Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Canoe

I’ve not much help, but I’ve always liked the ones with a flat spot in the stern for a little 3hp outboard. Sometimes it’s nice not to paddle.
The flat spot is not good for river trips if you aren't using the motor.

From experience, in the upper missouri breaks.

Attachments

• 20191014_143629.jpg
    20191014_143629.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 32
I've got a Coleman Scanoe as well. Its at least 16ft long, and that thing is stable! I can stand up and paddle it solo while trying to look over the river bank for game. Never once felt tippy. Its been a great canoe for Ducks and deer.

I am currently working on building an armada of old canoes. Aluminum, fiberglass, kevlar (did you know they were making kevlar boat in the 70s?!), just not plastic! There is simply nothing better. They're cheap, exceptionally effective, easy to transport, suitable for almost any water (we did some class 2 3/4 recently and only had to empty the boat 4 times!). And might make a run at some big III this weekend. Easily fixed or scrapped. and you don't have to sit on the damn floor and paddle like that silly little packraft or a kayak.

The perfect combo is 17', fiberglass, wood gunnels, 20+ yrs old, <$800 off CL.

I have been using a the same Grumman for over 45 years. It was originally my grandfathers. 17 feet long, indestructible and light enough for me to throw it over my head easily on put it on top of my truck. Great boats, can haul plenty of gear and great to fish from. Highly recommended, if you can find one. Canoes can be had cheap it seems today because everyone wants those crappy plastic kayaks.

I used a Grummon 14' for many years,even in the ocean fishing.

Had a Wenonah Fisherman 13" for 12 yrs & wish I still had it. Loved to fish & hunt from that fat little canoe. Very ez to portage too. Held a buck & camp ez. Good lake canoe too. Could stand & fish from it.

Mad River Explorer. Did a classic trip on the Smith when the newspaper said, "Canoeists Should Not Attempt the Smith" (which we didn't know when we put in), although I do admit it was snowing at the time, and we should have cancelled, but where's the fun in that?

I am currently working on building an armada of old canoes. Aluminum, fiberglass, kevlar (did you know they were making kevlar boat in the 70s?!), just not Easily fixed or scrapped. and you don't have to sit on the damn floor and paddle like that silly little packraft or a kayak.
Forager is self-bailing.

And who is sitting on the floor?

1621379503366.png

I have an old Grumman aluminum canoe. Its been straightened and welded after being wrapped around a tree. It weighs 84 lbs and it’s ugly. But so am I, so i like it. I would like to have a fancy lightweight canoe, but Kevlar doesn’t have much use in our local rivers. Get a canoe with a keel, the lightweight alumacrafts are indestructible and usually only weight around 60 lbs.
I worked in the boundary waters for a summer and 1 group wanted 3 Kevlar and 1 aluminum canoe. Didn’t ask why but thought it was weird. When they got back after a week the aluminum canoe was black from fire soot. They said they filled it water and would put over the fire for a hot tub.

Boys Boys....they both have their place in the water world. If I'm going down the middle fork on a deer hunt I'm borrowing @wllm1313 forager. If I'm leisurely floating the snake camping and fishing I'm taking the coleman.

Seriously tho that forager looks pretty rad...I might need one of them.
Probably should add a raft and a dory to round out the armada ;)

We have a river hawk. Thing is a beast. Incredibly stable. Taken it down rivers, white caps in the lake and even took it to the coast to fish the creeks. Has dry storage that comes standard. Not sure you can find em out your way but worth a look.

The west was found, explored, and exploited via canoes. From the Columbia to the Lochsa.

An NSR 14' self bailer with an oar frame can handle the rest.

Forager is self-bailing.

And who is sitting on the floor?

View attachment 183618
Sure looks like canoe or raft waters...

If you're not having to pack it on your back I don't see a need for packraft

Last edited:
I am afraid of tippy, so I add a SOAR Explorer inflatable canoe (16’) to my cart every winter when they are on sale. Unfortunately, I have never completed the purchase. Maybe this year.

For the ultimate in wet rear and no room (but super light), @wllm1313 should upgrade to a Klymit Dinghy.

5EC792F1-717F-4EBA-A792-BAD61C302870.jpeg

The west was found, explored, and exploited via canoes. From the Columbia to the Lochsa.

An NSR 14' self bailer with an oar frame can handle the rest.

Sure looks like canoe or raft waters...

If you're not having to pack it on your back I don't see a need for packraft
Listen we all know Batman would win in a fight…. yeah Superman, blah blah blah

I would definitely go with something like 16' or 17' if you want two people and a bunch of gear. I think you're on the right track in terms of models. If you anticipate a lot of time on rivers, get something that can take a few knocks and that does not have a keel. (I'm a big fan of grunman aluminums, but a keel is a pain in the ass on a river with current). I end up carrying my canoes a fair bit, so I also prefer one that doesn't weight a ton and has pads for my shoulders attached to the thwart.

Back