Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

City boy turned mountain man

GBrokx

I grew up in the good 'ol town of Pasadena just outside Los Angeles, California. While I did a little fishing and camping growing up, I mostly lived the city life. I moved to Colorado in 2001 but it was not until I started learning about our food system (and how conventional agriculture is for our health) during nutrition school in my late 20's that I had to make the decision: go vegetarian or source my own food/meat (easy choice). That year I grew my first garden and called a friend I knew that elk hunted every year. It has now been 9 years since I went on my first hunt, and I have become obsessed to say the least. I now hunt elk, deer, bear, rabbits, squirrels, grouse and have been building points for moose/sheep/goats. I have taken it upon myself to learn as much as I can through youtube, huntalk, and as much time in the field as possible. In 9 years I have been fortunate enough to harvest 4 elk (2 bulls, 2 cows), 6 deer (all does), and several squirrels and rabbits. Still lots to learn so want to thank everyone here that is willing to give tips to all who are willing to learn. While no one wants to give away their honey holes, I believe supporting the hunting community is key to the future of hunting and conservation!

Last edited:
Welcome from SWMT. I grew up 20 miles east of Oakland.. thank God my old man moved me here as a young teen. I’ve been in MT 16 years (though I’ve probably only hunted 5 years) and have only killed two elk, both cows. It sounds like you are doing very well. Keep up the good work. Enjoy those hard earned steaks with every nibble, my friend.

Welcome from SWMT. I grew up 20 miles east of Oakland.. thank God my old man moved me here as a young teen. I’ve been in MT 16 years (though I’ve probably only hunted 5 years) and have only killed two elk, both cows. It sounds like you are doing very well. Keep up the good work. Enjoy those hard earned steaks with every nibble, my friend.
Glad I am out of Cali as well. I am much more at peace living in the mountains with all the hunting and fishing Colorado has to offer. I credit my success to my persistence and luck - I have very little skill but I refuse to give up and the taste of those back straps keeps me coming back for more ;)

Welcome to the site. I agree on the immense sense of satisfaction received when harvesting your own food, whether out of the garden or while hunting; or shooting deer that eat your garden; double harvest.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back