Chrony bit the dust - time for a Labradar?

44hunter45

My old Chrony Beta died. My load development day yesterday turned out to be a tactical pistol session. There are no USFS cow pies safe from me.

I'm looking hard at the Labradar. It seems like its the way to go.

Anyone using one and can review it?

I love my labradar - gave away my optical and my magnetospeed (I hated that damn thing). If you just confirm velocities of factory ammo then just get a $99 optical. But if you develop hand load rifle ammo with any frequency (especially if you use the velocity node approach) it will pay for itself in time, ammo, and patience. If you shoot with suppressors you will need the inertial trigger that you can buy online.

I use an Oehler 35P specifically because Lab Radar resulted in a lot of used Oehlers hitting the secondary market at low prices. People aren’t selling their Oehlers unless Lab Radar works well. If you have the dough and develop handloads, then buy a Lab Radar.

Where’s the best place to buy a Labradar?
I got mine two years ago at a local reloading shop. Always try local today, or there will be no locals tomorrow. But my understanding currently is that both local and online are looking at 12+weeks of backorder in most cases.

I absolutely recommend a LabRadar. Bought mine about a year and a half ago and gave away my chronograph as sort of a "good riddance" gesture. Yes they are expensive, but I do reload enough that it was somewhat justifiable and it has absolutely helped with load development and even made it alot more fun when I'm not getting constant errors or failure to reads.
Very seldom does the LabRadar give me a strange reading or fail to pick up a projectile. The only time I've really had any issues with it was when I did load development for a suppressed 300 B.O. It did have issues picking up the trigger source (muzzle report setting) so I used the setting that keeps the doppler on constantly but that means it (the doppler) needs to be perfectly aligned with the trajectory or the bullet to still register. When using regular rifle or pistol rounds though, it's been almost perfect.
If you do get it, I would for sure recommend getting the external USB battery pack. The LabRadar drains AA batteries like nobody's business and it really sucks when you lose power on an extended range session. I had it happen enough that I ordered a battery pack and that lasts 6-8 hours on constant power. Plus it's USB rechargeable and can be used to recharge cell phones and other devices in a pinch.

One more note - the aiming notch is borderline worthless - the “straw trick” solves it for pennies in a few minutes.

I bought mine last year and have used it roughly a dozen times. Really like it and it so easy to set up and use. I highly recommend it. I also recommend getting the rechargeable battery pack. I also have the wired magnetic trigger to attach to a rifle barrel if conditions are sketchy. There's a bit of a learning curve to it but with anything else, it'll all come with use! Oh, I love their little tripod for it as well. Very low profile in comparison to the usual camera pods.

I looked at the Lad Radar.
Seems like a neat piece of kit.
But i already have a Beta Master.
And at $500+ i think my money would be better spent on an RSI Pressure Trace.
I shoot a fair bit of "obsolete" cartridges with powder/ bullet combinations that there is no data for.
Plus would help me with my wildcatting.

Love my Labradar, sometimes loses bluetooth connectivity with my phone, but that may be my phone. I mounted a piece of angle iron on the front of my shooting bench and use a window mount on the Labradar, very solid.

After fooling with a Pro Chrono for years, I finally saved up and got the LabRadar. Should have done it sooner. So much easier to set up, much more reliable, and not sunlight dependent. Definitely get keep a drinking straw in the bag for aiming the device and buy an external battery pack.

I love my LabRadar.

Get the fastest/largest data card for it that fits their parameters. Slow ones cause errors.
Get the remote trigger that uses a magnet to attach to your rifle. No more missed shots, no more issues with placement of the unit.
Get one of the 3D printed aiming units (aka fancy straws) that attaches to the top to help you aim it. I used a straw, but this stays on and never moves.
Get a USB battery unit for power.

Many days I wish I had 2 of them so that I could use mine and just let others use the second one. Friends and range buddies want to use it all the time.

I pulled the trigger on one from Labradar direct this morning. Its my birthday and I'll buy if I want to.
Decided that waiting for the backorder vs inflated "Buy it now" prices was the best way to go. $744 with all the toys and shipping.

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread but I've had my eye on these for a couple years now. Is there an issue with it picking up readings from someone shooting next to you?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back