Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Can't get there from here

Man, I wish I was a rugged individualist living out in the boonies so that I could bitch about the government not dropping everything and putting me on the top of their priority list, just because I want my Amazon Package to get here on time. Have your lawyer draw up some papers saying you will make a temporary fix and accept any and all liability and legal fees resulting from that fix. Maybe they will let you fix it. Or move to town, you will be a lot higher on the priority list there.

Man, I wish I was a rugged individualist living out in the boonies so that I could bitch about the government not dropping everything and putting me on the top of their priority list, just because I want my Amazon Package to get here on time. Have your lawyer draw up some papers saying you will make a temporary fix and accept any and all liability and legal fees resulting from that fix. Maybe they will let you fix it. Or move to town, you will be a lot higher on the priority list there.
Sure glad I don't have any neighbors. BTW, we have no emergency services from December to April but we pay taxes. There's no law enforcement but we pay taxes. The roads are low priority for any kind of maintenance, forget about repairs, but we pay taxes. They make up unreasonable requirements to just exist here but we pay taxes. If you think it's unreasonable to expect to get the same services the flatlanders get then I don't know what to say.

Sorry for being snarky but, I have done hundreds of engineering topo surveys of washouts and slides on forest service roads, and I wish I had a dollar for every property owner that lived above those slides, that would stand there and bitch at me about how horribly the government was treating them by not having that slide fixed immediately so as not to inconvenience them. Unfortunately for you, everyone else in your county pays taxes too so the priority is always going to be with the most taxpayers. Two roads need fixed, one serves 5000 people the other 200 people. The 5000 are always going to be first. Government serves the masses, not the individual. Just a price of living away from the crowd. Almost all government agencies that maintain roads have emergency contracts in place so that all it takes is a phone call to get crews assigned to fix roads in an emergency. But still it is probably only two or three companies and is subject to the willingness and ability of those companies get those repairs done. I am sure you know that all those companies will already have all their equipment and crews out on other jobs. So, it takes time. I am sure that in a few weeks you will have a temporary fix. Again, it's just a cost for the privilege of living away from the masses.

Yep, the snarky part didn't sit well, apologies accepted.
We are in the furthest outlying part of the county. We also have a full time designated road crew that was supposed to be local residents for a job requirement. That went by the wayside. The county spent 5m a few years ago to accommodate the crew and equipment. A special tax was created for that . Now the crew is dispatched from a central yard 75 miles away. The one local guy quit because he then had to commute 150 miles a day to work in the areas he lives in. Even though this area has a designated crew, and a new state of the art facility, they are very rarely here. There's a lot to this other than being on the end of a wet rope.

You’d think the morons would dump some rip rap in there top it with some base and get it passable for folks. Then when there’s time schedule a permanent repair.
One would have to think.
One of our parks had the road in wash out and it took a year to get the permits to talk about the fix on a steelhead stream.
The park was closed 3 years. LOL

Last edited:
We got 2"+ in 8 hours. 6" in 3 days. Everyone got hit hard with lots of damage to private roads. Lots of the big dead burned trees falling. At least I have cleared enough to get to the county road. A few people are stranded behind washouts and downed trees. The immediate emergencies are taken care of. We'll start on the less immediate blockages tomorrow.

You’d think the morons would dump some rip rap in there top it with some base and get it passable for folks. Then when there’s time schedule a permanent repair.
Gotta check the riprap for lead content. That could take a while. In the meantime, the state advises traveling with a parachute and life jacket.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back