Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Chrony bit the dust - time for a Labradar?

Sometime it would be fun to stack a LabRadar and a Caldwell and check the accuracy of the latter. That’s part of the reason I don’t expend much mental energy on my velocity spread, is i don’t know how accurate my data points are.

I am pretty happy with my magneto speed. I can’t justify the Labradar.
My magnetospeed is accurate and repeatable. It’s Easy to use and don’t have to set up down range either. Also, the cost is a whole lot better than a labradar.
I believe the only information that the labradar can provide that I have to make assumptions for is down range velocities so you can create more accurate ballistic charts. Or, I just head out to the range and record bullet drops by shooting the distances I’m interested in, but not everyone has access to ranges with longer distances.

Sometime it would be fun to stack a LabRadar and a Caldwell and check the accuracy of the latter. That’s part of the reason I don’t expend much mental energy on my velocity spread, is i don’t know how accurate my data points are.
Applied Ballistics published a paper compating the accuracy of various chronographs. It’s very well written by Brian Litz and I’d recommend reading it if you’re interested. Brian’s a good guy, used to work as an actual rocket scientist at NASA, and I think is now Berger bullets head of ballistics.

Someone has to check the loads you and @Hammsolo are gonna make.

I’ve done that before at the range. They were the same considering they weren’t the same distance from the barrel. The LR also picked up neighboring rifle shots, but the Caldwell didn’t. The LR seemed to be an overpriced piece of equipment.

I’ve done that before at the range. They were the same considering they weren’t the same distance from the barrel. The LR also picked up neighboring rifle shots, but the Caldwell didn’t. The LR seemed to be an overpriced piece of equipment.
Interesting. I do wonder if I’m putting mine too close and my data suffers as a result. Or, maybe my loads are shitty?🤷‍♂️

Interesting. I do wonder if I’m putting mine too close and my data suffers as a result. Or, maybe my loads are shitty?🤷‍♂️
I don't know about the Caldwell. THe Chrony doesn't like unburned powder when you get it too close.

I just borrow a buddy’s labradar when I started reloading. I used it a lot for a couple weeks and haven’t needed one since. It was easy to use and if I ever need a chrono that’s the one I’ll buy.

Since my reply a buddy borrowed my Magnetto Speed. Apparently having it on the end of his barrel changed his point of impact by 6” on his Proof barreled build. He had a Labradar on order already. He said readings were otherwise pretty identical.

Back