Yeti GOBOX Collection

Chukar Everywhere

Flytier

Steamer and I headed up to Rattle Snake Canyon this morning, and no snakes. Too cool for them to be out and no sun in the canyon yet. We finally got onto some chukar way up top in the rocks. So up we go, to the top. Not a real badhike, but enough for this fat boy. Fortunatly Steamer had to take a break from time to time too, so I didnt feel so bad. We put the stalk on a group, but they kept moving on us. They finally came back around and flew past us. Steamer got off a few shots, but that new Benelli has a differant safety than my Mossburg does and that threw me off enough to miss a really good shot. I bet that is the last time I foreget where the safety is I'll tell ya. So we folow them towards te rim a little bi and they take off again. We're blasting like crazy and Steamer drops one, was down into the canyon. He was like a mountian goat down there trying to find that thing. So I stayed on top of where we were and got into another group, and took a few longer shots at them. Steamer finally shows back up and we start to put the stalk back on the ones I found. But they must have snuck off on me. We head em but they went way up the other side of the draw we were in, and I wanted to go easy on Steamer, since he just had a heck of a hike. Okay, it was me that didnt want to hike way up there.

But we had a great time and a pretty good hike. Definatly going back in a few weeks.

I say we go back now. That was fun. Did you notice that no snake dared showed its ugly head. They knew I brought bad ju-ju for them. :D

Steamer/Flytier,

I'm also from Mt home and seem to have found the same birds. I was out yesterday about 2 miles down imigrant road. I climbed up to the top of the canyon facing Long Tom Creek. Birds all over the back side, but they're there for a reason; it was steep and long. We were able to get 3 of them, but thats because of my shooting. I should've had 6-7 easily. What a workout, but I'll go back until I can find a better place. I'm still looking for some good quail country. Birds or not, me and the dog enjoy being outdoors.

If you hunted above Long Tom Creek you are a better man than me. I don't goats or sheep live on hills that steep. :D :D :D

Where you be in town. We need to hook up and exchange stories. We'll get Ovis too :cool: :cool:

Welcome to Hunttalk

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 10-14-2002 09:19: Message edited by: Steamer ]</font>

Steamer,

I'm at the base. As for the chukar, they were in pretty steep stuff but there was a bunch of them. Besides those are the first ones I found. Actually, I also found great sign down on the Bruneau river, no birds, but a lot of tracks.

Getting together sounds great, I need to do some work with my dog and I need a good trigger man. You up for it?

HELL.. COUNt me in this GAME.... I'm up for Stomping some HILLS/CLIFFS !!!! Carni, call me sometime 571-1ELK is the Cell. I'm over in Boise. We can Swap lies or something ?!?!!? I've met Steamer and LIEflier.. Uhhh Flytier I mean ;) Watch out.. they're both trouble ;) (JUST KIDDDING, they're good for Mnt home folk.. HEHEHE)

I think a DINNER and BEER is in order ?!?! I hunt DUCKS that way down by Bruno, so I'm there quiet a bit in DEC/JAN.. ALTHOUGH this year a KID is suposed to come out the wifes "TUMMY" in DEC.. I wonder if that will hamper hunting ?!?! :eek: :eek:

Moosie,

Sounds good. I'll give you a call next time I'm in town. That's if you're not out hunting as I'll probably will be. The season is to short to pass up a good weekend.

When you say stomping hills, well, thats exactly what it is. Steamer had it right when he said that only goats/sheep habitat the area. Well, now I do to. I might as well give them (Chukar) HELL while I still can. I usually go solo, mainly because no one wants to put in the leg work. But I'm always up for a shooting partner.

Like I said in an above post, I would like to do some more work with my dog and to do it I need a trigger man.

Congrats on your soon to be hunting partner. I have 4 little hunters myself. My eldest already wants to hit the hills. She shot a few whistle pigs this year so now it's time to move up.

Adios

Carnivore, you up for a little chukar this weekend? Steamer gets off around 2:00 then we can show you a secret little place that will blow your mind. As long as you can walk up your living room wall and know CPR, you'll love this place. And it's a lot closer than Immigrant Road. If Ovis is free, we'll get him to come along too. If your interested let me know or give me a call, 580-2481.

Anyone else available this weekend? I've been cooped up flying or driving for a week and I need to get out and make up for lost time. Gregg

Flytier,

Any bird hunting sounds great, but I'm heading up to fill my deer tag friday. If all goes well, I'll be home Sat afternoon. Does Sunday sound good?

Flying, are you here at the base?

Mike

Good luck on your deer hunt. Sunday works for me too. I'm a local fella, been around here for ever. Give me a hollar when you get back and we'll make plans to hook up. Gregg

Sunday it is. I'll give you a call Friday/Saturday to finalize. But first I need to put ole thunderstick to work and knock down a buck. I've seen a lot of fork horns but nothing to brag about.

All this deer hunting stuff is cutting into my bird time.

Mike

I'll be out with the thunderstick too.... BUT If I wasn't I'd be in BRUNO over decoys .. GOING QUACK.. QUACK !!!!! DUCK season my friends !~~~

BUT, I do want to go out wqith y'all chaseing Chuckars.. they've illuded me several years now.... ONLY ones I've gotten are here

http://www.elkaholic.com/pics/chuckar.jpg

I didn't post the picture becasue It's wider then 640 and it will bump the screen.....

The more the merrier if you ask me, sound ok Gregg.
I'm not stingy.

Moosie,
As fur yur ducks, I hear it's a little slow but they're still putting them down. I have a few guys that work for me who hit it pretty hard this past weekend. I think they finished with 20 quackers when it was all said and done. I do know of a pond out in the hills adjacent to a couple of fields. If I can get permission, I'll give you a call and we'll hit it. Should be a great place. More to follow on this one.

As for those pesky chuckar's, I've only had 3 die of lead poisoning in my pressence But thats because of a poor shooting day. I had plenty of shots. Their day is coming!:eek:

Good luck with bambi.

Carnivore:

Flytier has a family emergency. He will not be able to make it on Sunday. Unfortunately I have a prior commitment and won't me able to make it either.

Steam/Fly,

No problem with the 'no-go'.

Flytier: Sorry to hear about the emergency, I hope all is well.

It worked out in the end. Saturday we got stranded on the backside of Trinity for awhile. It was a very long day and we did'nt get off the mountain until late in the evening. I was to tired to drive home so I stayed the night. So I would have been a no show anyways. Again, I hope is was nothing serious.

Mike

Hey, I am in Mt. Home too! What's up fella's?! I have never bird hunted successfully (tried dove once and after a box, there wasn't even a feather on the ground), but would love to get together sometime to learn. There is a 16 year old boy that lost his father a couple of years ago that I took deer hunting (he got a nice doe) that is going to take me duck hunting sometime. Anyway, that's 4 of us that I know of in Mt. Home and Moosie in Boise, we should all do somethin'.

P.S. I am Air Force too

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back