Chance of getting permission Big Piney HMA in WY

bkondeff

We have type 7 cow tags. Think there's a total of 400 tags that can apply to HMA for Dec/Jan, but only 100 spots available. HMA is private land, so is there some kind of inside info, meaning do you need to know a rancher, etc., or is pure first come first serve, etc.

We're going in Nov, before the HMA is avail, so maybe we won't need it, but was hoping someone here has some insight on it.

Thanks.

The rules for that HMA are strictly for the December/January season that includes all the ranches that are making up that HMA. If you want to hunt any of those ranches that make up that HMA earlier like you're talking about, you would have to gain permission through contact with the individual ranches shown that are a part of that HMA.

Last edited:
You probably have to apply on the G&F website under the Access Yes program for the HMA. If you don't draw make some calls to the ranchers enrolled or to the Game Warden in the area and they may be able to get you on a ranch after the season gets going.

You probably have to apply on the G&F website under the Access Yes program for the HMA. If you don't draw make some calls to the ranchers enrolled or to the Game Warden in the area and they may be able to get you on a ranch after the season gets going.

That HMA consists of a bunch of ranches and they are only allowing hunting for cows under that HMA status during December and January. That two months is the time period that a permission slip is good for IF you are one that applies in time online and get one of the one hundred slips available. It's a very simple process explained in the rules right on the G&F website under the HMA Program. Any other time that you would want to hunt any of those ranches like the OP does earlier in November they would be individual private operations and you would have to do exactly what I mentioned and go to the individual ranch to seek permission for access.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your responses, but I was already aware of what info you provided. I'll clarify my question. How do they choose the 100 tag holders that get permission on the Big Piney HMA for Dec/Jan. I would assume it is either a pure draw or a pure first come first serve. I am concerned the land owners may have an opportunity to pick and choose, or that there is some other sort of "catch" one should know about, such as if they keep a list at "X" office and you should call them, etc.

So has anyone applied?

Hoping to fill in Nov and not need access later, but I certainly would prefer to get permission lined up just in case.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Its all on the page:

Permission slips for December 1, 2016 – January 31, 2017 (elk hunting) are issued via first come first serve basis.

Applications start November 11, 2016.

Well, the guys above layed it out in black and white for ya. We did this last year for a different HMA. You simply fill out the short form online and if there is an open slip for the dates you're going, you get it right away and you print it off. No wait, no fuss, no insider secrets. Very straight forward.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back