Yeti GOBOX Collection

Changing rifles because of excess recoil.

brnsvllyjohn

How many of you have changed from a magnum caliber to a gun with less recoil? The gun I shoot the most is a 7mag and the gun I go to for other things or less recoil is a 7mm-08. Big difference. I do not like brakes so I won't install one. I have not stopped hunting with the mag yet but might in the near future and the recoil really isn't that bad with the best recoil pads and getting the gun to fit. I have 4 friends that are all over 65 (like me) and none of them shoot their 30 caliber magnums any more. One guy started with a 300 Weatherby mag then a 300 win mag and now a 7-08. Another had a 300 win short mag and he now shoots a 280. 2 others have 300 win mags and have gone back to their 30-06. A couple added brakes and the noise is excessive. I think in all of the cases I mentioned it is about the muscle mass or lack of muscle mass as some guys are pushing 80 and cannot stand the recoil. If you are less than 60 you probably dont care. If you are 70 you might be starting to think about a 308 instead of a 300 mag.
I have noticed on here recently some posts about 300 mags and was just wondering what percentage of shooters have decided the magnums aren't needed for their type of hunting?

As of now my go to rifle is also my 7RM. Been using it since the early 80's and I love it. It never bothers me when I shoot at game but it does get a bit uncomfortable after an extended target shooting session.
If the recoil ever does start to bother me I will simply start using my wife's .270.

I once had a .300 WSM in a heavy rifle and while the recoil wasn't too bad, I will probably never own a magnum again. My biggest rifle now is a .30-06 and see no reason to go bigger. I don't shoot past 400 yards and don't plan on a brown/grizzly bear hunt anytime soon. Ammo expense is another knock against the magnums. Bullets are so good these days, you really can get away with smaller calibers.

There’s nothing wrong with using a lesser powered rifle to avoid recoil and be more comfortable shooting. You might find that something simple like trying a different pad, putting a cheek riser on your stock, or dropping down 10-20 grains in your bullets makes your rifle shoot much easier.

Recoil is sooo dependent on rifle weight/design. I sold a 7mm-08 because I didn't like how the 7-08 recoiled relative to my 7mm Mag and 30-06s. 7mm Mag was 2lbs heavier than my 7-08, 30-06 1lb heavier, plus I think you get more of a push than a punch with a .30 caliber vs 7mm.
I'm actually switching from a 30-06 to a 300 WM for out west because I'm switching to all copper and the other guys I hunt with use 300s = everyone has ammo in a pinch. If I get sick of the 300 WM's recoil I'll switch cartridges before I use a muzzle brake.

Well, as far as a gun aficionado or a collector goes "You can never have enough cool toys". On that note, after 40+ years of hunting I have killed so many big game animals exclusively with a 30:06 and even small game (coyotes/cats) and as a practical matter would say if I only had ONE rifle to choose from "for hunting", it would be a 30:06. Of course I own much more than one rifle and enjoy the cool toy thing like everyone else. My next favorite and very practical hunting rifle would have to be a bolt action 223 for small game of which I spend plenty of time in the field with during spring and summer. I do intend on picking up a 7mm 08 and think as a practical low recoil hunting cartridge I see a really good and solid all around rifle for almost anything in North America that most hunters will hunt, including myself.

I definitely DO NOT enjoy spending time at at the range shooting my magnums for many reasons to include price and recoil. On top of that I just don't use them in the field so they are what I call prestige rifles.

I was very excited to buy a brand new Tikka T3x stainless in 30-06 a few years ago. Rifle weighed about 6 lbs. 2 oz. When I loaded up full strength 180 Accubonds, that thing was no fun at all to shoot. I found myself starting to flinch after about 3 trips to the range for load work-up. I shoot a lot in a T-shirt, as it's usually warm here, and after a year or so I sold that rifle to a buddy who wanted to rebarrel it. I found a 7mm-08 in the same rifle, and never looked back. I figure there is a time and place for bigger calibers, but for day-to-day deer hunting, my 7mm-08 is more than enough. And I shoot it so much that I have a lot of confidence in it now.

I bought into the magnumitis craze about 15 years ago and bought a 300 Win mag. Killed lots of critters, but after having a rod placed in my clavicle a few years ago, I can't stand the recoil anymore. I tried being a tough guy, but have recently decided the heck with it. The question now is 308 or 708?

I think the magnum phase is starting to fizzle a bit. I don't dislike them but the benefits over standard cartridges aren't apparent enough for me in real world.

30-06, 270 etc all seemed to be enough until gun writers said they weren't. Never had a deer die quicker or deader with a magnum than with my little 275 Rigby.

I’ve got a 260 Remington that Is my go to for white tail antelope coyotes i love it. It has minimal recoil and is a tack driver. I I have a 338 win mag I bought for some upcoming Alaska hunts I’ve gone back and forth on the brake for it or switching to a smaller caliber I also hate the extra noise from a break but have to decide if it’s worth the trade off

Just turn 67 and JUST got an 8mm rem mag, 375 H&H necked down and blown out, LOVE IT.
I put a dead mule in the stock shoot a 200 gr Barnes at 3200 fps.
I think my 870 32" 12 gauge with 3 1/2 " shells kicks harder.

I’ve never shot a magnum and likely never will. My 12 gauge has no recoil pad and it bruises my shoulder every time I shoot a hot turkey load but I like the gun and I like turkey hunting so I just deal with it. With my 30-06 which was probably pushing 9 lbs I did OK with recoil but did have some issues with flinching. I kept moving to lighter loads and finally sold it. I have a relatively light 6.5CM I plan to use for elk on down and after shooting it for the first time a few weeks ago it was really pleasant to shoot, which seems to help me shoot more accurately. Someday I’d like to hunt moose and I’m thinking I’d get a .45-70 and see how hot of load I can tolerate. I’m a younger guy and I have no shame in my dislike of recoil.

Went from a 7mm Rem Mag to a 30-06 and 9.3x62. I've found the noise/speed of my mag recoil bothered me more than the actual ft lbs of recoil. In the process of going down to a 7x57 and my 9.3. The 06 is still here, but probably wont be the first rifle I grab anymore.

Just turn 67 and JUST got an 8mm rem mag, 375 H&H necked down and blown out, LOVE IT.
I put a dead mule in the stock shoot a 200 gr Barnes at 3200 fps.
I think my 870 32" 12 gauge with 3 1/2 " shells kicks harder.
Went from an .06 to a .300 RUM bout 20 years ago for my primary. Ain't going backward any time soon. mtmuley

I think the thing to remember is that rifles are getting lighter and lighter. What some guys considered a proper "man's" rifle back in the day, usually came in a 9-10 lb. package all-in. Nowdays, we're shooting 7 lb. packages all-in, and the recoil of an '06 in a 7 lb. rifle is comparable to a .300 Win Mag in a 9 lb. rifle.

Even my 7mm-08 in a 6.5 lb. rifle, with 160's is going to kick more than grandad's '06.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back