MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Canada . . . or Texas?

I have never understood the "western mentality" of hunting? I enjoying killing...I could care less how it happens, fenced, no fence, 1st hour of hunt or 4 days later. I just like killing schit!!!

So those were my thoughts on this issue....
Attempt-1.gif

Bambistew, I never shot a bambi, I think you're basically an idiot when it comes to this topic who makes up shit about people you don't even know.

Hmmm wasn't it you that was all giddly about shooting a featus and its mother at the same time? Here's your sick and twisted quote... I'd post the picture but its just to twisted.

The baby was inside the doe I shot when I shot both of them. I guess the trauma of my bullet kind of gutted the mother. I shot the baby out. This is why I put this in adults. Yeah, I shot the foot off a third blackbuck and it ran away. I put the baby in the cooler at the meat processor, but we were trailing a deer the next night, so when I went back they already threw it out. I was going to try and tan it for a wallet or something, but lost it at the processor's. I learned to not try and shoot a jumping blackbuck antelope, I guess that's the moral of the story there.

You're right I don't know you and hope I never do. Trust me Tom, I woudn't go out of the way to talk to you on the street.

Here's another for you, you can buy an easy ass elk hunt "in the wild" if you want for like $13K on a place like Ted Turner's ranch or you can buy one a lot cheaper on a high fence place.

Why is cost always a factor with you? The only 'cost' I factor into a hunt is the price of the tag. You think Teddy's ranch is the wild? Oh I guess it would be compared to the places you hunt... Teddy doesn't have a big fence all the way around his place.

You think I"ve never been on an elk hunt, its your problem, I have in multiple states. I think you've never been on a high fence place with hunts and if you haven't, you're typing from ignorance and prejudice more than from experience. But then again, you're named after a cartoon character, so there's not big surprise there.

Acutally Tom (speaking of cartoons the one that comes to mind in which the not so smart half of a duo (cat) is constanly out smarted by a mouse, wierd), I did go on a high fence hunt in South Africa, two sides of the property were fenced to keep the animals in the national park thus creating a boundary on the property... the other two sides were open, for miles and miles.

From you post about elk hunting I would ssume that you're 'real elk hunts' involed a lot of sitting around camp wishing you'd brought your corn flinger or something. You're not even smart enough to know that elk are almost always found in herds. I guess 'in thier natural state in TX' they should be solitary, care free, and eating on a corn pile?

You're going to have to muster a lot more brain power (which I suspect isn't readily available) to put me down ol boy.

I have never understood the "western mentality" of hunting?
I don't think its a regional thing...

My problem with High Fences is when they are used for native species. To me, that's wrong. Using them for exotics, IMO, is just like raising livestock and somewhat justified.

I don't think its a regional thing...

My problem with High Fences is when they are used for native species. To me, that's wrong. Using them for exotics, IMO, is just like raising livestock and somewhat justified.

1 Pointer - My thoughts exactly!

I have never understood the "western mentality" of hunting? I enjoying killing...I could care less how it happens, fenced, no fence, 1st hour of hunt or 4 days later. I just like killing schit!!!
Flip, what is your take on "western mentality"? Could you tell me what this means? Also curious, is just killing, no matter how it happens a "Tennessian mentality"?

I am surprised that you of all people are just out there for the kill, expecially when I see pics with you and your daughter in the field. I have a hard time believing the two of you go hunting...er, killing just to kill.

I am still at the age where I want to kill something when I go out, but that is not the only reason I am out there. As most, I spend lots of days in the field without firing a shot or nocking an arrow. I hardly view these as wasted days.

Anyway, I was just looking for an excuse to keep this thread alive.:D

The blackbuck multiply quickly, that's why we were hunting them there at that ranch, to reduce the numbers. I wasn't giddly about it, but posted the picture in the restricted adults section, at the request of another member, maybe I should have just e-mailed it to them, as some may enjoy spreading such events for less than admirable reasons. Bambi is a cartoon character with human characteristics, not an animal, that is the point I was trying to make. It seems like you're saying a bambi is any little animal, born or unborn. I don't want to subscribe to that definition, I prefer thinking of Bambi as the actual cartoon character in the Disney movie and see no reason to adopt another definition. What I shot, was not Bambi, it was an antelope doe that had a fetus in it. As I said, the purpose of the hunt was to reduce their numbers on the ranch.

Why is cost always a factor? Because we have limited funds.

Ted Turners ranch hunts count in all the record books I know of, all the animals meet the criteria of living in the wild. As you seem to agree, they are not as wild acting there as other places. That's in fact, why I brought up the example of a low pressure private ranch, the animals often do not act as wild there as they can in other places.

I guess if you count the two sided high fence hunt as a high fence hunt and you in fact did go on it, then you are for, at least not opposed to, some uses of high fence. Is that correct, Bambistew?

Elk are naturally a herd animal, I know that. My elk hunts in Idaho and Colorado involved a lot of walking and sight seeing and no wishing for a corn feeder. What you assume and what you guess is up to you, right or wrong, assume and guess, all you want. I've never heard of anyone feeding elk corn in Texas. Corn is used to keep wildlife in the area here and to get them through droubts and other low food times, its not put in piles here.

MTmiller says "Anyway, I was just looking for an excuse to keep this thread alive."

OK....... How's this ..."western mentality"= people who live out west= short bus riders:D

Except for NYH. He went for kindergarden to college. He must have been born east of the mississippi.

"western mentality"...modified noun...a circular formation of 'know it all' pud pullers characterized by a smug confusion between geographical opportunity and moral/ethical superiority.:D :D

aka: antithetical to 'Texan';)

Pa mt man: shame on you...south of the Red & North of the Rio...perhaps you were thinking of Tomhump :D

Miller: how's that for keeping this stinker alive?:rolleyes: :D

I think Flipper is the one flinging corn (bait)...no way your out there just to kill- too many great pics with you and the daughter, I feel a leg being tugged on with that post ;)

Tom you wanted to tan out a fetus? Sorry man but that's a strange one even for you.

Ken, you hear the one about the blonde Texan who kept trying to put creamed corn through his flinger.......:D :D

I didn't want to waste it and I thought of a wallet, but it didn't work out, so I never did it. I got it too a cooler, but then got stuck tracking a deer that night and I guess they through it out, because I wasn't there to retrieve it. They thought the hide would fall apart if I tried to tan it anyway.

Does anybody know the history of why Pope and Young used to put high fence hunts in their book and now they stopped? They still kept the old ones in there, Chuck Adams commented about it in his biography. He has 3 whitetails from high fence in P&Y and said they were as wild as hell. That's an interesting remark.

Does anybody know the history of why Pope and Young used to put high fence hunts in their book and now they stopped?
Because they are advocates of "fair-chase" and in the clubs opinion, high-fence isn't "fair-chase".

It was and is, they keep some in the record book as they were determined to be fair chase, but they don't want to do it anymore. Too much work maybe, figuring out if a ranch satisfies their criterion. The old ones, determined to be fair chase, were and are, they are in the book. Fair chase depends on what book you're talking about and what time you're talking about and even what region you're talking about.

Did you know originally with B&C moose calling was not fair chase?

Fair chase depends on what book you're talking about and what time you're talking about and even what region you're talking about.

Wasn't your question about Pope & Young?:confused: In this case, and as per your question specific to P&Y, they no longer consider it fair chase.

As for deer being, as Chuck stated "wild as hell", I don't doubt it. But, at the end of the day they only have the opportunity to be "wild as hell" in an area dictated by man-made barriers. If that is your game, fine by me. At this point, not my cup of tea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ss8
Back