Tenzing TZ4000
$170.99 Amazon prime
Option number 2.
Alps outdoorz traverse EPS
$119.41
Option number 3.
Badlands clutch
$251
They all are similar cu in (3-4000)meat hauler area hydration compatible.
Need something to take the family of 4 on backpack tenting weekends to get more familiar with hiking to campsites over a weekend and eventually 3-7 day western hunting trips.
Any other options or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you're looking for something big I have really loved my Kelty RedCloud 110. It's in the sameprice range as the ones you have listed but it doesn't have any sort of meat hauler option. I just put my quarters in a trash compactor bag once they're cooled and haven't gotten any blood in my pack. Just another option to consider.

If you are thinking this will be a 90% hiking/ 10% backpack hunting pack and are a bit cost conscious then I would look at the Kelty mentioned above or a Osprey pack. These packs will give you a much better size to weight ratio than the low end hunting packs. You can definitely pack out meat in these packs, and will arguably be more comfortable doing so than with a crappy hunting pack with a load shelf.

If $$ isn't an issue and/or you think you will be doing quite a bit of backpack hunting then go straight to the high end hunting packs; Group A. Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch Group B. Exo, Seak outside, Kuiu. Any pack by these manufactures are going to be great, personally I think the design, materials, and customer service are better in group A than group B.

As far as size you want an >85L or 5000 cubic inches for a multi-day pack, especially if you have older or more middle of the road camping equipment that doesn't compress or fold up as well... or if you have kids and have to carry some of there stuff. Most packs these days cinch down so in my mind their really isn't a whole lot of benefit of a 3500 cubic inch over a 5200 cubic inch pack.

Like wllm1313 said, if you think you're going to be using it pretty seriously, I'd skip directly to a high end hunting pack. They are pricey but a good backpack is as important as good boots and binos. I went through a few decent packs before buying a Mystery Ranch Metcalf last year and it made a world of difference. It's perfect for being able to haul all your gear in and then day hunting from a backpack camp. I have friends that use Osprey packs and they're certainly nice. They don't necessarily have the load capability, but they're comfortable, carry well and more inexpensive.

Mystery Ranch S16 EX Glacier 70L Backpack (click this link)
Closeouts. Mystery Ranch's S16 EX Glacier backpack is a spacious and comfortable pack for week-long excursions, offering a comfortable suspension system with an adjustable yoke, ample padding through the back and hips, and a multi-compartment design for all your gear.
  • Mountain Frame suspension system with height-adjustable Futura Yoke
  • Top-loading design
  • Side zip for easy access to main compartment
  • Two vertical torpedo pockets for external access
  • Speedzip compartment on bottom for easy access to sleeping bag
  • Ice axe/trekking pole loops an daisy chains
  • Side compression straps
  • Made of highly durable 500 denier Cordura® nylon with smooth YKK® zippers
  • Soft, padded hip strap with quick-release buckle
let's save you some money first and get that tenting experience.
if you like this MR pack, then MR Hunting line maybe for you.

Good luck and yes, take that family outside :cool:

I bought a Big Kelty 3400 at Sportsmans on sale for $99,Hydration and internal frame.
Best buy I ever made!:cool:

Best advice I can give...
Get off the gear upgrade treadmill. Here’s how it goes: buy the cheap tenzing use it for a couple seasons, hate it, sell it for a song, upgrade to a 2nd tier pack. Use it for two seasons, hate it, sell it for a song.
Finally buy a high end pack (say, $6-800). Prior to that point, you will have spent that amount at least 1x but have no great pack to show for it.
Best advice: buy a used high end pack (kifaru, Sg, MR, Exo). Live with it for 5 years. Move on.

Get off the gear upgrade treadmill. Here’s how it goes: buy the cheap tenzing use it for a couple seasons, hate it, sell it for a song, upgrade to a 2nd tier pack. Use it for two seasons, hate it, sell it for a song.
Finally buy a high end pack (say, $6-800). Prior to that point, you will have spent that amount at least 1x but have no great pack to show for it.
Best advice: buy a used high end pack (kifaru, Sg, MR, Exo). Live with it for 5 years. Move on.

I'm really not sure that I agree with this logic in this instance, although it's the common mindset of most people on here. My reasoning is that many of the higher end packs (even used) cost much more than something entry level. It seems like this guy is new to backpacking in general, so I would recommend that he try it out first and upgrade if he likes it.

This also depends on the OP's mindset. If money isn't as big of a deal, then yeah, buy high end. If not, you'll be able to get by just fine with many of the backpacking options suggested above.

Option number 1.
Tenzing TZ4000
$170.99 Amazon prime
Option number 2.
Alps outdoorz traverse EPS
$119.41
Option number 3.
Badlands clutch
$251
They all are similar cu in (3-4000)meat hauler area hydration compatible.
Need something to take the family of 4 on backpack tenting weekends to get more familiar with hiking to campsites over a weekend and eventually 3-7 day western hunting trips.
Any other options or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
If you decide to go with the Badlands, sign up for their email club. When I first joined their email club, I got a 35% off coupon and got a 2200 for $181. NOt sure if they still have the deal but if they do, it makes a difference.

I'm really not sure that I agree with this logic in this instance, although it's the common mindset of most people on here. My reasoning is that many of the higher end packs (even used) cost much more than something entry level. It seems like this guy is new to backpacking in general, so I would recommend that he try it out first and upgrade if he likes it.

This also depends on the OP's mindset. If money isn't as big of a deal, then yeah, buy high end. If not, you'll be able to get by just fine with many of the backpacking options suggested above.
100% on not dropping a ton of money if you are just getting into stuff...but...

At the end of the day I just don't like buying crappy stuff. Tenzing and badlands just make junk. My mom still has a Dana Designs (precursor to Mystery Ranch) pack from 1989 that still gets some use.

If I was just trying to get my feet wet I would just get a great pack used, and then upgrade latter if I wanted something better.

Your $160 is better spent on this than on a some piece of garbage.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mystery-Ra...588864?hash=item2ce716c000:g:XuQAAOSwhUpciEW1

At the end of the day I just don't like buying crappy stuff. Tenzing and badlands just make junk. My mom still has a Dana Designs (precursor to Mystery Ranch) pack from 1989 that still gets some use.

If I was just trying to get my feet wet I would just get a great pack used, and then upgrade latter if I wanted something better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mystery-Ra...588864?hash=item2ce716c000:g:XuQAAOSwhUpciEW1

A brand new pack might look pretty out of the package but in a year or two after you haul some meat, it will look like the pack above and not perform nearly as well. Wllm1313's recommendation is a good one.

Oh, I don't disagree! I should have clarified that you're better off buying a new higher end backpacking style pack than a lower end hunting pack for the same price.

I don't think I would call it junk. I started out with a badlands years ago and it actually did a decent job. It also depends on the type of hunting. Day hikes with one or two trips to pack a deer? No problem. 7-day wilderness hunt and hauling a boned-out elk? Just don't do it.

I eventually switched to an EXO 5500 and love it. The difference is obvious, but so is the cost.

I agree with this for all types of gear. Spent too much time and money going through constant upgrades.

I don't think I would call it junk. I started out with a badlands years ago and it actually did a decent job. It also depends on the type of hunting. Day hikes with one or two trips to pack a deer? No problem. 7-day wilderness hunt and hauling a boned-out elk? Just don't do it.

I eventually switched to an EXO 5500 and love it. The difference is obvious, but so is the cost.

Meh, my Badlands ended up going back every year until the third year I got tired of paying shipping and sold it.

I’d buy this long before a Badlands

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Myster...m=163576770845&_trksid=p2349624.c100930.m5375

Back