Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Christmas Wish Trip

I would have to say a hunt for either a cape buffalo or tuskless elephant in the Zambezi Valley. Or a hunting/fishing/exploring trip to New Zealand.
You won't get cape buffalo for ten grand. Well, maybe this coming year you might. The lodges are having a tough go surviving the pandemic and really bidding hard for business right now. I got a helluva offer for buff last month. Less than ten grand but not the Zambezi either.

I am happy enough hunting pheasants in Montana with my dogs. It tops hunting in Africa ... which I will be doing again in June.

Since Alaska mountain goat hunts under $10,000 are getting scarce, I’d say an elk hunt on horseback up toward the eastern Yellowstone boundary would be the winner for me.

Last edited:
I've seen black bear hunts that you stay on a yacht and go to shore on a dingy type boat when you see a bear. In the mean time you fish for halibut and cod and whatever else you can catch and put out crab traps. That seems like a combo of two awesome trips put together.

I've seen black bear hunts that you stay on a yacht and go to shore on a dingy type boat when you see a bear. In the mean time you fish for halibut and cod and whatever else you can catch and put out crab traps. That seems like a combo of two awesome trips put together.
Yes. I looked into it once and I was surprised I thought it would be a lot more expensive but that was years ago.

It is funny that you ask.

I am planning a South America trip that will allow me to

a. Hunt Red Stag and Doves in Argentina
b. 5 day boat trip on the Amazon River in Brazil
c. Inca Jungle trek to Machu Picchu in Peru

and the cost is very close to the amount allowed by the op

I have always wanted to visit S. America and have had this plan in the works for over a year.
Any ballpark prices for red stag in S America? Anyone do this trip ? Seems more reasonable than going to new zealand.

Any ballpark prices for red stag in S America? Anyone do this trip ? Seems more reasonable than going to new zealand.

Europe, has hunted both countries and when I originally asked her, she said that both countries offer good hunts. She said hunting the Tahr in New Zealand was a nice addition to the Red Stag hunt and that the country was beautiful. But that the Red Stag hunt in Argentina would be a bit cheaper, even after the exchange rate gain in NZ.

But my goal was always S. America, as I had other things I wanted to do besides hunt while there. However I did find the Red Stag hunt prices were less expensive than the same hunt in N.Z., plus the hunt had two more benefits, to me anyway. It included one day of dove hunting and the Red Stag hunt could be done via horseback. She also suggested while there I hunt the Fallow and Axis deer, as well as the Patagonian Dall, which I may or may not do, depending on finances .

Europe, has hunted both countries and when I originally asked her, she said that both countries offer good hunts. She said hunting the Tahr in New Zealand was a nice addition to the Red Stag hunt and that the country was beautiful. But that the Red Stag hunt in Argentina would be a bit cheaper, even after the exchange rate gain in NZ.

But my goal was always S. America, as I had other things I wanted to do besides hunt while there. However I did find the Red Stag hunt prices were less expensive than the same hunt in N.Z., plus the hunt had two more benefits, to me anyway. It included one day of dove hunting and the Red Stag hunt could be done via horseback. She also suggested while there I hunt the Fallow and Axis deer, as well as the Patagonian Dall, which I may or may not do, depending on finances .
Don't forget about blackbuck. Those are spectacular trophies.

A return to Kodiak for a week long blacktail hunt and fishing combo. Then, I've heard that Iceland has some of the worlds largest brown trout. I'd take my fly rod and see if that were true.
Then again, as Randi mentioned, Argentina for stag, dove then a week or so chasing trout in Patgonia holds a certain appeal.

10K would finance fall and spring long weekend 'splurge' roadtrips to our favorite Santa Fe and Crested Butte...maybe even a third. We've done the Mexico thing....Europe or Hawaii are out...tis good 'ol Continental US of A for us.

Don't forget about blackbuck. Those are spectacular trophies.
they are. we hunted them in Texas on a 15000/20000 acre ranch in the hill country when we lived there.
10K would finance fall and spring long weekend 'splurge' roadtrips to our favorite Santa Fe and Crested Butte...maybe even a third. We've done the Mexico thing....Europe or Hawaii are out...tis good 'ol Continental US of A for us.
you have no idea how much I miss the great state of Texas, as well as the Grand Canyon, the Mississippi river, Longhorn cattle!!. I love Alaska, I love hunting Alaska, but I miss home .😢

My college roommate and I are going to do this. We are both teachers. We will both retire the same year. We hunt together often.

Leave mid June when school is over. Drive from the east coast to Alaska through BC and Yukon. Fool around fishing the whole way there. Finish up hunting Alaska for a variety of species big and small. Spend as much time as it takes to shoot a big ass Alaskan moose. Then take the ferry to Seattle, and drive across the country hunting and fishing some more.....hopefully make it home by Christmas.

I just booked a remote wilderness AK fishing trip for son in law and myself. Fly out to a remote lodge 250 miles west of Anchorage, then each day they take you out via super cub to various rivers or lakes to catch the different species of fish available in the area; trout, salmon, sheefish, pike, grayling, etc. Shore lunch every day, then back to a comfortable lodge each evening for cocktails, supper, a hot shower, etc.

Have hunted AK many times but never fished yet. Really looking forward to it. Much more leisurely and comfortable than hunting in AK.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back