Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Carrying a Pack

mightyhunter

I am curious as to how many of the forum members wear their freighter packs when day hiking and not just when they are hunting. I have an Eberlestock J-104 that I have had for years. When I start hiking in April and all through the hunting season into December the thing is on my back. I am sure everyone will tell me the Mystery ranch or Badlands is better. That isn't the purpose of my post. The pack usually has a couple of lara or clif bars in it with about 24 ounces of propel water. It also has a map, some matches, a whistle and a small multi-tool in it. I stuff my trekking poles into the rifle scabbard. I could fit all of this into some dinky day pack but I prefer this pack. It makes me sweat like a pig on hot days. It also drys out the skin on my lower back. I think I wear it for a few good reasons. First, I want it to feel like a part of my anatomy. Second, if a griz grabs me from behind, he will have a hell of a time getting through all the metal, padding and fabric to get at my vitals. Third, a daypack gives me sausage fingers after lugging it around all day. Fourth, my wife likes me to fill it full of rocks for her zeroscaped yard. Fifth, it improves my posture which is very important.

Last year this pack hauled out some elk quarters. I even packed out half a mature cow elk in one pack until I fell over and couldn't get back up. It also carried my mule deer buck out 5 miles in one haul. The meat packing has caused me to develope a love-hate relationship with this pack.

Personally I always wear mine as well. Mostly for the same reasons, I like to be used to wearing it, and keep those muscles in shape, as well as the fact it always has my survival gear in it just in case it ever became an issue. When it does come time to pack out an animal, you are used to the pack there, its just a little heavier now.

I wear a Eberlestock J34 as my pack unless it is a very short hike where I don't even take a pack.

I have an old daypack that I haven't used in several years now. Probably full of spiders.

Just purchased a bow/rifle pack from cabelas. Seems to be a decent pack for the $ - fits well and has plenty of compartments. Hope to break it in on Wyoming antelope.

I just purchased my 3rd Badlands pack this spring and I really like them all. I use them year round for spring turkey, backcountry fishing trips, archery season, while I'm guiding and all winter for predators. 2 of them always are ready to go, just depends on what I'm doing (day trips or multi-day trips). I like them to be an extension of my body and to fit well so that is why I wear them 24/7.

I always carry a pack that is able to hold a full load of meat. I don't really go out in the hills expecting not to kill something, so why wouldn't I go prepared?

I am with ya, just like Oak, wear mine everywhere, and always have everything with me. During the elk hunt, am usually the camp mule too. Its good to be prepared.

Leave the big guy at home if I am going out for just half, or a day. I picked up a couple of these for my wife and I. One in green and one in tan couldn't pass them up for the price. They are small enough we take them when we go exploring on the dirt bikes.

Daypack.jpg

Until this year I packed my X2 everywhere. I sold it an got a J107 and plan on taking it everywhere now.

I wear a smaller camelbak pack a lot of the time instead of my big pack. One of the main reasons is my frame pack is horrible about holding heat, so for short summer runs it's nice shedding that heat better.

if I am in the woods there is a mystery ranch crew cab on my back. I love my MRCC and would not trade it for anything, but cabin fever is usually with me and he has a Eberly. J104 and i cannot say a bad thing about that pack and the rifle scabbord is an awesome touch.

I always carry a pack that is able to hold a full load of meat. I don't really go out in the hills expecting not to kill something, so why wouldn't I go prepared?

+1
If you tag out, you are ready to pack out...it sucks having to make another trip, just to get a pack to carry out the quarters. I always carry game bags as well.

Usually have my J104 on me, however now that I have a mystery ranch pack, I will always have it with me. Like already said, I planning on bringing meat out with me anytime i'm hunting.

CABugle

I always have mine, including for day hikes. Only exception is antelope hunting, I use the daypack lid for the CC instead of the actual CC. Just easier to be strealthy and crawl in the dirt such as a lope hunt requires. And lope country is not usually as big of a deal to have to go back to the truck to get the bigger pack for packing out.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back