Cheyenne Pro's and Cons

jlmatthew

For the good folks that live in Cheyenne, what would your pro's / cons be of living there? Wife and I are wanting out of Colorado but still be reasonably close to family (under 3 hours from Colorado Springs).

I know someone will say wind, but I have plenty of that here too. My pickup just received a 28k paint job from 95mph wind gust last December

Appreciate anything you guys have to say

I live in Cheyenne, I'm not sure you would like it here, jlmatthew.... Almost no traffic, super conservative voters, almost no humidity or mosquitoes, over 50% of the state is publicly accessible land, great gun laws, no income tax...

Honestly though, I have lived in 7 different states over the last 10 years, and Wyoming is by far the best. The people are not very cultured, and the food scene is pretty lame, but everything else is awesome. Come and check it out, you might find that you've finally made it home.

Been here for 15 years now. Not much to add to Bam Bam. Close enough to Denver to get to an international airport or other big city things such as concerts and pro sports if you're into those kind of things. You can hunt deer/elk every year. Antelope maybe depending on the area. Don't have kids at home anymore, so can't judge the schools. No state income tax, but you'll probably pay more for vehicle registration. I was then and still now surprised at the cost of homes here - especially if you want a few acres of your own. The last couple of guys I've hired in here have remarked how tight and difficult it is to find a rental. Feel free to reach out. Good luck.

Thanks guys. Been to Cheyenne numerous times, but visiting and living are two different things. Wife and I use the VA for most healthcare needs. Wyoming would give us free Disabled Veteran plates for our vehicles it appears with me being 100% rated and wife is 90%. Property tax exemption after 3 years as well.

The less culture the better. We're about cultured out being in Colorado. Cheyenne has the Rib & Chophouse if we need culture. ;)

Laramie is smaller. Usually a few degrees colder. More mom and pop type stores and restaurants but that is changing. Cultural and athletic events due to the University. I love it here.

Been giving it serious consideration. Passed through there and spent the night on the way to Colorado. Lotsa Pronghorns!

Game day is really not bad if you plan ahead. Before games are kind of busy downtown but during the locals go hang out and watch on tv at the bars. After the game , the idiots do tend to show themselves. Fun atmosphere if you like football.

rwc have I seen you at The Library? Wouldn't mind meeting some time and having a beer.

Property taxes are high to go with vehicle registration in Wyoming.
Not sure folks are less cultured but they sure are more reserved.

rwc have I seen you at The Library? Wouldn't mind meeting some time and having a beer.

Possibly. I rotate between the downtown breweries, so I go there from time to time. Usually at the outdoor tables or bar area. Short guy with a beard. I would be down for a brew or two. The planned Laramie meetup never happened because covid shut things down.

I live close enough to the stadium that people park on my street to avoid parking fees when going to games. It's definitely not Frontiers Day bad. I only realized there was a game going on last Friday because a few more cars were parked along my street. The Farmer's Market is more disruptive since it takes up parking downtown.

Thanks guys. Been to Cheyenne numerous times, but visiting and living are two different things. Wife and I use the VA for most healthcare needs. Wyoming would give us free Disabled Veteran plates for our vehicles it appears with me being 100% rated and wife is 90%. Property tax exemption after 3 years as well.

The less culture the better. We're about cultured out being in Colorado. Cheyenne has the Rib & Chophouse if we need culture. ;)
No property tax exemption after three years. It is a discount off assessed valuation which adds up to just a few bucks.

Don't have a lot to add, others have pretty much nailed it. Lived there for almost 10 yrs before transferring for a promotion. Big mistake, but in the end it'll work out. I'll be able to transfer back to Laramie or Cheyenne soon. The tax burden is incredibly less in Wyo compared to where I'm at. The VA is old in Cheyenne but found it much easier to get what you need when you need it. The people at that VA make it worth going.

Cheyenne and Wyoming in general are very veteran friendly, you are already aware of the tax cuts. Checkout the free fishing license and free lifetime day pass and camping passes for disabled resident veterans.

If you really want a taste of Wyoming's culture, go check out the Bunkhouse between Laramie and Cheyenne on a weekend night.

Make sure you add hail damage coverage to everything you insure.

I'll add if you like shooting trap, Cheyenne has a great trap league.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back