PEAX Equipment

Cat at Close Range

bullbugle307

Just got done with a tough two week hunt in Western Wyoming. We hunted our tails off, and had an encounter with a phenomenal bull and a very nice buck. Couldn't capitalize on either encounter, but I'm still very grateful for the hunt.

While we were pumping water we heard a deer start blowing upwind of us. Hoping to capitalize on the possibility it was a big buck, I ditched my pack and ran uphill knowing we probably hadn't been what spooked the deer. As I was scanning for the deer, I heard some rustling in the creek below me. Suddenly, and much to my surprise, a small cat appeared. We had a stare off for what felt like eternity. This was a young cat, and he had clearly been what spooked the deer upwind of us. He must have thought I was another deer and he was hoping to capitalize much as I had been hoping to capitalize. I'll count this as one of the highlights of my hunting career. After the cat took a few steps closer, I decided enough was enough and began shouting. He showed little fear, and eventually I ended the encounter by throwing a rock in his direction. That got him to leisurely slink away. I wonder what was going through his mind. Had he ever seen another human? I'll never know.

Edit: I refer to the cat as he, and clearly I should say "it" as I have no idea if it was a male or a female.
20200921_172302.jpg20200921_172300.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool! I saw a female with two yearlings in a similar encounter while hunting elk in Montana. I’ve been pretty lucky with seeing lions over the years, and I always enjoy it when I do.

Previous to this, I had only seen one other cat. Ironically, that cat, which was much larger, was spotted in the Cheyenne city limits, and now a subdivision has been built on the very ground it walked upon. It's very likely that location is now literally someone's living room or back yard.

That's definitely a cool story. It's crazy even at a young age they have no fear. Haven't ever laid eyes on one in the flesh, but get tons of them on camera here in California. It's one of those things i know they are there, they probably see me, but i have never seen them. Hopefully one day! Thanks for sharing!

Awesome that you got to snap a few pictures. Exhilarating and a little terrifying at the same time I would imagine.

Whoa! Great photos!

Too bad on the buck and bull though its evident, the adventure was well worth your time. Grats!

Didn't have a tag. Ironically enough, I was talking with my wife's uncle the day before about how much I'd like to get a cat someday if I ever ran across one while I was hunting. Funny how things work out sometimes. I should have checked to see if the area I was hunting has met their quota and bought a tag that day apparantly.

Probably better that you didnt buy one that day. If its anything like here, you have to have them checked in by a game warden, and the gamie would not buy your story that day.

You're right, and in that case I wouldn't blame em. What's the odds a guy not running dogs buys a tag one day and kills a cat the next? One in a million?

I shared my story and the photo with a few folks I ran into on the hunt and a local told me with all seriousness I should've shot the cat and bought a tag the next day. He seemed almost pissed that I didn't. I'm guessing he was the same type of person that would be dumb enough to shoot a robodeer on the side of the road.

Each person has to evaluate the threat level. Potential for serious bodily harm or death. From that distance, is a cat in an immediate range to attack? Are there statistics that show cats have attacked humans? (Yes). From pheasant / elk hunting to joggers... self defense is always #1.
Had I been that close to a cat, it would be dead.

Not something I'd desire to do though to each his/her own to evaluate, in that moment.
Some brass huevos to pull a camera for pics. :)

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back