant sequoia or redwood in Wyoming this fall to heat your house...

I agree with most of you that the Democrats are way off in the weeds when it comes to climate change.
But I also agree with the rest of you that the Republicans have their heads in the sand and denial only kicks the can to the next in line.
It doesn't seem like a democrat vs Republican issue to me it seems like its a little bigger than the US and our politics.

I hear a lot of people in there own little echo chambers people who only talk to others that they agree with, people who only really listen to news channels that spoon feed a select audience and people who only read info that they agree with
The news is giving you the info you want and leaving out the rest. Right or left.
Social media is selecting articles that cater to your opinions.
Local opinions tend to be very unbalanced and swing greatly by region.
People are f-ing sheep.
When you listen to an opposing position on a subject do you listen to try and understand somones perspective or do you listen to try and build a better counter argument?

Number 1 reason people refuse to believe in climate change is.... LIES LIES LIES. If the climate change people want to be taken as credible they just need to stop the stupid lies and stick to things that are true. Now the new face is that stupid little Greta girl that thinks she will be extinct in a decade. Come to the table with data from both sides and tell people like Greta and Gore to STFU

Number 1 reason people refuse to believe in climate change is.... LIES LIES LIES. If the climate change people want to be taken as credible they just need to stop the stupid lies and stick to things that are true. Now the new face is that stupid little Greta girl that thinks she will be extinct in a decade. Come to the table with data from both sides and tell people like Greta and Gore to STFU
How does an astrophysicist work for you? I've become a pretty big supporter of this line of reasoning. There are objective truths, that are true, whether or not you believe in them.
It's a lengthy and good discussion on truth (but that's my person truth).

How does an astrophysicist work for you? I've become a pretty big supporter of this line of reasoning. There are objective truths, that are true, whether or not you believe in them.
It's not the facts that turn people off, it's the crying wolf from idiots like Gore. Climate change has the worst spokespeople there are. Stop the stupid predictions and they may gain more credibility with those who have been around long enough to have heard all the lies.

It's not the facts that turn people off, it's the crying wolf from idiots like Gore. Climate change has the worst spokespeople there are. Stop the stupid predictions and they may gain more credibility with those who have been around long enough to have heard all the lies.
Baah, Baah, Baah!

Sorry but I think it’s pretty intellectually lazy to judge the merits of any issue based on the opinions of fringes. What’s issue doesn’t have its resident wack job spouting off nonsense.
Sorry, it's not just your "Whack jobs" In the past it has been NASA and many Scientists. And Politicians

Just Skip the Doomsday Predictions, Guys
By JIM GERAGHTY
September 23, 2019 4:18 PM

climate-march-sign.jpg
Sign at a rally against climate change in New York City in 2014. (Eduardo Munoz/Reuters)
The guys over at the Competitive Enterprise Institute have assembled a big stack of predictions of environmental doom over the past five decades: Paul Ehrlich’s predictions of a global famine by 1975, new ice ages “coming fast,” rising seas obliterating nations by the year 2000, children forgetting what snow is, an ice-free Arctic, U.K. prime minister Gordon Brown’s 2009 declaration that the planet had less than 90 days to prevent catastrophe, and so on.
In 2007, Al Gore accepted the Nobel Peace Prize and warned that the complete melting of the polar caps “could happen in as little as seven years.” While many remain worried about the rate of the ice cap melt, and it is on a gradual downward slope, it still had 1.6 million miles of frozen ice, tying all-time low measurements in 2007 and 2016. Some of the Arctic water will refreeze through fall and winter.
I have another to toss on the pile. The late climate scientist John Firor was highly regarded in his field and in 2002, he wrote The Crowded Greenhouse. He described a world that took climate change seriously after its effects became near-apocalyptic at the end of the first decade of the 21st century:
In the years 2010 and 2011, a sudden acceleration of global warming and the natural variability of the climate combined to produce a year with no winter in the United States. In the summer, 60 days exceeded 90 days throughout the country, and Washington D.C. saw thirty days with temperatures over 100 degrees – all while Congress was in session. Serious droughts occurred in the midwestern and western United States. The U.S. wheat crop was small, and the corn crop failed completely. The Mississippi River dried up. The Colorado River had dwindled to a trickle years before, despite policies designed to maintain some flow to Mexico.
Global surface temperatures for 2010 tied for the warmest year on record, but the only mass extinction seen that year was among House Democrats.
Stay Updated with NR Daily
NR's afternoon roundup of the day's best commentary & must-read analysis.

The point is not that Firor didn’t know what he’s talking about. He, like many other people trying to persuade the public about climate change, chose to portray the consequences of what he feared in as nightmarish a way as possible, and to communicate the urgency, he picked a date just eight years after his book’s publication date for environmental doomsday to arrive. Of course, reality unfolded nowhere nearly as direly as he envisioned.
Climate-change activists will insist this sort of dramatic license is necessary to stir a naturally apathetic public. But the metronomic regularity of doomsday predictions like these are part of why the public is so apathetic — they’ve heard it all before, and life went on. The people hearing the latest predictions of underwater coastal cities also may remember the panic over the Y2K bug, the predictions about the Mayan calendar predicting the end of the world, Pat Robertson predicting the world would end in 1982, and so on.

You don’t have to be one of those loons blocking traffic in Washington, D.C. today to see bigger fights over water rights in the Western states, that gradual decline in polar ice cap area, a gradual but irregular climb in hot days in summer, and other potential effects of climate change. But if the activists wonder why so many people tune them out, their perpetual claims of impending apocalypse are probably working against them. Most people tune out the nutty guy on the corner holding up the “THE END IS NEAR” sign.

This climate change bs cracks me up. Climate has ALWAYS changed and nobody will stop that. It is only a way for leftist fools to try to fund their agendas. It would be real funny, if it was not so pathetic. Man is not the major player in climate change. That has been proven by LEGITIMATE science and not some leftist-paid envirotard scientist. There is no reason to not protect the environment, but it has to be done reasonably and in a way that does not destroy economies.

That sign thing was the funniest shit that I have seen for awhile. Reality sucks. LMFAO!

He lectures on truth then goes to say that he's given up on the fundamental meaning of the word "Truth". Think about that. Also I'd be wary of an astrophysicist or perhaps a "science guy" with a Bachelor of Science speaking about climatology.

There's lies you don't want to hear, and there's lies you want to hear.

I agree.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinhba
Back