Climate Change

Intersting article about how the worlds largest asset manager (BlackRock Capital Investment Corporation) as well as at least 116 other globally significant banks and insurers have announced they will divest from companies in the coal business. Blackrock owns the majority shares of several major power companies including Northwestern which is/was planning to purchase more shares of the Coalstrip power plant to keep it running longer. Not only are they planning to divest from companies in the coal business but also want them to show in annual reports how they are to meet the Paris Agreement goal of limiting global warming to no more than 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels. When many of the major players in domestic and international finance are worried enough about climate change to make these kinds of statements, maybe we should all be worried.

For those that don't want to click the link, here are a few quotes from the article.

"As NorthWestern Energy prepares to nearly double its stake in Colstrip Power Plant, a major investor is making climate risk a big factor in where it puts its money.
BlackRock Capital Investment Corporation, the world’s largest asset manager, put CEOs of the companies in which it invests on notice last week that it expects annual reports on what’s being done to meet the Paris Agreement goal of limiting global warming to no more than 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels. Simultaneously BlackRock CEO Larry Fink told investors the company would be getting out of investments that posed a high climate risk, including stock in companies earning 25% or more of their profits from thermal coal.
BlackRock is one of NorthWestern’s largest stakeholders, with 7.3 million shares of common stock listed on the utility’s last proxy statement. Its 14.6% holding made BlackRock the largest NorthWestern stakeholder at the utility’s 2019 annual meeting."

In his letter to CEOs, Fink said climate risk had brought the world to a turning point.
"Will cities, for example, be able to afford their infrastructure needs as climate risk reshapes the market for municipal bonds?" Fink wrote to the CEOs. "What will happen to the 30-year mortgage — a key building block of finance — if lenders can’t estimate the impact of climate risk over such a long timeline, and if there is no viable market for flood or fire insurance in impacted areas? What happens to inflation, and in turn interest rates, if the cost of food climbs from drought and flooding? How can we model economic growth if emerging markets see their productivity decline due to extreme heat and other climate impacts?"

FIW, today Jan 21st I spotted a red breasted robin in the yard. Previously we had seen one during an unseasonably warm February, but not in January til now.

Not to conclude one way or another; but just a wildlife - current climate observation.

I'm telling ya, my grandparents were ahead of the game. Every time a tree died on the old homestead they replanted in sequoia. And dang if those things aren't taking off!

Hydro ??? Why do you think the Quebec Caribou herd took such a dive, and the hunting season closed ??? Hydro Quebec flooded thousands of square miles of tundra in order to create the huge reservoirs feeding the turbines. The caribou have been cut off from their migration routes. Entire river systems were diverted or cut off. I have traveled and hunted there. I have seen it.

One issue I havent seen address here is the fact as I see it, climate change is only an issue to the western world . To explain better I mean if it comes to burning fossil fuels and feeding your children or keeping them warm you dont give a rip about climate change most under developed countries people have much more to worry about just living day to day when an average yearly income of 1000 $ you dont have time to worry or care much about this issue
We are very spoiled and can afford to hash this out when we have electricity and can go to the fridge for milk,soda or a beer and get what every we want from out pantry most of the world doesnt have that luxury and their day to day issues are far greater than ours

One issue I havent seen address here is the fact as I see it, climate change is only an issue to the western world . To explain better I mean if it comes to burning fossil fuels and feeding your children or keeping them warm you dont give a rip about climate change most under developed countries people have much more to worry about just living day to day when an average yearly income of 1000 $ you dont have time to worry or care much about this issue
We are very spoiled and can afford to hash this out when we have electricity and can go to the fridge for milk,soda or a beer and get what every we want from out pantry most of the world doesnt have that luxury and their day to day issues are far greater than ours

That’s a pretty bold statement, and in true. The only three countries that are not part of the Paris climate accord are Syria and now the US.

The developing world is held to a lower standard but still has plans to reduce carbon emissions, just not as quickly as the developed world.

That’s a pretty bold statement, and in true. The only three countries that are not part of the Paris climate accord are Syria and now the US.

The developing world is held to a lower standard but still has plans to reduce carbon emissions, just not as quickly as the developed world.
maybe im wrong but didnt think China or India had as part of their statements had any plans to do much of anything but I was talking about the general populations not political class

maybe im wrong but didnt think China or India had as part of their statements had any plans to do much of anything but I was talking about the general populations not political class
Dog and pony show.

Scrambling to make my lunch,to get down the road, to spend the day working on a house, which is a second home, for someone who doesnt really give a shit(just likes the view), meanwhile muttering at the beeping refrigerator to "shut the f-up, your driving me crazy"...even though I left the door open.
They above is tribute to the hard working (under appreciated generally by society)English teacher in the household......incorporating irony, symbolism, metaphors but disregarding proper sentence structure.
You be the judge of the point.😁

In the case of China the central government has shown that it understands the climate issue, and inherent problems with it's current energy mix. Specifically, coal fire plants, and the air quality problems the country is experiencing.
Per the central gov, China is going to focus on cleaner means of producing energy although they won't be retiring any plants and rather will focus on developing different energy sources.

The current plan is to add mostly solar, wind, and gas with some increases in nuclear and hydro. The thing to keep in mind with China is that due to their centralized gov they can basically just make whatever they decide on happen.

So Net net, China won't be reducing it's carbon footprint at all, but it is looking at ways at reducing the slope of it's increase.
1579708169150.png

Another interesting presentation...

Scrambling to make my lunch,to get down the road, to spend the day working on a house, which is a second home, for someone who doesnt really give a shit(just likes the view), meanwhile muttering at the beeping refrigerator to "shut the f-up, your driving me crazy"...even though I left the door open.
They above is tribute to the hard working (under appreciated generally by society)English teacher in the household......incorporating irony, symbolism, metaphors but disregarding proper sentence structure.
You be the judge of the point.😁

...so ee cummings and cormac mccarthy walk into a bar ; )

In the case of China the central government has shown that it understands the climate issue, and inherent problems with it's current energy mix. Specifically, coal fire plants, and the air quality problems the country is experiencing.
Per the central gov, China is going to focus on cleaner means of producing energy although they won't be retiring any plants and rather will focus on developing different energy sources.

The current plan is to add mostly solar, wind, and gas with some increases in nuclear and hydro. The thing to keep in mind with China is that due to their centralized gov they can basically just make whatever they decide on happen.

So Net net, China won't be reducing it's carbon footprint at all, but it is looking at ways at reducing the slope of it's increase.
View attachment 126161

Another interesting presentation...
Sounds like a 2 pack a day smoker saying they ain't gonna quit, but they ain't gonna move up to 3 packs a day either.

Grape juice ferments when you leave the fridge door open? :)
Ha...actually left the pullout freezer drawer open a crack one day and got home just after my wife did. Steam exiting her ears.😂
Global warming thawed that puppy out entirely.
But this morning's comments actually ARE a reflection of our society in a deeper context. FYI
Some might get it, most probably not.
Not gonna elaborate.🤮

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back