Caribou Gear Tarp

Chamber Empty or Loaded

Western hunting- no round in chamber/no primer in muzzleloader.

WI whitetail- round in chamber (stand or still hunting), but won’t throw a primer in unless I’m staying put in one spot for a while.

It’s very hard to ever argue against safety. It is interesting, however, that people very rarely seem to advocate for carrying a handgun on an open chamber (which to me makes way more sense from a safety standpoint).

Last edited:
Western hunting- no round in chamber/no primer in muzzleloader.

WI whitetail- round in chamber (stand or still hunting), but won’t throw a primer in unless I’m staying out for a while.

It’s very hard to ever argue against safety. It is interesting, however, that people very rarely seem to advocate for carrying a handgun on an open chamber (which to me makes way more sense from a safety standpoint).
I do this (hammer/open chamber) & clean pipe on a slide

I recently had a discussion with a co-worker that got me curious about this subject. How many of you carry your rifle without a round in the chamber when you're hunting? I've noticed a couple of "professional" hunters (the Meateater crew) doing it, and my co-worker said today that he does the same and taught his kids to do it. He has no formal weapons training, while I've had extensive training in fighting with firearms and obviously in that application, an empty chamber is a recipe for disaster. I assume the difference in background has something to do with it, but I was just curious what the general opinion was on the topic?

Lock and Load! Get Er' done! 💥

I would too, Noharley. But seems you very rarely hear of guys that are carrying handguns with an empty chamber (Perhaps it’s just my perception?).

Only loaded/chambered when totting the muzzleloader, and cap-less nipple until I am thinking I may have a shot.

Safety on, mostly hot unless not ready to shoot, i.e. hill climb or decent, pack...
Handgun always hot.

Last time this was posted it was a long and contentious thread. I tried to search for it but was unsuccessful. Chamber, Loaded, etc. come up way too many times in other discussions.

Hunting with my fellow Utards - unloaded. You gotta roll the window down and let the truck come to somewhat of a stop before you blaze away from the road. Plenty of time to chamber a round and stick the gun out the window. ;)

If I'm stalking in close, I'll usually chamber a round when I get within the range I plan on shooting from - if a shot is presented. Still hunting/hunting an escape route - I'll put a round in the chamber when I get set up. All other times, the chamber is empty.

My Dad took us hunting A LOT growing up. He never allowed comfortability around firearms to produce complacency around them. I used to roll my eyes every time he asked if the safety was on. Now, my son rolls his eyes at me every time I ask him if the safety is on - sheer irony.

I would too, Noharley. But seems you very rarely hear of guys that are carrying handguns with an empty chamber (Perhaps it’s just my perception?).
I'm fine with handguns in the ready but don't carry enough to be comfortable with em charged on person or within reach. I fully expect a LEO or Security to be hot.

I'm sure I could find some great old videos of my Dad, sister, brother-in law, and friend driving 40-50mph in a suburban taking turns shooting running coyotes out the window with a shot gun. I even got footage of the driver (lefthanded) rolling a coyote with a benelli shotgun, el pistole style. The legendary Pat Ryder. Hunter safety in its finest form.

These threads only help to reassure me that I am not being an a-hole when I demand my sons show me an empty chamber on their rifle before we leave the truck, trailhead, camp, lunch break, random spots on the trail, get back to the truck, etc.

IHEA has a large database of accident information, there is a good mix of states from every region West, East, Midwest, etc.

Weapon related incidents

1652199254022.png

Top incidents by type
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1652199333840.png
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1652199376328.png
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Land ownership of incident and if it was fatal or non-fatal
1652200232594.png
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1652200756913.png

He never allowed comfortability around firearms to produce complacency around them. I used to roll my eyes every time he asked if the safety was on. Now, my son rolls his eyes at me every time I ask him if the safety is on - sheer irony.
Important life lessons never are understated. Safety is something enhanced by redundancy ... over and over and over again. But then this is from a retired helicopter maintenance test pilot who was constantly at the ready for the next thing to go wrong ... that was absolutely certain ... and typically occurred during spells of complacency, flying fat, dumb, and happy.

After learning of Remington rifle safety problems, I had my Remington 700 BDL safety mechanism replaced so the bolt can open on SAFE. Until ready to fire, no round in chamber and safety ON. With no round in the chamber there have been times hiking through the brush, trees, or snow when it was discovered that something brushed the safety and moved it OFF.
Another inadvertent pull of the trigger by a finger or an object brushed against could easily cause an unexpected and undesired discharge.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTP1029
Back