Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Chico Hot Springs and elk

What Map

My wife and I have been going to Chico Hot Springs for over three decades. Our oldest daughter was married there a few years ago. Chico is seen by many in Montana as a fun, quality “get away” resort that isn’t too far away. I live 60 miles away.

In our family when you don’t know what to get someone for birthdays or Christmas, a gift certificate to Chico is a welcome option. My wife and I had a few of these gifts in inventory and took a two day soak and food get away to Chico last week.

On our way home shortly after noon, we took a drive south from Chico on the River Road to Dailey Lake next to the public Dome Mountain wildlife winter range area. This area is about half way between Chico and Yellowstone National Park. Here are a few pictures of the herd of over 100 elk we saw from our car on the county road.

HT elk chico 2015 #1.jpg

HT elk chico 2015 #2.jpg

HT elk chico 2015 #4.jpg

Yep. I'm guessing those elk were on the Dome Mtn Ranch. And the Dome Mtn Ranch is for sale. Here's hoping a collection of conservation-minded organizations can work some magic and get the bulk of that property purchased & added to the existing WMA. It's an important piece of wintering ground that I'm sure some developer out there wants to see as 40-acre ranchettes.

Subdivision of wintering grounds is one of the most serious problems for big game animals.

Yep. I'm guessing those elk were on the Dome Mtn Ranch. And the Dome Mtn Ranch is for sale. Here's hoping a collection of conservation-minded organizations can work some magic and get the bulk of that property purchased & added to the existing WMA. It's an important piece of wintering ground that I'm sure some developer out there wants to see as 40-acre ranchettes.
That ranch is at the top of my "to buy" list after I hit the Powerball.

My wife and I love going there too. She has a birthday in mid-November and we like to go there so she can soak and get a massage while I hunt Mule Deer. Not sure there's a better (developed) place for a weekend getaway.

Rmyoung1, I did not have my Hunting GPS Maps with me on this trip. I could tell by the little signage I saw that we were going through private and public land on the road. I certainly hope it all will stay undeveloped. Maybe I'll buy my first powerball ticket. You know, that voluntary tax on the statistically challenged.

That picture wasn't on DM Ranch but it was the same elk. You would have to drive past Dailey Lake to be driving on the ranch.
The story I have heard was that when the ranch first came on the market before the current owners bought it the RMEF tried to buy it. Hopefully, they will come and try again. Losing the habitat on this ranch to subdivision would be a travesty.

Patrick

If an organization asked for donations to buy and preserve this ranch I would donate a lot more than 1 dollar.

Patrick

Me too. It's a special place. I had the opportunity to fish one of the lakes on the property as a youngster. And I've seen a collection of arrow heads, elk horn buttons, and other cool things collected by the previous owner, Thelma Gray, who spent her life on the ranch. Really cool.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back