Choosing a side of the divide

Epfd217

Newer elk hunter here and my buddy and I are trying a new state this year. In doing my e-scouting, my primary of focus has me looking at two great looking areas that have somewhat different characteristics.

One is on the west side of some tall craggy mountains and the other spot is on the east side of that same complex of peaks. The western side is obviously much drier appearing the the trees appear to be more brushy and smaller.
The eastern side of much greener, taller trees and denser forest.
Also the west side is steep while the east side of less steep and more of a long roling drop from the peaks. The east side provides more land to work within (up to five miles of roadless area).

I've gotten advice to check the west side of this area, but while researching plan B, C and D the other features of the area really seem to show a stark contrast.

Can those with experience give advice on how you would look at the situation and make a plan? I've made calls, but so far am unsuccessful at reaching wardens or biologists on the phone this late in the summer. Still working on it though.

THoughts?

Agreed with boots on the ground. Elk habitat can really vary, from thick & steep terrain to dry & open. Hunting pressure may also dictate where they end up. Outside of information from the biologist, the only real way to find out is get out there and see for yourself. Be flexible and be ready to check out the other side if the first side doesn't look too good.

It's not possible to tell where elk are going to be by looking at pics. You can see that an area might look elky but without actually being there it's a coin toss. They might be in one general area during one season and a completely different place during another season. After the rut is over and they have been pressured they like to hang out in the nastiest country there is.
You have to be able to check out a spot for a couple of days and if there is very little or only old sign the elk have moved on. You have to be prepared to move around and find where they went.

Back