Catalytic Converter Theft

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

This is rampant. I didn’t realize how much so until yesterday.

Happened in broad daylight at a park and ride lot.

7C3FA483-9A75-4A4E-A058-0D552847A4E2.jpeg1701CDA0-56CF-429D-9ACF-EB92C975E8EB.jpeg18E085A8-EB73-4E3D-9A9A-A33C7F8FE188.jpeg

Spent a good part of the afternoon on the phone with Allstate and my local shop. OE cats are on nationwide back order per Toyota.

I also ordered from Valhalla’s Shield. If you haven’t considered some sort of theft deterrent, you may want to. Our deductible is zero on this, if yours is 500 or more you are absolutely money ahead.

I was at a Harbor Freight in Brooklyn last summer and saw a dude picking up a battery powered reciprocating saw, extra blades, and a floor jack in one go.

Seemed like a sub-$100 startup cost for that young “entrepreneur.”

Though, I could get to the one on my truck without that jack.

Weird times we live in, eh? Sorry someone got ya, as it seems like they’re a pain to get replaced.

I was at a Harbor Freight in Brooklyn last summer and saw a dude picking up a battery powered reciprocating saw, extra blades, and a floor jack in one go.

Seemed like a sub-$100 startup cost for that young “entrepreneur.”

Though, I could get to the one on my truck without that jack.

Weird times we live in, eh? Sorry someone got ya, as it seems like they’re a pain to get replaced.
Apparently Tundras are a high value target because 1) they have four cats and 2) easy to get under.

I’m unhappy I couldn’t get OE parts. The insurance policy is aftermarket if OE are unavailable. Hopefully there are no longevity issues down the road.

Apparently Tundras are a high value target because 1) they have four cats and 2) easy to get under.

I’m unhappy I couldn’t get OE parts. The insurance policy is aftermarket if OE are unavailable. Hopefully there are no longevity issues down the road.
Heard a lot of loud Prius’ rolling around town that summer. Apparently they’ve got the good good when it comes to the converters as they’re meant to have better emissions and all.

Heard a lot of loud Prius’ rolling around town that summer. Apparently they’ve got the good good when it comes to the converters as they’re meant to have better emissions and all.
Yeah. They must be primo because if you type in catalytic converter shield Toyota, you get a bajillion hits for a Prius models.

I’ve also heard that engraving your VIN into them isn’t a bad idea. On the off chance that an investigator checks out a shop that deals in recycling cats that particular one would have some connection to a vehicle.

What security measures are there?
Cameras. They are reviewing the footage.

According to my insurance agent, parking garages are prime for this nonsense. Less than 60 seconds for a tundra.

four cats?

Has been happening alot in ND and MN the past year or so. Mainly hitting rural properties and auto body shops. Sounds like it's pretty easy for them to make about $500 per cat. Sorry to hear @JLS

Got to fund your drug habit some how....It seems pretty easy to stop if police and politicians wanted to. CC sold either for metal or resold used to people who got theirs stolen. Only allow recyclers to take from approved list (like dealers, auto shops) and not from individuals. Report to police when joe blow shows up with 10 CCs wanting to sell. Copy Drivers license...

What security measures are there?
There was an article on our local news not too long ago, a lady went out to her van & two punks were in the process of removing, when confronted they beat her and then commenced with removal. There was something mentioned about local scrapyards getting involved, not accepting.

That’s ridiculous man! It’s been happening here locally also. Last week One of our company box trucks had the pipe cut but seems they either ran out of battery or their blade bent. My wishful thinking was it slipped and they sawed their hand!! Only got about 1/2 way through the pipe and gave up or someone saw them and they ran. Either way had to get it welded back together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back