Case Against R3

That’s hilarious, really. I figured I would be questioned as to why, but hey, whatever.

I guess some of us just aren’t as woke as others. Or maybe the victimhood and race cards are losing their luster due to being played over and over and over and over for every single issue under the sun.

Like the article you quoted said, I don’t judge people based on their color which means I am color blind and being color blind is a problem.
Get whatcha pay for.

The HOC response is an opinion in a conversation about hunting, no different than Matt Rinella's. People may disagree with HOCs perspective, but that perspective exists.

I took your comment to be, "I avoided listening to that opinion" not sure what I'm supposed to do with that, you are certainly allowed to disagree, kinda hard to respond to I just didn't like it so I stopped reading.

I mean that's how I felt about Sound and the Fury... certainly not going to try and engage harley about a book I didn't read.

Not even remotely what I was saying. Lesson learned...won’t participate in these threads again.

Was simply pointing out that I suspect the success of friends and family model is highly situational no matter who you are. People in big towns with ample opportunity nearby likely have more hunters in their friends and family group than people living in large urban centers. Substitute whatever town vs urban you want.
Apologies for misinterpreting your statement then. In my defense, there was a bunch of discussion before your post about how the "friends and family model" was too effective at only recruiting white, male hunters with some pushback from others that they recruited plenty of hunters who weren't of that demographic.

Maybe my internet tone is too acerbic for it to be realized, but I was genuinely asking for you to elaborate.

Get whatcha pay for.

The HOC response is an opinion in a conversation about hunting, no different than Matt Rinella's. People may disagree with HOCs perspective, but that perspective exists.

I took your comment to be, "I avoided listening to that opinion" not sure what I'm supposed to do with that, you are certainly allowed to disagree, kinda hard to respond to I just didn't like it so I stopped reading.

I mean that's how I felt about Sound and the Fury... certainly not going to try and engage harley about a book I didn't read.
I get your point 100%.

I didn’t stop reading though. I read it all the way through, twice.

I have no issue with them voicing their opinion. No issue whatsoever.

What I took issue with is it went straight for the “ white privilege talking point

I fully accept that white privilege is a thing. But to listen to some folks tell it everything I have is due to my white privilege. All my experiences are due to my white privilege.

I am sorry I don’t buy it.

Tell my Jewish and Native American ancestors about their privilege. Tell my single mom with two kids who pulled herself and us out of poverty by sheer will about her white privilege. Tell my dirt poor grandparents who plowed a living out of the fields and hunted, fished, and trapped to help them survive how privileged they were to have the pleasure.

I guess what I an getting at is HOC pouncing on Meateater for an opinion that had absolutely nothing about race rubbed me the wrong way.

I am all for finding ways to help make sure that the privilege of enjoying the outdoors in our modern times is extended to as many people as possible, no matter what their ethnicity. I don’t see how that is possible as long as, and I paraphrase from the article, “ but don’t ask a person of color how they see the world, let them tell you if they wish”.

Horse hockey.

I fully accept that white privilege is a thing. But to listen to some folks tell it everything I have is due to my white privilege. All my experiences are due to my white privilege.

This discussion and the reactions to the HOC rebuttal speaks to the primary point of all of the discussions in society today about implicit bias and systemic racism. While some voices in the BIPOC community shout about “white privilege” most are not. Most are saying it is not about what you get for being white, but what they don’t get because of their race or color.

I work for the Realtors® and we have had to look closely, and critically at ourselves, for what real estate policy in this country has done to racial equality. There is clear and convincing evidence that the systems in our country worked for a very long time to drive persons of color to specific areas and neighborhoods and to deny them access to financing, services and property.

When looking at it from a hunting and R3 standpoint then, we have to look at it from the perspective that policies in America for generations have driven persons of color to urban areas, have driven them to rental properties instead of home/property ownership, have driven them to disconnect from the land and outdoors.

Much of the R3 model is not about making hunting accessible to people who want to hunt, or even recruiting people that want to hunt. If someone wants to hunt, then the information and resources for them to do so is out there at easy access. But the reason R3 programs go and setup at farmers markets and festivals in the city is to try to convince someone that has never thought about hunting to consider it as a viable option for food or fun.

The instant reaction of people screaming “they are calling me a racist” is a problem. No one is saying you personally are racist if you don’t take 10 black inner-city kids hunting. They are saying the system and history of our country is stacked so that those 10 black inner-city kids don’t even know they may want to hunt and no one is there to tell them that they could or should. That is the problem.

The 35,649 additional applicants in the Colorado draw this year and it is still open is another reason we need a whole hell of a lot less of the 3R’s

While some voices in the BIPOC community shout about “white privilege” most are not. Most are saying it is not about what you get for being white, but what they don’t get because of their race or color.

I agree with this. This reflects the attitude of the vast majority of the people of color that are a part of my life.

I don’t think any rational person can say with a straight face that there is not a history of POC being denied equal opportunities. I think that it continues today. I also think that we are moving in the right direction all the time toward a more equal society. Do we have a ways to go? Absolutely.

I have and will continue to stand side by side with those people that are fighting for equal opportunity.

Why a person of any ethnicity feels a need to belittle others to move themselves forward I cannot grasp.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back