Yeti GOBOX Collection

Cavity in Elk Irory

Walkathon

I shot a cow elk a few years ago and she had a cavity in one of her ivories. The bottom teeth were sent in for testing by WYGF and she was aged at 8.5 years old. I'm a novice elk hunter and have only shot a couple, so I don't have much experience with elk ivories. Anybody else find cavities in their elk ivories ?

elk ivories.jpg

I have 28 sets of ivories in my safe mostly from New Mexico, but 3 from Colorado and none have cavities. Some are stained with the brown rings more than the others, but all would make the dentist smile.

Very familiar with looking at enamel (dentist since Reagan was president.......yikes!)

Without breaking out an explorer to check for softness my first thought is mechanical wear on the enamel exposing the underlying dentin and then faster wear on the softer dentin causing the cratering. There is a craze line in the enamel that runs all the way to the root/enamel junction with the biting surface half having stain penetrating subsurface.

Nice macro photography!

Wow that’s crazy!! None of the elk I’ve killed have cavities. How about @JohnCushman? Out of all the elk you’ve killed John do any of yours have cavities?

What ever axe you have to grind the open forum is not the place. These petty jabs are only making you look bad and increasing your odds of your password not working.

Years ago when I was a kid we lived in Wyoming and my dad helped out a local outfitter. On one trip my dad help a dentist get a nice bull. The dentist made jewelry as a hobby and made my dad a bolo tie from the ivories as a thank you. One of the ivories had a cavity and he filled it before he mounted it in the bolo slide. I have the bolo now, so I may own one of the few elk dentals around! LOL

What ever axe you have to grind the open forum is not the place. These petty jabs are only making you look bad and increasing your odds of your password not working.
You must be new around here. I answered the OP and wanted feedback from an experienced well respected member. I’m not sure why you are trying to derail a thread. Why would you try this on an open forum. Since you’re new around here may I suggest sending a PM @Addicting?

To the OP I’m sorry the above person is trying to provoke a derailment. Your post made me curious last night so I pulled out all my ivories. I did find a couple with some pits in them but nothing close to what yours looks like.

You must be new around here. I answered the OP and wanted feedback from an experienced well respected member. I’m not sure why you are trying to derail a thread. Why would you try this on an open forum. Since you’re new around here may I suggest sending a PM @Addicting?

To the OP I’m sorry the above person is trying to provoke a derailment. Your post made me curious last night so I pulled out all my ivories. I did find a couple with some pits in them but nothing close to what yours looks like.
Ohhhhh boy........

How about @JohnCushman? Out of all the elk you’ve killed John do any of yours have cavities?

I've tired of you being a smart ass and picking shit with most anyone you think is a good target.

And then acting like you are some sincere person trying to have a useful discussion and blaming the rest of the members for thread derailments.

Bye!

youre-just-fooling-around-im-not-imgflip-com-doc-holliday-tombstone-53782175.png

Thanks Big Fin for draining the swamp. Good thread here! Pointlessly commented on by arctic. Hopefully he takes his issues elsewhere now.

I've yet to see anything like this, kinda cool though!

I will say the two I have are from 2 different cows and they're not that severe.

Arctic seemed too familiar with the forum and some of its members, I'm guessing he has had issues in the past and this was a new account. Thanks Fin, sorry you have to spend time keeping some supposed adults from acting like 3rd graders.

Nasty looking cavity there Walkathon, makes my jaw hurt just looking at it.

Where the hell do you find this shit Harley🤣
Image result for funny gifs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back