Classic hunting rifles - American vs European

glennw89

Recently I've thought I might want to start a small collection of vintage classic hunting rifles. They wouldn't be "safe queens" as I would intend to shoot/hunt with them on occasion.

I have (and am very familiar with) several modern hunting rifles, but I'm a history buff of sorts and can appreciate a vintage rifle - although I'm far from an expert being far too young to have experienced the original "heyday" of these rifles.

I have Kimber Montanas in 243 and 280 so I have my modern hunting rifles pretty well covered.

I'd like to tap into the "hive of experience" here regarding European vs American rifles that might fall into the category of classic hunting rifles. Would you focus on European rifles or American rifles of the period?

Looking at classic hunting rifles (let's say from the 1950's onward) - Husqvarna 1600, early Sakos, FN Mauser, Schultz and Larsen, etc. vs Winchester/Remington/Weatherby/etc.

What would your leaning be around general material quality, fit and finish, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

The American classics would certainly be cheaper to collect. You would probably have to be a multimillionaire to put together much of a European collection.

I have had, 3 pre-64 model 70 Winchsters, still have one, 3 older Sako's, still have one. 3 Safari grade Bolt action Brownings, still have one,

3 FN Mausers, still have one, 2 model 54 Winchesters, still have one. Had two Savage 99's, have none now. Had a bunch of model 94's, still have two. Also have several 1909 mauser custom rifles.

I have a very sweet spot for Winchester model 54. Hard to find them in original condition.

Keep your eye out for Sears and Montgomery Wards rifles from the 50's, FN made many of them and there are cheaper and still sweet.

Watch out for salt era Brownings from Belgium. For a few years they quick dried the walnut with salt. Lots of corrosion.

Also model 70 Winchesters made in the early 1960's just before they stopped making them seem not to be if the stellar workmanships as earlier years.

I think you just fell into the hole I live in. Personally, I find American hunting rifles and English/European shotguns to be my passions. Since you mention you have an attraction to history, what part of history interests you the most? Flintlock eras, cap locks, or cartridge guns? Big game or small? Just how far down this rabbit hole are you willing to go? There are implications, not just for the rifles you choose, but the calibers and ammunitions you use with them.

For me, it's the late 19th century and the transition between muzzleloaders and cartridge guns. I use mostly (but not exclusively) black powder. My bullets are all lead alloys, usually paper patched.

Sharps 1874, Remington #1, Winchester 1885 (the absolute pinnacle of rifles design), Springfield 1884, Ballard in several models (I like the #5 Pacific), are all the best of the best singleshots. After that come the early lever guns.
As you head down the rabbit hole you will want to learn about how to rehabilitate or restore such rifles and who can do the work, if you aren't going to do it yourself. All of this can be a lot of fun and a great learning experience before you even get the gun into the field. It makes hunting a much more interesting, year-round activity, even if the actual hunting season is only a week or two long.

All you need to do, is find the time in history that interests you the most and dive in.
vKXvB1e.jpg

751ojrP.jpg

wck7Rq5.jpg

I think you just fell into the hole I live in. Personally, I find American hunting rifles and English/European shotguns to be my passions. Since you mention you have an attraction to history, what part of history interests you the most? Flintlock eras, cap locks, or cartridge guns? Big game or small? Just how far down this rabbit hole are you willing to go? There are implications, not just for the rifles you choose, but the calibers and ammunitions you use with them.

For me, it's the late 19th century and the transition between muzzleloaders and cartridge guns. I use mostly (but not exclusively) black powder. My bullets are all lead alloys, usually paper patched.

Sharps 1874, Remington #1, Winchester 1885 (the absolute pinnacle of rifles design), Springfield 1884, Ballard in several models (I like the #5 Pacific), are all the best of the best singleshots. After that come the early lever guns.
As you head down the rabbit hole you will want to learn about how to rehabilitate or restore such rifles and who can do the work, if you aren't going to do it yourself. All of this can be a lot of fun and a great learning experience before you even get the gun into the field. It makes hunting a much more interesting, year-round activity, even if the actual hunting season is only a week or two long.

All you need to do, is find the time in history that interests you the most and dive in.

For me I think the mid 20th century would be the most intriguing - post WWII into the 1970's/1980's - so quite a bit more modern compared to your true "classics"!

For me I think the mid 20th century would be the most intriguing - post WWII into the 1970's/1980's - so quite a bit more modern compared to your true "classics"!

To each his own. I once owned a classic '03 Sporter. Those can be kinda cool - for a bolt gun.

Classic rifles and shotguns can set you back thousands$$. It is best to start as soon as you can and keep adding as you get interested in them.

One thing to consider, there are many more classics than you are limiting yourself to by thinking 1950 and later...

