Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Clear the freezer challenge (need recipes)

TexanSam

Hey guys, I need some inspiration. I recently took an inventory of what I have left in the freezer, and am hoping to get most of it gone by the time hunting season is in full swing. I usually don't have a problem eating 2-3 wild game dinners a week, but with hunting season around the corner, I want to bring it up a notch and try new recipes. Therefore if anyone has any suggestions please post them below.

What I have to work with is this:
1- Whitetail ham
3 lbs antelope burger
2 lbs wild hog backstrap
1 lb whitetail backstrap
1 lb antelope backstrap
4 lbs wild hog andoullie
1 deer shank
1 antelope shank
1 antelope ham

I've been a huge fan of making tacos out of a roast in the crock pot, and I have a meat grinder, but like I said, I'm looking to try new stuff so please give me some inspiration.
Thanks!

I’m a fan of braising shanks. Some herbs, some stock, an acid (cider vinegar is a good one), a little oil, then low and slow til it’s falling off the bone. Eat it just like that, make sandwiches, make a casserole. Lots of options.

Use burger in anything you’d use burger for. I like antelope burger in lasagna myself.

I assume your back straps are in single cuts and not steaked? If so, Hank Shaw’s Steak Diane recipe is wonderful. That cookbook is well worth the money.

Crockpot

Cut back straps into fry steaks.

Fry em up about 3/4 done. Put them in crockpot.
Add cream of mushroom, cream of celery, and pepperronci peppers.

Cook on low for 4-6 hours.

Serve over rice

Reverse sear the Hog backstrap and while the smoker is going
Smoke that Andoiullie Sausage. :cool:

If you have a pressure cooker, I would highly recommend this recipe for your tougher cuts or boar. It's stupid simple and delicious.

For the shanks, making a good pho stock is pretty easy. I freeze it for emergency weeknight meals.

Andouille is great for red beans and rice or black bean soup.

If you are willing to do a little bit of shopping, this recipe works well at tenderizing tougher bits of meat. If you don't want to go to the trouble of deep frying, I often just stir fry and deglaze with a little stock after incorporating the ginger, garlic, and spices. I tend to treat the fresh chiles as optional so my less spice-tolerant wife will enjoy it.

You've gotta do a pot or two of gumbo, especially with some of that andoulli thrown in there.

Take that antelope blackstrap and sear it in a cast iron skillet with some butter and fresh savory and garlic. Cook it to medium rare cut it up thin and enjoy

Anything Hank Shaw makes! I'd make a pastrami out of that whitetail ham, and do a corned antelope ham, my family loves both of those.

Throw anything in the crockpot for several hours. Then drench it in bbq sauce and throw it on a toasted bun with cheddar cheese, dill pickle, and sliced onion. Nothing fancy.

Back straps, square them up and pound them to about a 1/8". I have three different plates out. one flower (with a season all mix), one with mixed eggs, and one crushed chips (most any will do). Take the steaks through them in that order and fry them up. this also makes great steak fingers.

Broccoli beef
Fajitas
Chili verde

Back-straps inside a jalapeno, with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon BBQ

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back