MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Can things like this be confirmed some how?

stilllearning

Look at the size of this thing. Is there any way to find out if it is real. I can not see anything in the picture to make it look like it may be rigged but then again............ Who knows.

Attachments

• CurtisBessesturgeon.jpg
    CurtisBessesturgeon.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 143
Just a really big sturgeon.

I'd say its real.

I've never seen one much over 10 feet, but I havent seen many of them.

Yep - it's a big one. The biggest I ever caught was about 6 feet. I've seen 14 footers caught. When I lived in Suisun City, in the California delta, they were a local fish. They put new regs in, limiting the sizes to above a certain minimum and below a certain maximum - I don't recall the regs - to protect the breeding stock.

They liked mud shrimp, chunks of fish, even small bullheads, etc. They sure tasted good! They have cartilage instead of bones, which cooks down so that you don't even notice the "bones" after cooking. The girls loved "Sturgeon McNuggets." ;)

Looks real to me. I've never seen one that big caught, but I know they exist.

They can get fuggin HUGE alrighty. F&G is about to impose a 4mo. moratorium on fishing for those or dinosaurs around here in the spawning season. Most are protected anyway via the slot limits. Sure fun tying into something that big...glad they don't have the teeth to match :eek:

Any idea where that thing was supposed to be from? Its a true monster for sure if it real, which it very well may be. There was a picture of one in our local paper quite a few years ago that was probably that size, maybe longer even. I found a dead one in the Snake river this summer working that was probably a 6 footer.

there are records and photos of sturgen caught on the columbia, pre dam, that are 20' long and pushing 1500 pounds. they live for more than 100 years of allowed.
I'll keep my eye out for the photo and if I find it I'll post one that's as big as the one in the photo. That is a hog though. It's likely a columbia or Frasier bc fish.

When I lived in Iran visited the Capsian city of Bandar Pahlavi, the largest sturgoen I saw was about 6 feet, but all the old guys would talk about the fish that were caught when they were young, before WWII. There were actually a few pictures of fish that were about 14-16 feet long. So this doesn't seem all that outrageous.

:cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back