Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

CDOW - Wolves in Colorado

Just a question, but if there is documentation that wolves are in CO, does that trigger some type of regulations per the ESA or other that would make them protected? Let that sink in a little bit.

:) Wolves in Colorado are listed as endangered in CO under the ESA, regardless of who admits or denies they are here.

I would be willing to bet money they are there, its all simply a matter now of establishing what actually constitutes endangered or not.

Hopefully, there has been work done on a plan to maintain x number of wolves as a working population. By the time that quota is reached we can hope and pray that none of our objectives in Wy, ID, and Mt have been reversed in the court system. If that holds true there might be a precedent to establish seasons.

A lot of ifs in that though.

Wolf management is going to be a mess in Colorado, because we have two Distinct Popuation Segments in the state, Western and Southwestern. With a "management plan" that is nearly a decade old, and is not approved by the Feds, Colorado is not prepared for an established population in the state. And with the number of city folk we have, like jlmatthew, we have an uphill battle to ever have a wolf hunting season here. ;)

Well, that explains the deny, deny, deny position.

Deny? Can you name some names? I have yet to hear a credible report about someone from CPW denying that wolves are here. Give me the names of the people who are denying it.

Deny? Can you name some names? I have yet to hear a credible report about someone from CPW denying that wolves are here. Give me the names of the people who are denying it.

I have no clue, or a source. Just the same rhetoric everyone else has posted.

Well the elk grew fewer, so they moved east to feast on some fat whitetails! It would be interesting to know where they came from? Canada?, or west? Someone needs to kill one and find out.

(and yeh, I am a Cyclone '96.., and root for the Rams wife is an alum. also love my euro hanger :)

The wolf taht was runover on the NE/SD border came from Wyoming. Earlier one was killed in the Black Hills and it came from the East so we are getting them from both directions.

Are you clone to the bone? JK. I always like to give ISU fans crap since they give OSU fans such a hard time in Ames. I enjoy the rivalry. Hoping we can come back and win in Basketball after ISU beat us earlier. Nice to see ISU and OSU both doing well at BBall this season. I heard a funny story about CSU this week, something about a "ram ride" designated driver on campus getting a DUI. Glad you like the hanger as well.

I know a guy, who's sister's, boyfriends, brothers, wife was talking with her lover who told her that his uncle/Dad was out hunting and ran into this guy that knew about it from a buddy that drinks at the local pub.

So there you are it's fact then. Then lying's SOB's I knew d it.

Doesn't the DOW deny that there are wolves in the state on their website?

They say things like'' The wolf is gone from Colorado'' also that''The last one was killed in the 1940's''. They also go on to give a definition of the word Extirpated and explain how wolves have been ''extirpated'' from the state

See Nickj1980's link above.

Doesn't the DOW deny that there are wolves in the state on their website?

They say things like'' The wolf is gone from Colorado'' also that''The last one was killed in the 1940's''. They also go on to give a definition of the word Extirpated and explain how wolves have been ''extirpated'' from the state

See Nickj1980's link above.

Yeah, I thought that might be what folks were talking about. The "species profile" that probably hasn't been changed in 10+ years. Right below that, they post a video of a wolf in Colorado, taken in 2007 by their own staff.

Wolves are by no means numerous in the state, but I'm sure there are a few wandering around. Heck, I'd bet a paycheck that I ran into one way back in 1999. I seriously doubt that if you asked any CPW biologist if there are ANY wolves in the state, you wouldn't find one to say "no."

Yeah, I thought that might be what folks were talking about. The "species profile" that probably hasn't been changed in 10+ years. Right below that, they post a video of a wolf in Colorado, taken in 2007 by their own staff.

Wolves are by no means numerous in the state, but I'm sure there are a few wandering around. Heck, I'd bet a paycheck that I ran into one way back in 1999. I seriously doubt that if you asked any CPW biologist if there are ANY wolves in the state, you wouldn't find one to say "no."

I spent 5 weeks backpacking in the White River National Forest during the summer of 2002. Never saw a wolf, but I heard/smelled wolf more than once.

I understand what you are saying Oak, but these Managers just add to the public's confusion when they have statements like that up on their websites. That page was updated on the 31'st of October of last year,so it seems that even as late as last fall the state of Colorado wanted anyone that looked at their Website to ''Know'' that wolves had been ''Extirpated'' in their state.

This is the kind of stuff that keeps the tinfoil hat crowd busy.

I ran across wolf sign in the La Garita in 2007. Another was seen in the Big Blue in the early 2000's by a BLM employee. Could have been wolf hybrids someone released.

I understand what you are saying Oak, but these Managers just add to the public's confusion when they have statements like that up on their websites. That page was updated on the 31'st of October of last year,so it seems that even as late as last fall the state of Colorado wanted anyone that looked at their Website to ''Know'' that wolves had been ''Extirpated'' in their state.

This is the kind of stuff that keeps the tinfoil hat crowd busy.

The mistake they make is assuming that people can use a little critical thinking to discern a viable population from an occasional wanderer.

Last edited:
2007, GMU4 north of Craig scouting for a solo rifle elk hunt before the season off the SW shoulder of Black Mountain I cut a clear print of a very large canine. It dwarfed the Silva compass I used to indicate its size for a poor picture I took of it (disposable camera). Person at the sports shop gave me a wink and a smile when I inquired if wolves were in the area (just a coupla miles south of Wyoming border.) She said CDOW says there weren't any there-abouts but even then they were pretty much the only ones who were believing their own PR. I know a 'yote track when I see one and that track was fully half again as large as a big coyote track. And that was 2007.

There has been at least one pack that moved in and out of NW Colorado for nearly 50 years according to many of the old ranch families I grew up in and around. I saw two dead wolves in the late 80s, and a couple live wolves in the 90s on these places. The female that was killed on I70 was photographed on private land with two males in Routt County by a DOW officer a couple of days before she was hit and killed. Wolves have been ghosting through Colorado for decades, most old ranch families never speak of it, and neither does the DOW. Sometimes it's easier that way...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back