C5628005-80EA-4360-B0CB-6C4F5F574EC2.jpeg955636B8-84E9-47CD-8372-FC7342C07AE8.jpeg159FCB4D-AF84-474D-B8EA-8C380BA2AFFB.jpegCE7A3262-FD17-49A4-9C47-0A37BE02FBA7.jpeg20574177-E841-43A8-8278-E8B6F3B10721.jpeg6BD00C6B-9F0B-4FEF-A12B-5B7AD55422BA.jpeg

I'm kind of into the collecting old rifles thing myself, but more so with old milsurp rifles. Something about the marriage of wood and iron and the fact that they were carried by men who were asked to do impossible tasks intrigues me. These rifles all have a story to tell, I'm sure.

I believe that there really is no right or wrong with collecting. Some people on here call it "the cool factor", and if it makes you tick then go for it. The most important thing I tell myself is that these old guns will never be made again and someday they may be all gone and forgotten. Get them while you can and hopefully someday pass them on to others who will find them as cherishing as you do.

I still have a hankering for a single shot wood/blue rifle. Knowing me though, it'd be a mix of modern cartridge in a "classic" design. A Win 1885 in something like a 6.5 Creedmoor... :D

I still have a hankering for a single shot wood/blue rifle. Knowing me though, it'd be a mix of modern cartridge in a "classic" design. A Win 1885 in something like a 6.5 Creedmoor... :D
That pains me a little, but if it turns your crank, just make sure you pick the right action for it. some of the modern 1885s are only 1885s skin deep and they will hold that sort of pressure. But originals, or those made identical to originals will be somewhat stressed to do so. Look for the modern made Winchester/Browning versions. They lack the simplicity (and triggers) of the originals, but they will get you where you want to go.

Classic rifles and shotguns can set you back thousands$$. It is best to start as soon as you can and keep adding as you get interested in them.

One thing to consider, there are many more classics than you are limiting yourself to by thinking 1950 and later...
Excellent guidance and advise !

If you want to stay with American made rifles and are willing to drop below your 1950 threshold, you might consider the combination of rifle manufacturers and caliber

i.e. 1940/41 Win Model 70 in the 270---1920's Savage 99 250-3000---Weatherby Mk V 300 Weatherby.

Best of luck in finding the rifle (s ) that work for you, both as hunting rifles and classics

I have only 1 classic in my collection and it is a family heirloom. It has been in my family since the day it was purchased in 1929. Its a Winchester model 94 30-30. There is just something special about a gun from that time that still works and has the history that this rifle does. Good luck on your collection. 16167738491214365973281659088244.jpg

vKXvB1e.jpg

751ojrP.jpg

wck7Rq5.jpg
BrentD, you’re absolutely right by what you like!

Recently I've thought I might want to start a small collection of vintage classic hunting rifles. They wouldn't be "safe queens" as I would intend to shoot/hunt with them on occasion.

I have (and am very familiar with) several modern hunting rifles, but I'm a history buff of sorts and can appreciate a vintage rifle - although I'm far from an expert being far too young to have experienced the original "heyday" of these rifles.

I have Kimber Montanas in 243 and 280 so I have my modern hunting rifles pretty well covered.

I'd like to tap into the "hive of experience" here regarding European vs American rifles that might fall into the category of classic hunting rifles. Would you focus on European rifles or American rifles of the period?

Looking at classic hunting rifles (let's say from the 1950's onward) - Husqvarna 1600, early Sakos, FN Mauser, Schultz and Larsen, etc. vs Winchester/Remington/Weatherby/etc.

What would your leaning be around general material quality, fit and finish, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
Hi I would definitely look at Styer’s...I like the rotary magazine.. keep a couple in your jacket.. and the cold hammer forged barrel.👍

These are not really classics, but definitely European. My collection of poor man’s stalking rifles: Spanish Mauser Modelo 1893 in 7x57, Steyr Mannlicher 95/30 in 8x56R, and Carcano 1891 TS in 6.5x52. All former military rifles, all well over 100 years old, and with a combined purchase price of $430.
F3062EDF-D50D-49A3-95D7-D7CE57FBE786.jpeg

I'd say I've no real desire to own what might be called a classic rifle with just a couple exception's. I don't like stainless steel or plastic and won't own a gun with either on it. Wood and blue steel seems classic to me. Then again when I was a kid some guy brought a Styer Mannlicker with a full stock by the house, in 6.5x52 and I'd love to have one of those. Only problem with one these days is my eyes don't work so well anymore. Saw that rifle in the very early 1950's, what a beauty!

Last edited:
Not sure what people consider a classic. If I had a choice between a 1940 mod 94 and a 2000 mod 94, I suspect I'd take the 2000! Seem's to me it should be in better physical condition. But I can't do stainless steel and plastic stock's. Wood stock and blued barrel is to me pretty classic. But there is one old rifle I'd sell my soul for. Don't remember the guy that owned it. I was about 10 give or take and he brought it by the house for my dad to see. Styr Mannlicker, the old split bridge type! 6.5x52 as I recall, open sight's. Open sights would do me in today though, old eyes! That rifle was a work of art! I can still remember working the action, never in my life have I felt an action that smooth, not even close!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back