Canoe

Southern Elk

I'm wanting to upgrade canoes. Right now I have a cheap one that I bought off craigslist, but I don't trust it on the rivers. We have used it on mountain lakes. I'm wanting to take multi day trips to places like the Missouri River Breaks. What would you recommend? I've been looking at the Old Town Saranac at Sportsmans Warehouse. Looks like the make it in a 14' and 16' version. I'm guessing the 16' would be better? It would likely be me and my son plus all of the gear that we need for a few days. Maybe an extra cooler of we did a hunting trip.

10ft, holds way more than a 16ft canoe because of the cargo cargo fly. Sits higher in the water which makes it amazing at navigating deadfall and gravel bars, also way less tippy. All your gear is inside the tubes so it's a lot more likely to stay dry versus a canoe.

Also super light, one person can carry it through the woods on a portage with a beer in their hand, (tested).

Downsides, not great if you want to transport a bunch of tradition coolers. ~ Will fit 2 65s without the floor or the front seat in.

Does not track like a heavy laden tradition canoe so I imagine a stiff up river wind would be a PITA.

I have a 14 ft canoe, and really like canoes as well, but I think the forager and the oryx are something to consider.

1621354550657.png

Hard to see but with two coolers there is enough foot room for the person in the back and in the front.

The tubes are huge you could easily fit a 6 person tent, 2 frame packs, sleeping bags, pads, coleman stove fuel, etc etc.
91A1E396-D38B-403A-85AA-975909A154BC.jpeg

Last edited:
I swore off all social media two months ago (ish), though like a bad habit I can't kick, I've lurked a bit from time to time without logging in. But Gawddamnit, I can't stand for that east coast elitist @wllm1313 trying to talk someone out of a canoe.

@Southern Elk drive yourself over to Spo-Comtpon and get yourself something that'll last a life time. https://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/d/deer-park-classic-canoe/7317809696.html

Canoes have been successfully doing exactly what you're looking to, for 100s of years. That chincy little raft may not last a couple of decades of use. Plus you could put 300 lbs of gear in that canoe and still fit an entire elk in there.

I swore off all social media two months ago (ish), though like a bad habit I can't kick, I've lurked a bit from time to time without logging in. But Gawddamnit, I can't stand for that east coast elitist @wllm1313 trying to talk someone out of a canoe.

@Southern Elk drive yourself over to Spo-Comtpon and get yourself something that'll last a life time. https://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/d/deer-park-classic-canoe/7317809696.html

Canoes have been successfully doing exactly what you're looking to, for 100s of years. That chincy little raft may not last a couple of decades of use. Plus you could put 300 lbs of gear in that canoe and still fit an entire elk in there.
94C0ACC3-829A-4AB3-9D61-F0597DB17466.gif

Nice setup. I think a canoe could move faster in slow water.
A canoe is absolutely faster.

I missed you.

View attachment 183598
SMH it's like I don't have 10k posts sometimes...

@Southern Elk are you generally speaking thinking of use of this boat on the Missouri, what specifically don't you trust about your current boat?
Its just an old beat up boat that I gave $100 for. Seems really thin walled. I bought it as a cheap way to figure out if we wanted to do more canoeing. I would just feel more comfortable in a nicer rig for longer trips.

We-no-nah Spirit 11
I sold our 16' a few years back. We did overnight trips on rivers/lakes. Really miss that canoe.
The hull was tuff weave with aluminum trim. Not fancy but bomber.
Don't even know if they still make it but worth a look.
Edit: 17' canoe

Last edited:
You said it will be 2 people and some gear...do you anticipate dealing with anything in terms of whitewater beyond some riffles?

I own a 1942 canvas Old Town Canoe, a 16' Nova Craft Moisie, and a 17' Wenonah Rendezvous. The Old Town is best for looking at, the Moise has high rocker and is meant for moderate whitewater tripping, and the Rendezvous is meant for taking an absolute beating and carrying massive amounts of gear.

Moisie - high rocker (good for turning on a dime in swift rocker, and dealing with larger waves....but terrible if it is lightly loaded and there is strong wind), patented "Tuff Stuff" composite material that can take a beating, but it can scratch badly if you anticipate doing fall/winter low water trips in rocky areas, fairly light (58 lbs if I remember correctly)

Rendezvous - low rocker (basically moderately functional on lakes and moving water, but not great at either), Royalex (very durable but heavy (68 lbs or so), HUGE carrying capacity (a couple years ago my dad and I paddled the Hayes River from Lake Winnipeg to Hudson Bay in 25 days....that's a shitload of gear and abuse....and it handled it admirably)

It comes down to a venn diagram between 1) what type of water (rapids, low water, swift water, lakes, etc) you anticipate using it on, 2) what kind of abuse you are going to put it through (pack rafts are wonderful....but they cannot deal with being dragged through low water rapids/portages...in the same vein, kevlar canoes are unbelievably light and fast, but they are not as durable as TuffStuff or Royalex, which are far heavier), 3) cost/availability in your area, and 4) weight capacity

Last thought...aluminum is loud as shit, and I hate it. That's a personal preference, and I know it is cheap, as I used to have a 16' Grumman aluminum canoe that I got for $100...but it would NOT have been the best choice for sneaky low water hunting trips.DSC_0572.JPGDSC_0525.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back