Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Canoe

we do the same thing ( different modes of transportation for different reasons ). As mentioned earlier we also use kayaks. If you dont use water transportation vessels as much as we do, pick the main reason you want it and buy a canoe that fits that application. ps. you probably dont have to worry about ice damage, but if you do, take that into consideration also
I've never had any problems with the pirogues in terms of ice damage leaving them out at duck camp over winter.
But the gunwales on the cedar strip canoe have cracked due to expansion from temperatures ranging from -40 to + 90F
and pretty heavy snow loads, so occasionally I have to bring a cedar strip back and replace gunwales after sitting in duck camp for a few years.

One of my hunting partner used this freighter canoe to motor the 60 miles into camp.
Freighter.jpg

I have a 17’ novacraft, great boat. Get a boat designed for your intended use and the type of water body you’ll be on.

Well, I'll just throw my $.02 in. I have an Old Town Guide 16.6'. It's certainly big enough for hunting or fishing trips with two people or two adults and a smaller child. It seems tippy, but is stable enough for a dog to make retrieves out of it. But you have to be able to lift the dog back in of course.

It's something of a barge on large lakes but handles well on rivers and is pretty fast to boot. It weights 75# so that is something to consider for portages and lifting it up on top of the truck.

P1000745.JPG

17 ft Coleman Canoe can haul as much gear as you could possibly use and is nearly indestructible. Late one July day while setting up tent on the Wild and Scenic Missouri stretch, with about thirty-five miles to paddle to take-out at Fred Robinson Bridge, a big wind blew down the river with strong gusts. That somewhat heavy canoe was lifted ten feet in the air over my head as I ran to secure it. It was flying above me like a kite, then bounced end over end into the river. I literally ran out of my shoes to catch it. It had a dent in the bow which I banged out with a log. The gunnels were bent, forcing the boat down the river in a banana shaped wake. Any other canoe would have been in pieces. It sat in the sun later that summer to regain shape and the aluminum gunnels were replaced. It still works great to this day.

View attachment 184077

17 ft Coleman Canoe can haul as much gear as you could possibly use and is nearly indestructible. Late one July day while setting up tent on the Wild and Scenic Missouri stretch, with about thirty-five miles to paddle to take-out at Fred Robinson Bridge, a big wind blew down the river with strong gusts. That somewhat heavy canoe was lifted ten feet in the air over my head as I ran to secure it. It was flying above me like a kite, then bounced end over end into the river. I literally ran out of my shoes to catch it. It had a dent in the bow which I banged out with a log. The gunnels were bent, forcing the boat down the river in a banana shaped wake. Any other canoe would have been in pieces. It sat in the sun later that summer to regain shape and the aluminum gunnels were replaced. It still works great to this day.
I also have a red 17ft Coleman. The only problem I have is trying to camo it up for duck hunting was a failure...even the paint engineered for plastics did not adhere to it.

Very interesting - I'm looking to get a raft to do some float hunting - i need the raft cause a moose is alot of weight to pack out. I want a Canoe though, there is alot of nastalgia in a canoe and feels like its the right way to do it. But for our rivers, for the weight capacity, etc I'll be looking at Rafts.
Pristine Ventures, Chugach Mountain Sports are probably my top two currently.
I’ve spent a lot of time in Alaska on float hunts for moose and there are plenty of situations where a canoe would be better then a raft. The only logical thing to do if you hunt Alaska is to buy a canoe, a 14’ raft, a 18’ cataraft, a 14’ flat boat with a mud motor, a 18’-20 jet boat, a 30’ boat for pws, and if your wife will let you splurge for an airboat too! 😂

I’ve spent a lot of time in Alaska on float hunts for moose and there are plenty of situations where a canoe would be better then a raft. The only logical thing to do if you hunt Alaska is to buy a canoe, a 14’ raft, a 18’ cataraft, a 14’ flat boat with a mud motor, a 18’-20 jet boat, a 30’ boat for pws, and if your wife will let you splurge for an airboat too! 😂
2 jet sleds inside a canoe inside a river boat.
Scout_canoe.JPG

I forgot about this canoe I saw a few years ago. I wish I could have seen it up close. I had to turn around get a picture of it. An aluminum canoe with a small airboat fan on the back. I’m still jealous to this day.

1621946800597.jpeg

AINT THIS THE TRUTH!!! haha.

I sold my older smaller ATV to get into our new place with the intention of buying a new one. Which are currently impossible to find. So now I'm just hiking everywhere. Its cheaper to get a new raft then a new ATV right now.

AINT THIS THE TRUTH!!! haha.

I sold my older smaller ATV to get into our new place with the intention of buying a new one. Which are currently impossible to find. So now I'm just hiking everywhere. Its cheaper to get a new raft then a new ATV right now.
Since you are looking to get an ATV to that will add another boat to your list of needs to hunt AK successfully. You will need to have a landing craft to haul your ATV up river or through PWS and unload anywhere you desire!

Coleman scanoe 16’ excellent canoe suggest a good 5hp short shaft they can haul your gear and deer.

Attachments

• 61969296-5D55-4CC2-AABA-7580B1CBC1FA.jpeg
    61969296-5D55-4CC2-AABA-7580B1CBC1FA.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back