Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Caribou Game Bags - Sticking to Meat?

Sorry OP for massive side track into the world of EURO mounts lol
No worries. That is why I like this site so much. If you want to learn, people are always willing he help out. Plus you usually get to learn a few additional things along the way.

Superoxyl is 33% Hydrogen peroxide, used by dentists to internally bleach discolored root canal treated teeth. A little bit of that on your skin starts to noticeably burn in about 90 seconds, and will leave a patch of dead white skin wherever it was allowed to remain beyond that 90 second time limit. When it is used in the mouth, we are super careful to make sure of preventing run off onto gums, tongue, cheek, etc.

Because it is labeled for dental use, a small bottle costs a bazillion dollars, so I stick to Dawn/borax heated, hose wash, then Dawn/Oxiclean unheated for final degrease/whiten, often not needing a trip to the beauty salon.

PS: a certain (former) OYOA/FreshTracks field producer and hound hunter extraordinaire should contact me about a free tooth bleaching......problem being that I'm in Kansas.

Honestly I've applied 40 vol without gloves when I ran out of gloves, got it all over my hands, no ill effects... I think the "power of hydrogen peroxide" is massively over blown. I've only found it to be effective if left to work for extend periods of time. I bet if you got the pool 27% stuff on your hands and clothes you would be fine as long as you washed them off within 20min or so... IME the brown bottle store stuff is about as useful for taxidermy as distilled water.

Sorry OP for massive side track into the world of EURO mounts lol

@ImBillT I agree that the power is the same whether in a liquid or creme but the creme adheres better to the bone, even better with the paper mache, essentially more peroxide is in contact with the bone for longer, the process if further prolonged with the plastic wrap as this reduces/eliminates evaporation. If you just gooped it on and walked away, the peroxide would puddle and/or dry off and you wouldn't' get as good of a result. Obviously dunking the skull bucket of peroxide would be the best in terms of uniformity, but then you still have to deal with evaporation + it's wasteful as you have to use so much to fill a bucket. I've heard that bringing the 27% stuff to a boil and then dropping in the head will get you the same result as I get but in minutes rather than weeks. It's on my life of things to try.

As far a laundry, ammonia, acetone, bleach, vinegar and oxiclean are your best bets depending on the stain... the brown bottle peroxide doesn't really do anything.

View attachment 116594View attachment 116595View attachment 116598

I thought you were doing that to your game bags. Lol. I’m sure using the creme is fine on a euro. I do boil it. I’ve dumped a gallon of 40 vol into the pot, and I’ve dumped 16qts of brown bottle into the pot when Salley’s wasn’t open and I didn’t wanna wait. The results were the same. I have pretty limited time. It’s easy to boil it in H2O2 for 20-30 minutes spray it off, and dunk it in a bucket of clean water for a while then pull it out to dry. Then I can mess with whatever else it needs days, weeks or months later. The problem with boiling is that it’s tough not to get any on the lower parts of the antlers. To me it’s worth it, because if I don’t get the whole fall’s skulls bleached at once, then they may sit till next season, and then it’s a lot harder. Doing it the way you’re doing it is much better for detail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back