Catalytic Converter Theft

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
Sorry Jason, that is incredibly frustrating. This happened to my wife's car right out in front of our house last year. They also cut into the crank shaft while getting the CC out, which our mechanic didn't catch because of the way it was rotated when he did the CC replacement. The crank shaft broke about two months later--thankfully while she was in the parking lot at work and not on the freeway.

We no longer park on the street at our house, and installed a motion-activated light and camera on our porch. Tweakers abound.

It appears 2022 will be a good year for tweekers. Facebook is loaded with "anyone who has appliances metal, etc we will come get them for free"

It was amazing to see what $200 a ton scrap priced did 10+ years ago, it must be high again based on the # of scrappers who have suddenly appeared.

Our shop has seen quite a few of these lately. You would see one pop up every now back in the day but it seems like the last couple years have been pretty bad. My guess is it has to do with population increase/ drug use increasing in our city. Pretty easy to unload for $$$ though, lots of people willing to come by and give you cash for them, no questions asked.

Sorry Jason, that is incredibly frustrating. This happened to my wife's car right out in front of our house last year. They also cut into the crank shaft while getting the CC out, which our mechanic didn't catch because of the way it was rotated when he did the CC replacement. The crank shaft broke about two months later--thankfully while she was in the parking lot at work and not on the freeway.

We no longer park on the street at our house, and installed a motion-activated light and camera on our porch. Tweakers abound.
Driveshaft?

The hot thing around here for a while was irrigation backflow preventers. Now it's cats.

You'd think with the volume of these thefts occurring there has to be some stories of at least one jerk wad having a jack failure and getting stuck under a vehicle, or better yet seriously injured. I'm looking forward to reading one of those stories!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back