Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Charter fishing in Cancun / Tulum

Wildabeest

Planning a trip with my kids to Cancun and Tulum in Nov. Amongst other debauchery on their list of things to do, both have agreed that a 1/2 day fishing charter would be fun. Has anyone done this in either location? Recommendations or warnings on charter operators or anything else?

Also, any advice on other excursions to do or stay away from would be welcome. Cancun will be mostly hang out at the pool and beach, eat and drink. Tulum more site seeing and excursions. We’ll work in a traditional Mexican cuisine cooking class as well!

Thanks!

Planning a trip with my kids to Cancun and Tulum in Nov. Amongst other debauchery on their list of things to do...

Also, any advice on other excursions to do ...
Thanks!
Sounds like a blast!
I've been to Cancun a long while ago. A blast was enjoying the education and practical use of the entry enjoyment/experience within a recreational scuba dive course.
Back then, it was a 3 hour pool course then off to experience up to 30' deep ocean scuba. Children to adults, it's an experience beyond experiences.

I was there this spring did not fish but a couple of cool things we did was the Mayan ruins in tulum and the sinotes (under ground caves). Watch out for those time share SOBs at the airport and resorts and learn to just ignore people trying to sell you things.

O and if your resort is on the water take some goggles with you, dove around in the surf break area and you’ll find conch shells and other shells all over. Same ones guys are walking up and down beach selling. We found a couple nice ones and put in luggage no questions on way home.

We used Ivan out of plya a few years ago. Motored down the break to a turtle sanctuary. Did not catch fish but snorkeled with the turtles which made it a pleasant trip. Reasonable prices.

Cenotes are worth doing if it is extra warm outside. Worth sitting through a timeshare presentation to get a free excursion.
Atv in the jungle to the cenotes was fun as was ziplining.

We have not done all the ruin trips, mainly because sitting in a car for hours versus drinking mango margaritas in the swim up pool bar was a decider.

Last edited:
I've fished several times along the coast of Playa del Carmen, but boats were out of Mazatlan.
Mostly just Mahi, missed a sail fish last year.
The outfit I've used will pick you up in Playa del Carmen. PM me if your interested in the name, nothing fancy but I have caught fish. The hotel chef will prepare my catch, usually 3 different ways plus appetizers, outstanding eating.20190619_220427.jpg20220611_081852(0).jpg

Planning a trip with my kids to Cancun and Tulum in Nov. Amongst other debauchery on their list of things to do, both have agreed that a 1/2 day fishing charter would be fun. Has anyone done this in either location? Recommendations or warnings on charter operators or anything else?

Also, any advice on other excursions to do or stay away from would be welcome. Cancun will be mostly hang out at the pool and beach, eat and drink. Tulum more site seeing and excursions. We’ll work in a traditional Mexican cuisine cooking class as well!

Thanks!
Have fished with Pesca Maya a couple times as a 'day trip' from Cancun. https://pescamaya.com/day-trips-for-flyfishing-or-light-tackle-fishing-in-ascension-bay/

That is a long damn day from up in Cancun, but would be pretty easy from Tulum. Bonefish of the small mexican variety were everywhere, several permit shots, a few baby tarpon.

Also went twice with these guys off Isla Mujeres/Isla Blanca : https://www.cancuntarponfishing.com/ - also flats fishing in my case (bungled 2 permit, lost one and had a couple others do permit things and ignore perfectly placed casts), but they do all kinds of trips, including light tackle in the lagoon, which is very easy button if you're staying in Cancun and has a lot of snook and baby tarpon.

Definitely make a point to go up to the main square in Downtown Cancun (Parque las Palapas) one night. Tons of food stalls/taco stands (which are excellent), usually some kind of show on the stage, various vendors and such. You will see virtually no other tourists, so a nice break from the hotel zone.

We were just in Playa Del Carmen back in April. I charter fish wherever I go, however I intentionally held off here as the fishing is not that good. I considered it as I was able to find 1/2 day trips for ~ $3-400, but that's a lot to maybe catch a dolphin or barracuda.
What I would recommend instead is exploring the cenotes and other excursions. We did the cenotes, tulum ruins, and turtle swim tour which was awesome. I'd also recommend Xplor at night. It's a bit cheaper and a really cool experience (ziplining, cenotes, ATV driving etc.).
We also took a trip (I drove my rental car) to Cenote Eden. It was only ~ $10 U.S. to get in. It was our favorite cenote. We brought our snorkeling gear with us. I highly recommend it as well.

Last edited:
I did a charter in cancun. Overall didn't love didn't hate it.

Good was we caught a lot of amber jack.

Bad, spent part of the morning catching bait, couldn't keep your catch, no other species were targeted

I guess if I were to do it again I would go specifically for a species, Mahi Mahi for example, and only pick a charter that would agree to go after them exclusively. Also, I'd ask about keeping fish vs the captain keeping all the catch

Back