Career Advice

The only thing worst than bad survey data/datums are architects, with everything drawn at 0,0,0 or some other totally irrelevant starting point... which can only be out done by drawing multiple buildings in a row then mview-ed into the "correct" orientation and location.
Yeah I feel like I spend my life geo-rectifying padsites from aerial imagery... so much for "survey" accurate...

Typical engineers, griping about the survey. Of course there is the surveyor griping about the ridiculous amount of data the engineer wants. I learned early on that if the site was particularly nasty, to go to the engineer and convince him or her that they need to get out of the office, away from that stinken computer, put on a pair of boots, and get some fresh air by coming out and helping with the survey. It was amazing how as the sun and the temperature rose the size of the site and the amount of data needed would shrink.

I work in land conservation for a state agency and love it. I have a background in forestry, and a law degree so it fits quite well. I spent many years working construction and as a hunting guide, which I also loved, but with a young family I like the stability and being home. Recently I’ve been working with appraisals and taking some appraisal classes. If I were you i would absolutely look into appraisal work. It’s varied, interesting, professionally challenging, and certainly lucrative enough. There’s a fair amount of unstructured time and a fair amount of time in the field. There are a wide variety of paths you could choose and from what I’ve seen there is plenty of demand. Just another idea.

This portion right here speaks volumes to me personally. I work at a mid sized engineering firm (300 people) and find motivating to make someone else more money difficult... We're an esop now, which in theory should make it easier to motivate since I get a cut of the pie now, but out of the like ten million we had in profit I ended up with like $250 in my esop account, so it did little for motivation....

Your second statement about working long hours is my biggest fear with my current company. They have a plan to basically increase your hours yearly to make the company more money. I don't mind the 42 hour weeks, but I refuse to work 50 hours all the time. The other kicker is anyone senior at my Company can't take time off because they feel they are too important or vital to the operation to be away...

Talking with the older engineers at my Company said that when we were a small firm things were a lot different. I wonder if your situation wouldn't be improved by working for a small firm, like ten people. One of the tech's I work with said when he worked with a company that was like twenty people they cared more, it was more of a family event, one year the company made good profit and his bonus was 33% of his salary!

If I were you, I'd look into what work might be like at a smaller firm.

Sorry my post got a little lengthy and what not
You work I used to work don’t you?

Last edited:
Some of the comments on here perfectly sum up surveying/engineering, and of course, dealing with architects.

You’re expecting people that think that everything belongs on Layer0 to put a drawing on a geodetic projection!?!? Blasphemy
Then you’ll trust them to pick survey feet or international feet. At least thats 50/50.

If you are not licensed, get your license. (IMHO degrees mean nothing to a firm. Proessional Licenses do)

After that you can find a firm that will let you work from home 8 hours a day and make a very comfortable living.

Most people would dream to have that.

You will find out that you'll need the money one day. Save every extra penny. Make as much as you can while you can.

As someone who has worked many of the jobs that are fighting above, I'm enjoying this thread immensely.

But just so we can set the record straight-

-Surveyors smoke too much pot, eat too many burritos, and can't wait to tell you about their band.
-Engineers went straight from home, to college, to making 60k a year by the time they're 24 without ever getting life experiences, get way too much satisfaction debating how to invest their 401(k), and are very poor tippers.
-GIS analysts spend all their free time looking at historical images and watching Ken Burns films.
-Drafters are intelligent, handsome, and hold the whole operation together while keeping everyone loose by making fun of engineers.

However, there's no reason all the above can't get along as long as they all agree landscape architects are the scum of the earth.

As someone who has worked many of the jobs that are fighting above, I'm enjoying this thread immensely.

-Surveyors smoke too much pot, eat too many burritos, and can't wait to tell you about their band.
-Engineers went straight from home, to college, to making 60k a year by the time they're 24 without ever getting life experiences, get way too much satisfaction debating how to invest their 401(k), and are very poor tippers.
-GIS analysts spend all their free time looking at historical images and watching Ken Burns films.
-Drafters are intelligent, handsome, and hold the whole operation together while keeping everyone loose by making fun of engineers.

However, there's no reason all the above can't get along as long as they all agree landscape architects are the scum of the earth.

Hilarious and accurate!!

Last edited:
Some of the comments on here perfectly sum up surveying/engineering, and of course, dealing with architects.

You’re expecting people that think that everything belongs on Layer0 to put a drawing on a geodetic projection!?!? Blasphemy
Then you’ll trust them to pick survey feet or international feet. At least thats 50/50.
Really want to piss someone off? Pick metric.

I laughed way too hard at this!

And I wonder which one Randy is.... hmmm

My Grandpa, a career superintendent, would often say young engineers had been educated far beyond their ability to learn.

holy hell I laughed too damn hard! It's so true! If it wasn't for the fun had with the drafters in our office I'd lose my mind hahahahaha buncha older gents that make fun of us younger engineers and we make fun of them looking up at their computer to see through their bifocals haha! :p:eek:

I feel your pain, I love to be out west and one day will live there. I look online for jobs in different areas, and look at the housing markets vs average salary. Its really hard for me to relocate now, I live in a very affordable area with good paying jobs. Simular engineering jobs I have found pay equal or usually less then what I make now, but housing is 50-60% higher then here. For now I will enjoy lower cost of living and be able to travel more.

That's one thing I would take into account if I was you. Good job to be able to afford your travels. As you add kids expendable income will be less, also a good job with good vacation options.

Find a job in government facilities management in the preference order of federal, local, state. Decent pay, but very consistent hours and generous leave policies with few questions asked so you can make time to get out in the field on your terms.

Good luck out there and read the damn geotech report. Had to tease a little there after the last couple of days here. If you go oystering in Puget sound it is safer to cook them, that got a little ugly for this guy who knows nothing about the ocean. This engineer bashing looks like to much fun to skip out on. I didn't see anyone mention the inspectors. That must mean we are the best. I am guessing its the GIS guys that gives the drafter the most obscure coordinate system they can find so then we get to convert everything to something useful. I love boiler plate specifications, specifications that don't even come close to matching the drawings, and engineers, architects, and superintendents that don't even bother to skim the geotech report.

Let's just clear this up because there seems to be confusion.

There are only 7 acceptable options.

GCS
NAD27
NAD 83
WGS 1984

PCS
NAD 27 - State plane
NAD 83 - State Plane
UTM 27 - Your Zone
UTM 83 - Your Zone

--
Cheat sheet

NAD 1927 - Your company has to reconcile with old data, lease, deeds, etc
NAD 1983- Your company is doing new builds
WGS 1984 - Your company has a webmap, and this will be posted on said map.

Back