Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Chamber Empty or Loaded

I can't speak for Hamm, but I read that as the accident in question was a result of Negligence and defiance of safety rules. No comment on a loaded chamber, but I would hazard a guess to say a loaded gun was part of the problem but not the negligent component...

I see the point being, even if the friend had been negligent, but had an empty chamber, he would still be here today.
Could be. I was just hoping he'd clarify. As I alluded to earlier, chamber empty hunting seems to be almost completely unheard of in the eastern part of the country, where shots tend to be closer and the noise of chambering a round would regularly scare away game. That being the case, it'd be interesting to see some statistics on hunting related accidental shootings in the different regions.

I can’t think of a single good reason to chamber a center fire rifle round when hunting anytime before you’re getting ready to shoot. I can think of plenty bad reasons. This was beat to death in another thread.

Not a single good reason..

I can’t think of a single good reason to chamber a center fire rifle round when hunting anytime before you’re getting ready to shoot. I can think of plenty bad reasons. This was beat to death in another thread.

Not a single good reason..
I mentioned one in the post just above yours. Hunting in places where shots beyond 100 yds are rare and shots under 50 yds are the norm. A whitetail can definitely hear a round being chambered at those distances. Now, if you're of the opinion that leaving the chamber empty until a shot is imminent is a basic safety rule, on the same level as muzzle and trigger discipline, then spooking game on occasion because of it is just part of the deal. But if a person has that opinion, they'd basically never be able to participate in certain kinds of hunting at all, such as upland birds and turkeys.

I mentioned one in the post just above yours. Hunting in places where shots beyond 100 yds are rare and shots under 50 yds are the norm. A whitetail can definitely hear a round being chambered at those distances. Now, if you're of the opinion that leaving the chamber empty until a shot is imminent is a basic safety rule, on the same level as muzzle and trigger discipline, then spooking game on occasion because of it is just part of the deal. But if a person has that opinion, they'd basically never be able to participate in certain kinds of hunting at all, such as upland birds and turkeys.
That’s bullshit.

This thread is getting muddy. The OP asked about hot carry in the woods. The OP also said he came from a combat background. Different world. My dad always said to hunt like the animals would shoot back. Well, they don't. He was wrong.

I've had an accidental discharge and I'll admit it. My AD came at the end of a chain of events. I could have broken the chain at a number of points. These things are rarely black and white. In my case, the rifle went off and no one was hit by the bullet. No matter, lawyers are drawn to the sound of an accidental discharge.

There really isn't any debate about gun handling practice at the trailhead or in the truck. I do not trust safeties. I do not trust other hunters. I do not trust MYSELF. Every oopskaboom I've ever witnessed was with an "unloaded" weapon. Mine too. All these were classic, "My Hunter's Ed instructor told me never to do that." scenarios. I will be an ass an make everyone around me keep their actions open. Easier to simply hunt alone.

I doubt I could offer any gun handling advice on here that we haven't already heard from our Hunter's Ed or BCT instructors. You CAN shoot yourself with a rifle. I have looked down my own bore a time or two after a fall. Others' bores far too often just standing around.

To answer the OP question about hot carry.

I'm in the 96% club. Only hot when still-hunting ALONE in dark timber. Only with guns equipped with safeties that block the hammer or striker. I have a range drill I practice to keep it muscle memory. Shoulder weapon, acquire target, release safety, move finger to trigger, shoot. I retired my tang safety rifles because it is too easy to get in the habit of releasing the safety on the way up to shoulder the rifle. Don't we all do it that way with our shotguns?

I have missed opportunities because I did not have a round chambered, I have never lost any sleep over it. Part of this is the, "5 stages in the life of a hunter." thing. At this point, the kill is less important than it used to be. Safety more important than it used to be.

You still-hunt or wing shoot turkeys? Around here that is body armor required. I don't chamber a round in my turkey gun until I am set up.

Always empty. I've heard too many horror stories to take a chance. I won't hunt with anyone who disagrees with me on this, and I'm perfectly happy if anyone I'm with wants me to double check that I don't have a round in the chamber.

I grew up jump shooting blacktails so loaded chamber safety on. Per Oak's reasoning.

When in a scabbard on horseback, empty chamber. In vehicle, empty chamber, 100 yards from camp or less, empty chamber.

If I'm hunting with you, and you ask me to keep my chamber empty, I would comply, or go off by myself.

This thread is getting muddy. The OP asked about hot carry in the woods. The OP also said he came from a combat background. Different world. My dad always said to hunt like the animals would shoot back. Well, they don't. He was wrong.
Just to make sure that no one gets the wrong idea, I've never been in combat, only received a lot of training from those who have.
To answer the OP question about hot carry.

I'm in the 96% club. Only hot when still-hunting ALONE in dark timber. Only with guns equipped with safeties that block the hammer or striker. I have a range drill I practice to keep it muscle memory. Shoulder weapon, acquire target, release safety, move finger to trigger, shoot. I retired my tang safety rifles because it is too easy to get in the habit of releasing the safety on the way up to shoulder the rifle. Don't we all do it that way with our shotguns?
What I was getting at in my post in response to Greenhorn was that hunting with an empty chamber isn't a safety rule (for most people at least) on the same level as muzzle and trigger discipline. From the sounds of it, no one here practices it 100% of the time, in all circumstances, like they (hopefully) do with muzzle and trigger discipline.

You still-hunt or wing shoot turkeys? Around here that is body armor required. I don't chamber a round in my turkey gun until I am set up.
My point was that it's not the same level as muzzle or trigger discipline. If it were, it'd apply all the time, not just while you're moving.

Didn't mean to start an electronic debate. Just curious about the subject. I'm new to western hunting. I've hunted big game in the west for a total of exactly one day and killed one elk. In the east, people (in general) hunt with a round in the chamber. If I had the good fortune to be able to hunt with an experienced Western hunter, I'd carry my rifle in whatever condition they wanted me to.

I hunt with a loaded chamber, it's the way I was taught, and even in hunter education class we were never told to hunt with an unloaded firearm. I don't know a single person who hunts with an unloaded rifle either. Only have read about it on the internet.

My point was that it's not the same level as muzzle or trigger discipline. If it were, it'd apply all the time, not just while you're moving.
It's all good. Just poking the bear. We do a lot of that on Hunttalk, roll with it.

In the end this about carrying lethal weapons. I don't think twice about EDC with a 1911 clone hot and locked. Some people call this reckless.

You have to find your comfort level for hot carry in the woods. I hot carried after big game for decades. Obviously, it's pretty hard to hunt upland birds without it.
But it's also true the scenarios where I hot carry have gotten fewer as I've gotten older. My shoot/don't shoot drill is more dialed at this point in my hunting career, too.

How many of you carry your rifle without a round in the chamber when you're hunting?
That's the question. If your rationale is you're going to scare off a potential animals to kill by the act of loading your rifle, you might want to take up a different hobby, regardless where you hunt, how thick it is, or how close you are. When you think you're about to shoot something - chamber a round. It's not that complicated. Just my opinion, obviously, but nobody here has a snowball's chance in hell of changing my mind.

I hunt with a loaded chamber, it's the way I was taught, and even in hunter education class we were never told to hunt with an unloaded firearm. I don't know a single person who hunts with an unloaded rifle either. Only have read about it on the internet.
Wow. This stuff is scarier than the Timothy Treadwell behavior.

Last edited:
Always unload guns before crossing fences or other obstacles or before negotiating rough terrain. When crossing fences, logs, or other obstacles alone: Unload the firearm.
From hunters Ed booklet.

I most often hunt rough terrain.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back