Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Canada . . . or Texas?

Spitz

Check this out. You can buy the trophy according to the size of the antlers and ensure an SCI book animal. It all depends on how much you want to fork out.

You even get a guide, but his job is to walk through the herd with corn in his hand, get the right animal depending on how much you pay, then he slips a lead rope around the neck and walks it into the woods where you get to use your choice of weapon to put 'em down.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=250111732418&Category=14110

"This is not a physically challenging hunt"

"You should allow at least two days for your hunt" - A whole 2 days!

This s#it just sickens me.

How does the price compare to one of those nice private guaranteed Montana tags with a hunt at a nice ranch there?

Tom,
Do you see any difference between hunting a ranch vs. hunting a high fenced enclosure for tame elk?

Nemont

Nemont, maybe, maybe not, it depends on the two specific places.

How does the price compare, did you miss that?

How does the tameness of the elk on the nice low pressure private ranch compare to those at the other place being chased around all the time?

I answered yours, maybe you'll answer one of mine.

Check this out. You can buy the trophy according to the size of the antlers and ensure an SCI book animal. It all depends on how much you want to fork out.

You even get a guide, but his job is to walk through the herd with corn in his hand, get the right animal depending on how much you pay, then he slips a lead rope around the neck and walks it into the woods where you get to use your choice of weapon to put 'em down.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=250111732418&Category=14110

Bullshit hunt Spitz..but why sound like an ideologue of 280?:confused:

Tom,

The price of the tag is fairly comparable. As you probably know I don't like high fence shooting operations. They are the antithesis of what hunting should be. Whether or not a large ranch in Montana has limited pressure the elk are still wild. They don't come running when their owner rattle the oat bucket.

I know you see nothing wrong with shooting operations but I do. Guess we will just have to agree that I am right.

Nemont

You were right till you got the price of the tag. There is no tag in Sask. I'll agree with your last post up to there, how's that?

Bullshit hunt Spitz..but why sound like an ideologue of 280?:confused:

Didn't mean to sound like an idealogue, just sharing a bullshit hunt with the group. And, no qualms with Texas, it's just the main state I know of that has a number of high fenced ranches/hunts. :wank: :wank: However, I imagine the vast majority of hunts aren't high fenced.

There's just all that Texas pride you hear about, so it's kinda fun to 'kick ya in the jimmy' every now and then. :D

About 2% of the state is high fenced, so 98% is not.

Hey, here's a story about our state record archery whitetail, a walk in only hunt with no bait and no high fence and its the state record.
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/news/story?page=h_fea_TX_record_buck_Burkhead

I think we harvest more whitetails in this state every year than existed in the whole of the US around 1920. You don't sound so bad Spitz. Texas has more hunters and fisherman than any other state, last time I checked. Jump up and down and kick the air all you want.

seems those Texans are a tad sensitive. :D

How does the tameness of the elk on the nice low pressure private ranch compare to those at the other place being chased around all the time?
I can't answer your question, but I will throw this out there. How much pressure does it take to push a wild elk off a 640 pasture on private land in MT? How much pressure does it take to push a "wild" elk off a 640 high-fence pasture?;)

Texas has more hunters and fisherman than any other state, last time I checked. Jump up and down and kick the air all you want.

Yeah and Montana has the highest percentage of hunters per capita. When given the choice to either kill pets or ban pet killing the hunters voted to ban pet shooting operations.

A Thank You From Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks
It is safe to say that the state’s fish, wildlife and parks and our abundant recreational opportunities played a role in many people’s cherished memories this past year. Our state has the highest number of hunters per capita of any state in the union—about one in four Montanans. Over 190,000 Montanans purchased a fishing license in 2006, and about 70 percent of the 1.65 million visitors to our State Parks are Montanans.

How much pressure does it take to push a "wild" elk off a 640 high-fence pasture?;)

I would guess lots of pressure. Pretty tough to get a whole elk through one of them holes in the fence ;)

The archery deer mentioned in that link was killed less than an hour away from my house ina county that has never allowed gun hunting. He was killed on Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge. They have a very restricted hunter access program.

The guy that killed him is a taxidermist about 5 miles from me. Used him once - emphasis on the once. That's all I'll say about that.

High fences are taking over down here unfortunately. The subject has been beat to death a thousand times on this board and elsewhere, but smaller and smaller places are getting fenced. A huge place next to us got high fenced a year ago - about 80 miles worth. The guy that owns has since gotten into financial trouble and is already trying to unload it. Never hunted it last year that I could tell, but it sure messed us up. Hope he enjoys it.

These kinds of hunts aren't worth getting all stirred up about. They are just harvests. In the same vein, I don't consider buffalo hunts that are becoming more and more popular to much different - unless done off horseback with a bow or a spear. That being said, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of me ever shooting a buffalo, but I wouldn't consider it in the same league as my first forkhorn mule deer I shot down in a canyon in the mountains. Trophy might be bigger, but the memory wouldn't be.

By the way, I can attest first hand that you can chase a wild hog through a high fence. Don't know about an elk, but a properly motivated pig can go through one.

Did you have to grease that hog up to help him through the fence? hump hump :D :D

mtmiller, the idea is not to chase them, just let them act normal, then shoot them. Its the western places they get chased a lot, except for low pressure private places and back in the boonies of public land where few get there to chase them any. I don't think they hunt pets here, doesn't matter what kind of place it is. That 2% number I read a few years back, I think it is growing too. Lots of landowners here don't allow chasing, you wait them out, so they can act normal, walk where they want, run where they want, eat where they want, lay where they want. Its basically a good life, till they get shot. At least they don't get hit by cars.

Spitz, the wild hogs are free at a lot of high fence places managing for other species because they tear up the fence and habitat so much. Nobody greases them, I guess except the Montana pet hogs and other farm raised hogs.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back