Climate Change

My opinion is in 50 years they will be looking at today's solar panels and laugh their butts off. I also think the sun has tremendous potential to provide safe, efficient, and affordable energy when we figure it out. Till then, I am a fan of these low tech solar collectors that can collect, and store solar energy, remove CO2 from the atmosphere, and produce more of themselves on their own.

20191210_141301.jpg

Last edited:
I'm more worried about a company, just leaving a crappy marginally producing field to rot for decades because they don't want to have to spend money on it...
Are you referring to renewable or oil? :) Kevin Rim in my field office is an "interesting" place.

I'm more worried about a company, just leaving a crappy marginally producing field to rot for decades because they don't want to have to spend money on it...

Drinking water... well the city of flint would disagree

Dams: https://www.glencanyon.org/all-dams-are-temporary-sedimentation/

Our grid sucks because we don't scrap substations and fix them in a timely manner... among other things: https://www.npr.org/2016/08/22/4909...e-nations-electrical-grid-is-the-weakest-link

I'm just saying maintenance is something we are terrible at across the board, and it's more expensive to diagnose and fix a problem than to just build something new from scratch. We typically go with the easy cheap option.

There will be negative impacts about however we produce power, I just would prefer if we tried to understand them and picked the lesser of the evils. That might be wind and solar, I don't honestly know.
I guess my experience is different. All our power is publicly owned and maintained and we have the cheapest energy in the country. Our grid works great, and all our PUDs are constantly seeking improvement. They don't abandon sites.

I guess my experience is different. All our power is publicly owned and maintained and we have the cheapest energy in the country. Our grid works great, and all our PUDs are constantly seeking improvement. They don't abandon sites.
All thanks to hydro which has been a complaint of yours in past posts. A carbon free electric source that still has certain negative impacts. What is the projected life span of the Grande Coulee dam ?

Bighornram

I dont know the life span of the Grande Coulee Dam, but this thread has prompted me to ask for a couple of friends to sail me to Madeina so we can drink some of their wine before the glazers melt, the oceans rise, and the island disappears.

At one time I thought buying a sailboat and learning to sail was just scratching one more thing off my bucket list. It might have been the best investment I ever made (-:

Can one live on just fish and wine ?

Washington like Norway is very lucky abundant natural resources, good economy, low population... I’m worried about Mississippi...

All thanks to hydro which has been a complaint of yours in past posts. A carbon free electric source that still has certain negative impacts. What is the projected life span of the Grande Coulee dam ?
I very much have a love/hate relationship with our current hydropower, though I wouldn't have any complaints if we'd located them above the anadromous fish zone. Lifespan of Grand Coulee is probably another couple hundred years. Once the captured sediment starts to impede the operation (like it does for the lower Snake River dams) it's pretty well game over, at least until we start designing them with bottom up spill ways to allow for the passage of sediment.

@neffa3
1579294450406.png
So 757.2 Trillion BTU of hydro versus 1146.1 of imported petroleum, as the state doesn't produce it's own.
I hate these kinda graphics because they are misleading. Perhaps we should break out the hydro into separate bars for each model of generator...

lol Biomass... renewable, as in trees grow quick... but not carbon free, but often renewable is used as synonyms green or carbon neutral.

I feel like energy is this topic where everyone just pisses down each others necks and we all act like it's rain. Excuse we while I go clean some coal.

@neffa3
View attachment 125773
So 757.2 Trillion BTU of hydro versus 1146.1 of imported petroleum, as the state doesn't produce it's own.
I hate these kinda graphics because they are misleading. Perhaps we should break out the hydro into separate bars for each model of generator...

lol Biomass... renewable, as in trees grow quick... but not carbon free, but often renewable is used as synonyms green or carbon neutral.

I feel like energy is this topic where everyone just pisses down each others necks and we all act like it's rain. Excuse we while I go clean some coal.
Oh, I didn't realize we were going to include motor gasoline in this energy discussion, I thought were were talking about home use.

Bighornram

I dont know the life span of the Grande Coulee Dam, but this thread has prompted me to ask for a couple of friends to sail me to Madeina so we can drink some of their wine before the glazers melt, the oceans rise, and the island disappears.

At one time I thought buying a sailboat and learning to sail was just scratching one more thing off my bucket list. It might have been the best investment I ever made (-:

Can one live on just fish and wine ?
Sounds like a good plan Europe. Just so know, they are making some really good wines in @neffa3 home state too.

sliders_ancient_lakes1500x800-2-1.jpg

Put that on your list as well.

Oh, I didn't realize we were going to include motor gasoline in this energy discussion, I thought were were talking about home use.
We can talk about whatever we want :)

I heard this great NPR story on the popularity of EV cars aka Tesla’s in the midwest amongst some as a way to save coal.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan Europe. Just so know, they are making some really good wines in @neffa3 home state too.

View attachment 125787

Put that on your list as well.
They do, but you either need to go about 60 minutes north of that photo to Chelan, or drop 4 hrs down the river to the Columbia Gorge. Side note, several hundred if not thousand elk winter on the bar at the right of the photo. I drew a cow tag down there, boated in, and picked up my groceries a few years ago.

They do, but you either need to go about 60 minutes north of that photo to Chelan, or drop 4 hrs down the river to the Columbia Gorge. Side note, several hundred if not thousand elk winter on the bar at the right of the photo. I drew a cow tag down there, boated in, and picked up my groceries a few years ago.
Also can visit the wineries in Yakima Valley and Walla Walla. Or order online. :)
Our first dog (lab) was named Chelan. We got her in Monse Washington. She was a sweetheart! Never been to Lake Chelan yet, but it's on the list.

Last edited:
Bloomberg has an aggressive 10 year plan with few details.

Do you guys in MT pay extra home owners tax if you live outside of a city? WA started to tax those of us living in the country as create a higher demand for wildfire prevention/fighting resources.

Do you guys in MT pay extra home owners tax if you live outside of a city? WA started to tax those of us living in the country as create a higher demand for wildfire prevention/fighting resources.
Right now the biggest cost to living in the WUI is home owners insurance, if you can get it.

Things that make me go hummm
The ipcc 2003 report stated that their has been a slowdown in warming for the last 15 yrs but if co2 has been steadily rising why would the warming trend slow down if it is co2 driven ?
I am a carpenter not climate scientist but like reading both sides of all issues and their are some great web sites with pro and con sides of this issue
And I was doing some reading on the medieval warming period and how it was quite a bit warmer and life flourished during that time

Back