PEAX Equipment

can you call to loud

Slydog

This is a question that is asked quite often.
It will have many answers, in most cases all of them apply. Keeping in mind that every stand will be unlike the one before and every coyote will react in a manner conducive to his nature. No two coyotes react the same to calling or howling.

Can you call to loud and blow the target animals out, IE: run them off by using to much volume?

OK I'm taken notes......LOL

sly

Two examples, both about 500 yds away. No 1 completely ignored me, no more than a glance (Dec. 02). No 2 turned and came my way without thinking twice. It was in a grassy washout, I called with the Cronk Killer, in less than 2 minutes it ran right up the hill and came down the trail I was on causing me to take it out with the Swift at 20.'(Aug 15) Something to keep in mind, they dont always show up where you think. More often than not theyre opt to run directly to the level youre on and blind side you rather than come from down below. Ive seen 3 times now.Keep youre 3D vision on!
Edited to add a date
Brad

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-30-2003 03:36: Message edited by: brad h ]</font>

oh yeah, that very first hit on the call, if they are close and you start with the full lung blast,see ya.
Sometimes if they are coming in and you don't tone it down I've had some leave.
So I would say yes , you can call too loud.

For me it's a littler hard to tell sometimes. With some hearing loss from the service. How loud is to loud when you can't tell just how loud that you are bolwing the call. I have had hunting buddies 20 -30 yrds from me, I have called in the opposite direction and when the stand was over. They have commented on how loud it was.

I think in my area of the country it would be a bad thing,bino's are pretty much useless here,except to pick out the details of brush 100-200 yards away. Out West,while not always true,you sometimes have the advantage of being able to glass for long distances.

Here 200 yards is an exceptionally long distance to be able to see clearly what's ahead of you.So,as a result,it's probably better to call softly at first,and then increase in volume after you receive no vocal or observational answer within a given time period of your preference.

My volume level depends on where I set up to call. Some places are what I call "tight" and a coyote could be farily close. I don't start those stands at normal volume. Sometimes I will just start those with a lipsqueak, and go a series or two of that then go to the normal series.

I have "stood" on it , and had them bust, and I have done the same and had them run over the hill looking for me.
I had a group howling, 300yds out in the woods, I broke in on them loud enough for them to stop and answered the alpha when he howled back, My buddy shot him at 15 yds, I got this one on video.

I agree with slydog on this no two will act the same, and I vary my volume with the situation, which is usually based off of that funny feeling that you get.

later pup

Well I have always held a different opinion on this subject. It is to late for me to change it now.

When we hit that call, We become actors. Actors that are not portraying "distress" the PC word. We are trying to portray blind terror. For the first three years I called. I started low, And worked up.

One evening walking in from a stand I had one of my many thousands of revelations pop in my head. What if some creature with long teeth, And claws like razors jumped me?. I am suddenly being shaken , And torn apart for some creatures evening snack. Pain beyond comprehension.

Would I react with ouch, ooch, And little whimpers to this instant terror?. My answer is no. I am going to scream in a manner that would make Attila the Hun cringe. I will scream as loud as I can till he eats my screamer module.

Since that evening I open hard, And stay on it till I get a visual. If they slow down, I slow down. If the are humming in, I keep huffing.

When I sit down. I try to put myself in that rabbits head. I won't to be mentally him. I try to portray through my call what he is enduring.

Just one old limping dogs opinion.

And coming from you,it should be taken to heart,I know I will anyway.

I too try to visualize the whole attack,the inital terror,the wounding , the slow misery, the extra chomps toward the end, I try to throw the whole moment from beginning to end....I also picture the small lungs and try not to call with all my air, but at the same time if I can see a dog coming I'll slow way down to just misery.
I don't rest much in between series, my brother waits along time in between calls, and to tell you the truth he probably calls as many but it drives me crazy.
Usually around 15 min stands and if I'm trying a bobcat or such I'll stay on 30 minutes or so.

Seldom...I'll let you know about the weems when I find one,...

I generally start out low and then increase my volume on a stand. Redfoxes are much more timid coming to a call than anything else I've hunted. For them I call low and leave plenty of time between calls. But then I have to agree with Varmit Hunter about how a real rabbit screams when they are being torn up. I think they are much louder than any call I've ever blowed on.
wink.gif

Doug

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back