Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Christmas present

van franke

Hope everyone got what they wanted for christmas. I got a very unexpected gift.

Christmas afternoon my nine year old nephew (tim) wanted to go coyote hunting, so while the rest of my family shot clays, we slipped out to do some calling. Our setup was on a fenceline between a crp field and pasture where i had seen two dogs bedded the weekend before. We had just gotten into our spot and I told tim to load up his 22lr rossi break open. As I watched him frantically search for a bullet I had to chuckle as he realized he forgot them. Iwanted him to have the oppurtunity to shoot, so I set him up behind the 25-06 I was carrying. With the bipod adjusted and tim sitiuated I let out a sequence. We sat tight for the next five minutes, and when I say tight I mean wiggle, wiggle, a little more wiggle. I let out another sequence of dyeing groans. No response. Five minutes go by and Tim leans over "Uncle Van I gotta pee" I told him to sit tight another five minutes till the sun drops. Just then we hear a coyote howl 3/4 of a mile off. I let out some squals and I can see the coyote running off the hill top heading right at us. I barely had time to get tim setup on the rifle in the right direction. As the coyote popped up 100 yards out tim let me know he had him in the crosshairs. I was just getting ready to bring him on in with a squeek when BOOM. This is where I wish I had pictures to show you of a 9 year old with his first coyote, but unfortunately he shot about 4 inches high. It was so close, for his first time shooting a rifle with a scope I was very impressed. It was an awsome experience and I believe he is hooked now. He has been talking about it none stop driving everyone nuts. I love it.

Hope everyone had a merry christmas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back